College Campus Carry

College Campus Carry

This is a discussion on College Campus Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A personal, solo attempt: According to the Texas law, (will look up exact law and update post) if you are given express written permission to ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Jo_Ice
  • 2 Post By BMcPhe44
  • 1 Post By AndyH
  • 2 Post By d2jlking
  • 3 Post By hick63
  • 1 Post By Jo_Ice
  • 1 Post By OUTLAW72
  • 1 Post By AZ Desertrat
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By MiserableOldGit

Thread: College Campus Carry

College Campus Carry

A personal, solo attempt:

According to the Texas law, (will look up exact law and update post) if you are given express written permission to carry in a school or on campus, you can legally do so.

My argument is mounting in my personal folder as when I confront my campus president and/or dean. I want to have a rock solid case and reason to carry. Between bomb threats and an active stabbing that have happened on campus in the period of only a few years, I want to carry. If the newest law of open carry becomes law, I will feel the NEED to carry honestly.

The question I ask this community is: What is the best method in this attempt to ask to carry? Possible flaws or damming arguments against me? Best way to address the issue(s)?

Anything and everything is welcome. I want a 360 understanding of this to best hey my points across.

About me: US Army (SO)(A) veteran. Have had weapons (rifle and pistol) training with the Rangers and external sources. Have been and active carrier for 3 years. Had a license in NC and now carry one in TX. I'm a 24 year old male with nothing but a speeding ticket or 2 on record. Carry a .38+P S&W special.
    Last edited by Jo_Ice; February 25th, 2015 at 10:17 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Welcome to the forum and to Texas as well. Thank you for your service. You have taken on a tough test and I admire you for trying. I am sure you know that the administration and professors at our institutions of higher learning are among the most anti-gun people in the State. Unless you attend a university or college who truly believe in the COTUS and the RTKAB it will be a tough sell unless we can get some support from our (hopefully) conservative state government. Factually, 18 to 25 year olds can make really stupid decisions and the liberals use that against them. Not all people your age have your background and apparent commonsense so this will be one of the resistance points in allowing campus carry. There are people on here that can give you excellent advise on how best to proceed and I am sure some will. I support your quest and hope you succeed and let us know how it goes.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

Unfortunately McRaven also has a rather good background serving this country and seems like a smart guy, yet wrote a letter protesting campus carry.

I would love to help you as I live in the Austin area and feel strongly about campus carry as well and will keep an eye out for facts that support your case. The unfortunate truth is that the biggest fact that the administration at UT (I just realized you didn't say UT or any other school, my bad, which school are you looking to talk to?) or any other school has to rely on is that there are just a lot of people that don't like the idea of campus carry, and in the end they need to serve their people.

So with that being said, you may get better/faster results if you are at an institution with a hostile administration if you can increase the number of people for campus carry, or at least decrease those that are vocally against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_Ice View Post
    A personal, solo attempt:

According to the Texas law, (will look up exact law and update post) if you are given express written permission to carry in a school or on campus, you can legally do so.

My argument is mounting in my personal folder as when I confront my campus president and/or dean. I want to have a rock solid case and reason to carry. Between bomb threats and an active stabbing that have happened on campus in the period of only a few years, I want to carry. If the newest law of open carry becomes law, I will feel the NEED to carry honestly.

The question I ask this community is: What is the best method in this attempt to ask to carry? Possible flaws or damming arguments against me? Best way to address the issue(s)?

Anything and everything is welcome. I want a 360 understanding of this to best hey my points across.

About me: US Army (SO)(A) veteran. Have had weapons (rifle and pistol) training with the Rangers and external sources. Have been and active carrier for 3 years. Had a license in NC and now carry one in TX. I'm a 24 year old male with nothing but a speeding ticket or 2 on record. Carry a .38+P S&W special.
    Campus Carry is in the Texas legislature now. I hope your quest becomes a mute point. Best of luck Sir. I am wondering why Open Carry would change your mind from "want to carry to Need to carry". Bomb threats and stabbings would seem enough of a need. Not sure Open Carry would change my own view on want or need.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

A couple of recent threads that may help.

Ban Gun-Free Zones

S.E. Cupp weighs in on Campus Carry

And a plethora of studies: Crime Prevention Research Center - To subscribe to the CPRC, write us at info@crimeresearch.org & put "subscribe" in subject line

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW Welcome to the Forum.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    I am wondering why Open Carry would change your mind from "want to carry to Need to carry".
    Because there are always police around. The school has done a good job on security although I'm no expert. The location in town also favorable. The increase in guns that would likely follow the bill passing puts weapons in hands i don't necessarily trust or think should own a weapon. Although I do understand criminals don't care about the gun sign lol. I would carry open if I had to but CC is more my style as I don't want to alarm anyone or draw any attention.
    Last edited by Jo_Ice; February 26th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I would say before you approach your campus pres., I would show him your CHL, and let him or her know you are familar with your weapon as far as time on the firing range. It's going to be a new concept for the college higher ups. You have to present a mature and knowledgeable case. Your military service will help greatly I would assume also.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I was thinking of a demo of a retention holster as a possible stipulation into on campus conceal carry. Might make her feel a bit better. Maybe a video would suit. There is one in mind that saved a female officers life from a rather large male.

I only knew the president's name until now. I saw her picture. ~50 years of age, African American and female. Not to be stereotypical...but the likelihood of a dead off set "no"......

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I hope everyone jumps on this bandwagon! Some college kids ARE capable of handling that responsibility,.......some are not.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hi Jo_Ice! Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texian. This is a great place to learn and to share! I carry a 3rd Gen Glock 30 SF. Congrats on deciding to learn more about conceal carry and making the decision to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Thank you for your service to our country!

Here's the pertinent law for CONCEALED CARRY:

PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense
    if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a
    firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds
    or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution
    is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or
    educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public
    or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the
    institution
    ; (https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/intern...rms/CHL-16.pdf)
    My personal preference would be to conceal carry (Carry Always Never Tell) if campus carry passes (84(R) SB 11 - Introduced version - Bill Text)

Btw, according to Breitbart:

SB 17 would allow those who have qualified for a CHL to also carry a handgun openly, in a belt or shoulder holster. Current Texas law allow the open carry of long guns like shotguns and rifles.

SB 11 would allow those who have qualified for a CHL to carry their guns inside campus buildings. Current law allows CHL holders to carry on campus, but they are not permitted to bring their weapons inside. Texas law restricts CHLs to American citizens who are 21 years of age or older (or qualified military veterans), and there are additional requirements for a background check and safety and proficiency training. The majority of college students would be too young or otherwise unable to qualify for a CHL under these restrictions. Texas Open Carry & Campus Carry Bills Pass Committee
    CANT
    ---------
    Carry Always, Never Tell!
    Jo_Ice likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo_Ice View Post
    Because there are always police around. The school has done a good job on security although I'm no expert.
    Just remember...when seconds count, the police are minutes away!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

It may be a moot point soon anyway, as there is a bill going through the Texas legislature right now which may well allow CCL holders to carry on campus. I'd probably wait a little and see if it passes because it almost certainly will.
    Jo_Ice likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links