Salt Lake City, Utah Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on Salt Lake City, Utah Mall Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251603,00.html SALT LAKE CITY A gunman entered a mall Monday night and shot several people before he was killed, police said. "There have been ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City, Utah Mall Shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251603,00.html

SALT LAKE CITY A gunman entered a mall Monday night and shot several people before he was killed, police said.

"There have been multiple victims and there are some fatalities. ... I can't confirm the number," Salt Lake City police Detective Robin Snyder said in brief remarks outside Trolley Square.

"The suspect has been killed. He is no longer a threat," Snyder said.

The man entered the mall about 6:45 p.m. and began shooting randomly, she said.

The two-story mall, just southeast of downtown, is a refurbished old trolley barn, with a series of winding hallways and about 80 stores, including the Hard Rock Cafe and an Old Spaghetti Factory.

An antique-store owner, Barrett Dodds, 29, said he saw a man in a trench coat exchanging gunfire with a police officer outside a card store. The gunman was backed into a children's clothing store.

"I saw the cops go in the store. I saw the shooter go down," said Dodds, who watched from the second floor.

Barb McKeown, 60, of Washington, D.C., was in another antique shop when two frantic women ran in and reported gunshots.

"Then we heard shot after shot after shot loud, loud, loud," said McKeown, who believes she heard approximately 20.

She and three other people hid under a store staircase until it was safe to leave.

"We live in Washington, D.C. We're used to gunshots," said McKeown, wrapped in a blanket across the street. "I thought I was coming home to safety city."
    Not too much info yet, although the cops took the BG out at least. What do you guys think about that final quote in the article?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Another trench coated killer?
    Great, thanks for thinking what you see in movies was something worth emulating.

When will the disturbed kids stop wanting to be notorious serial killers?

I've been watching reports on this on the local news. Trolley Square is about a mile from my house. Ironically, it's the place I'm most likely to be out in public while unarmed (I go to a pub there to drink about once a month my rule is that guns and booze don't mix).

According to reports, the guy was using a shotgun and ended up getting killed by police. Five victims (plus the shooter).

Mall shooting in Utah

I was fortunate since we happened to be eating at the same restaurant as Trolly Square has (the Old Spagetti Factory) but we chose another Utah location for our birthday celebration. Thus we didn't witness the shootings, but it was a close call for us.

It's really too early to have all the details but it appears that an off duty police officer was involved in the final conflict with the shooter. My question for this forum is this. Just last month when I took my concealed weapons class, I was told that all police officers in Utah have essentially a concealed weapons permit issued to them so they can carry while off duty. In addition, they are also automatically issued a concealed weapons permit when they leave active duty (as long as it was not a termination for cause etc). Thus, given the way the Utah laws are written... wasn't it actually a concealed weapons holder who ended the conflict or at least stopped the shooter from killing more by engaging with him?

Of course the press would never word it that way, but given what I know of the situation, that's what it appears to be. It'll be interesting to see how this flushes out.

To see how this is unfolding on the local KSL news site, take this link and see first hand how the pro-vs-anti gun people fight in the news forums.
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...&comments=true
    Last edited by LovesGunsUT; February 13th, 2007 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Added a link

Quote Originally Posted by LovesGunsUT View Post
    I was fortunate since we happened to be eating at the same restaurant as Trolly Square has (the Old Spagetti Factory) but we chose another Utah location for our birthday celebration. Thus we didn't witness the shootings, but it was a close call for us.

It's really too early to have all the details but it appears that an off duty police officer was involved in the final conflict with the shooter. My question for this forum is this. Just last month when I took my concealed weapons class, I was told that all police officers in Utah have essentially a concealed weapons permit issued to them so they can carry while off duty. In addition, they are also automatically issued a concealed weapons permit when they leave active duty (as long as it was not a termination for cause etc). Thus, given the way the Utah laws are written... wasn't it actually a concealed weapons holder who ended the conflict or at least stopped the shooter from killing more by engaging with him?

Of course the press would never word it that way, but given what I know of the situation, that's what it appears to be. It'll be interesting to see how this flushes out.
    I believe that under current laws LEO"s can carry concealed off duty and all they need is their badge: so they don't get a CCW permit per se, their position automatically gives them carry concealed status.

VIP Member
    No, it was an off duty LEO, not a CCW holder. Not that it matters. It was a good guy with a gun. Something that the media will probably try to downplay.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I found this picture on the yahoo news story of the shooting. It shows a responding police officer lying over a dead victim with his gun drawn. I think it sums up the reality of the situation pretty well (that in this world you can only count on yourself for protection).

As far as I'm concerned there are six people who are dead that didn't need to be. It's time people wake up to the consequences of the "I don't need to carry a gun/police will save me" mentality. Until they do more people will die, I fear mostly for the innocent children because they have no choice how irresponsible their parents are when it comes to keeping them safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesGunsUT View Post
    First of all, welcome to CombatCarry...
    Glad you weren't involved, and you are correct...it will not be worded that way if it was an off duty police officer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out...please keep us updated..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Its really too bad someone wasn't able to take him down sooner. Tried to talk my fiance into getting a ccw, she says it isn't a bad idea to have a gun... but it just isn't hitting home with her yet. I told her all it takes is 1 person to snuff her out of existence and take her away from me... just like this guy did to the families of these victims.

this is one reason why I think it's good to ignore "no guns" signs on malls. A mall is a perfect place for some nut job to make a statement by doing something like this, and a perfect target for a terrorist too.

It's not like a concert, where you literally are packed so tight together that defending yourself with a gun would almost certainly put others in danger of being shot. I can somewhat see their concerns not wanting guns in places like that. But a mall is not THAT packed. Yes, it's got a fair number of people in it but chances are as soon as a gunshot goes off people are going to scramble out of the way. Besides, even if you decide to not try and stop the shooter as long as he doesn't threaten you... you're protected should they eventually come at you.

It's sad to say, but the mall management that places "no guns" signs, can have the death of innocent people on their hands... I have to worry about my own safety first, and also weigh whether I want weapons charges on my record, which would take away my right to have a ccw permit the rest of my life. But I'll be damned if I let myself die without a fight. That's why I carry in the mall even though I know guns aren't allowed. Besides, you have to be a detective to find the rules and regulations plaque and then actually know what it is to go over and read it.. before you know that no guns are allowed. I figure that's a good defense on my part.

Thank God there was a good guy there, otherwise more might be dead. I hope there is a special place in hell for worthless people who do this sort of thing.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sorry, I know this happened in Utah, but it is early and I wrote Ohio, maybe a mod can change it for me.
    I can only think that many lives could have been saved if there was one person in the mall with a CCW permit and the training to use their weapon. You may reply that you would hide in a corner, sorry I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't at least try to prevent a senseless slaughter. Here is the article on it.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...13011209990001
    Last edited by NCHornet; February 13th, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

If you'll recall, last year there was a shooting in the Tacoma Mall and there was a CCW person onhand to confront the shooter. The "Evildoer" was a kid of about 13 and he was spraying from a semi-auto rifle. Because of the kid's AGE...the rescuer hesitated, hoping to bluff the kid into a surrender but the kid shot him in the chest and he later died. When the kid ran dry of ammo, he was tackled.

I'm reminded of the movie: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...where the character played by Eli Wallach shoots a guy from his bubble bath as the guy was explaining why he wanted to kill him. After "Duco" kills the guy he says: "IF YOU HAVE TO SHOOT.....SHOOT! DON'T TALK!" And he pumps another into the still twitching body. Then the Eli Wallach character, "Duco" returns to his bath.

What's the lesson?

#1 In the mall: Old enough to shoot.....Old enough to get SHOT.

#2 In the movie....If you have to shoot......SHOOT! Don't talk!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Greetings, I merged three threads on the Utah Mall shooting. So it may seem a bit disjointed with three posters linking to the stories.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links