Comfort Level

Comfort Level

This is a discussion on Comfort Level within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since receiving my CC permit. I have noticed I spend a lot of time transferring my pistol from holster to locked container and back to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Level

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Comfort Level

Since receiving my CC permit. I have noticed I spend a lot of time transferring my pistol from holster to locked container and back to holster again. I don't know about all of you but I feel a little uncomfortable during this time out of the holster. I just feel like this is a prime opportunity for a ND. Of course I follow all safety rules and practices but I still have that little voice saying this is a dangerous time. Because of this, I am thinking about going to a paddle holster and a larger lock box so that I can leave the pistol in the holster and still lock it up. This would be used for those times when I know I will be doing lots of transfers between holster and lock box. I would like to know how the rest of you feel about this time out of the holster?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Leaving it in the holster when you transfer it is definitely safer (assuming you've got a good holster that covers the trigger, of course). It's going to add a bit to your access times though.

Why are you transferring your pistol? Is this because you're going into a no-carry area (a.k.a. "Victim Disarmament Zone")? Are you locking it up when you're at home? Some other reason?

Depending on your weapon, and how often you wear it (determining how convenient this would be), perhaps just get an IWB clip-on?

I use a Center of Mass gun safe in my vehicle and carry in a Don Hume 715M clip-on at the moment. I can just drop the entire package into the safe when I'm entering a no-carry zone or otherwise.

Blackeagle
    I can't carry at work. So I am transferring when I get to work and when leaving work. I work in surgery so I must change into scrubs when coming on duty and back into street clothes after. This of course is done in a locker room with others in and out. So I remove my holster before entering the building. Don't want the hole world knowing I am carrying. I carry now either in a Laredo Defender or Max-Con V. Both are pretty easy is on and off but not as easy as a paddle would be. But back to the point. Not looking for alternative carry methods as much as was wondering If others worry about this or is it just me?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    It's a thought in my mind too, mostly when at home, and removing it for the night, or loading up in the morning for the day. Like you said, keep real sharp, and watch the 4 rules.

I'm no psych Dr. but it sounds like that little voice, means you are a person who is conscious of what he is doing, and the potential he holds in his hands. That sounds like a good thing. Nothing wrong there. IMHO
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Blackeagle
    I can't carry at work. So I am transferring when I get to work and when leaving work. I work in surgery so I must change into scrubs when coming on duty and back into street clothes after. This of course is done in a locker room with others in and out. So I remove my holster before entering the building. Don't want the hole world knowing I am carrying. I carry now either in a Laredo Defender or Max-Con V. Both are pretty easy is on and off but not as easy as a paddle would be. But back to the point. Not looking for alternative carry methods as much as was wondering If others worry about this or is it just me?
    Mike
    Sounds like you're going through a lot of trouble for something that shouldn't be. Perhaps alternative carry to/from the car and locker-room would be a less stressful alternative. Put the holster and pistol in a backpack before you leave the car, perhaps? That way the "transferring" takes place away from others and you're not handling the weapon somewhere where you're concerned someone will see you. Also, it won't be out in the open if someone opens your locker.

When you change into street clothes, you can either keep the weapon in the backpack or slip it on.

And yes, a paddle would make this easier.

You shouldn't be afraid on an ND. If you are, it is likely that you are unfamiliar with the gun or uncomfortable with its safetfy features (like some are with Glocks, for instance).

Besides, leaving it in a holster can hurt the finish on the gun...I would avoid that if possible.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    A paddle would make taking on & off easier, but I would check out the paddle holster first. Some paddle holsters have a ridge on the part that hooks to the clothes & in my opion isn't any easier than an IWB with a spring steel clip. A back-pack or even a fannypack would serve the purpose if you're dealing with just driving to & from work. They're easy, because you just unsnap it, store it & you're done without removing the handgun & alerting people that you're packing. A good paddle holster does the same thing, but you have to worry about someone seeing you.

I'm probably not answering what you asked. If you know how to safely handle a firearm (as I'm sure you do), I don't see any additional safety problems due to unholstering multiple times. Cops do it all the time when they have busines at a correctional facility.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    You shouldn't be afraid on an ND. If you are, it is likely that you are unfamiliar with the gun or uncomfortable with its safetfy features (like some are with Glocks, for instance).

Besides, leaving it in a holster can hurt the finish on the gun...I would avoid that if possible.
    katmandoo122, I don't mean to stomp on you, brother... but is your carry piece for work or for show? What kind of holster will hurt the finish on a gun by virtue of simply staying in the holster? Since the holster is meant to carry the weapon daily in the first place, it doesn't make sense to me that keeping it in the holster on your belt is ok while keeping it in the holster in your locker is not. Has this happened to you in the past?

Yes, you should always be afraid of an ND. Increased and unnecessary handling of the gun for no other reason that to transfer it from place to place inherently increases your chances for an ND.
    Concern over ND's does not always imply an unfamiliarity with one's weapon; nor is familiarity with one's weapon the only means of avoiding one.

Sounds to me like you are fearing the gun, not respecting it. It's not going to just shoot itself, just keep your finger off the trigger, and keep other obstructions out of the trigger guard and you'll be fine. Respect that it can kill you, but don't fear it's going to un-holster itself and do it while you sleep.

Katmandoo
    I do appreciate your feed back but would like to make it clear. I am not afraid, just uncomfortable. I am very familiar with my weapons and their safety features. I also know anything mechanical can fail and all of us can mess up. I have been shooting for about 40 years and have never had a ND and I attribute a big part of that to listening to that little voice.
    pickpocket
    Thanks for your suggestion. I do sometimes carry in a brief case when going to work and straight home. However I still need to lock it in my vehicle before entering the hospital. In Missouri it is illegal to carry into a hospital. Not only could I loose my job but my license also. Not worth the risk for me.
    Cockandlocked
    Carrying in my briefcase while commuting might be the answer if I just get a larger lock box. Thanks to all for your feedback.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Wow things are changing on this forum. It used to be people could have intelligent discussions about concerns without a bunch of condescending comments being made. hellion I am perfectly aware the gun will not jump out of the holster and shoot itself. People like you scare my when handling firearms. Being safe means more than just not touching the trigger. The point I was trying to make is weather people spend a little time thinking about the possibility of an accident. I know I do and will continue to do so.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Since I started carrying in a pocket holster, I leave it in the holster when I put away in my safe.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    pickpocket
    Thanks for your suggestion. I do sometimes carry in a brief case when going to work and straight home. However I still need to lock it in my vehicle before entering the hospital. In Missouri it is illegal to carry into a hospital. Not only could I loose my job but my license also. Not worth the risk for me.
    Mike
    Ahh - I misunderstood you, then. I thought you were locking it in the locker-room.
    Well, with that cleared up, there are times when I'll take the holster and weapon off and leave it in the car - but that's when I get caught unawares or make an unplanned stop somewhere I don't wish to carry for whatever reason.
    How about simply carrying it in your console to/from work? That way you're not taking it off and putting it on for a trip you know you're going to make every day. Keep it out of sight and lock the car - all things being equal your odds are that it'll stay safe while you're at work.

But as for your original question: yes, I find that a paddle holster is quite easier to put on/take off than one that I have to thread the belt through. YMMV.

Assistant Administrator
    No more condescension please

Indeed a paddle is quick on and off - and as long as the gun's manual of arms is totally familiar - plus the four rules all should be good.

My 226 is in and out with bathroom visits or change of cloths etc - and really the rules would have to be seriously compromized to have any risk.

I still maintain rule #2 is the biggest - because if there was an ND no one gets hurt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links