Chamber Check?

This is a discussion on Chamber Check? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How often do you perform a chamber check, and what method do you use? Personally, I've gotten into a habit of doing a chamber check ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chamber Check?

Chamber Check?

How often do you perform a chamber check, and what method do you use?

Personally, I've gotten into a habit of doing a chamber check pretty much every time I pick up or put down a pistol. I've heard stories of people (CCWers, police) who carried around an empty gun for weeks without noticing, and I'm concerned about having a round available when I need it. So, I check whenever it comes out of the holster (usually because I'm going to bed or taking a shower) and when it goes back in. I was wondering if other people do this or if I'm just being paranoid.

As far as the method goes, I use a tactile chamber check technique that I haven't really seen described elsewhere. I use my off hand to grab the slide between the rear sight and the ejection port, put my thumb just below the hammer, and ease the slide back about half an inch. Then I reach in the ejection port with my pinky finger and feel for the cartridge. I like this technique because it lets me keep a master grip and doesn't involve putting my hand near the muzzle.

2. Remove Ads

Nope. I never check to see if the round is still there. I am the only one who ever has access to my carry pistol(s) and, minus cleaning and such, it is always loaded.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Question Is there one in the tube ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    How often do you perform a chamber check, and what method do you use?
    My method is probably unusual for most.I load a full magazine(observing the first round chamber),lock the safety.The cocked hammer serves as a loaded chamber indicator.You can then verify by checking the number of rounds in your magazine.

Senior Moderator
    Every time I pull the pistol out of the safe to holster for carry, I do a chamber check.

It's just an ingrained habit now.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    As far as the method goes, I use a tactile chamber check technique that I haven't really seen described elsewhere. I use my off hand to grab the slide between the rear sight and the ejection port, put my thumb just below the hammer, and ease the slide back about half an inch. Then I reach in the ejection port with my pinky finger and feel for the cartridge. I like this technique because it lets me keep a master grip and doesn't involve putting my hand near the muzzle.
    This is called a "press check" and I do it everytime I put a pistol on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I carry an XD45. It has a loaded chamber indicator.

I run a finger over it every time I holster the gun.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I always keep a round in the chamber. My XD 40 has a indicator on top of the slide to let you know that there is one in the chamber. The only time that its not loaded and ready to go is when its being cleaned.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

Kida got in the habit of doing a press check before I holster. No need really, I'm the only one with access to my guns and they are never unloaded unless shot to slide lock or cleared for cleaning or dryfire.
    str1

My Taurus has a place on the ejector that stikes out when there is a round in the tube. you can check by running your trigger finger over the extracter.

Administrator
    Wow, this thread is still young but I'm shocked by some of the responses.
    You dont check the chamber because its always loaded!? Do you never check the chamber of your other guns because they are always unloaded? See what I'm getting at here? Do eithier one, and your asking for an accident.

A word about the loaded chamber indicators... I dont like 'em. It gives yet another excuse for poor pistolcraft, and it will fail at some point in time. Maybe it will get gummed up and always stay out, leaving you to believe that the chamber is loaded. I equate their use in this manner the same as, "Dont worry, the safety is on" as I'm twirling the gun around on my finger.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 11th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep. With the Glocks, "Chambered Loaded" indicator, the Beretta's with a quick barrel tip up, or otherwise a visual inspection.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post

I like that chamber indicator better than the one on my USP. On mine, it's a red mark attached to the extractor that sticks out a bit when the chamber is full, but it's tough to tell which position it's in, and if it's dark, you can't tell.

I always press-check my gun every time I pick it up, along with ejecting the mag and checking its capacity. If there's enough light to see, I only pull the slide back enough to see the partially extracted brass. If it's dark, the pinky method works too.

every time go to carry it pull slide back far enough to see rim.

me
    I check every time I pick up the gun to put it into the holster, I also use the "press check" method.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post

I run a finger over it every time I holster the gun.

Same here, I really like the indicator. Light or dark it's easy (and certain).

Before I got this gun I always did a press check any time I picked it up or put it down. Even if I set it in front of me for 2 seconds and then picked it back up. Habit I guess, I think it's a good one.

Holdcard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links