Flying with your gun

Flying with your gun

This is a discussion on Flying with your gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that it is legal to take your gun with you when you fly out of the state,(assuming you don't fly to an anti ...

Thread: Flying with your gun

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Flying with your gun

I know that it is legal to take your gun with you when you fly out of the state,(assuming you don't fly to an anti rights state) but it has to be unloaded and in a locked piece of luggage, which gets checked. (you don't keep it with you) I do know that you have to notify them of what is in it, but I have never done this.

Anyone been through the drill?

What happens if you have a layover someplace where it is illegal to have your gun? (NY or LA for example)

Personally, I hate flying for a number of reasons. However my company was recently bought out, and the parent company now wants us to go visit a couple of mfg sites. I am trying to get out of it, but if I don't the info will be useful to me.

Red face

I've never tried to fly with the gun. I'm thinking of telling my company I'm afraid of flying, and just drive to the destination. I like seeing the scenary from ground-level anyway!

from Packing.org

Minimum requirements for airline transportation of firearms:

The handgun must be UNLOADED.
    This is probably a federal law requirement.
    The firearm needs to be in a lockable container within the baggage.
    I've seen lockable gun-cases for as little as \$20-40.
    The luggage needs to be lockable
    Some airlines seem to require "hard" luggage like a sampsonite-type that gorillas jumped on in the commercials some time ago.
    The ammo should not be in the same baggage as the firearm.
    Think if someone does open your baggage, do you want to provide them with everything?
    Don't try to carry the ammo onto the plane.
    I was once stopped at the gate and made to "surrender" a keychain of a 5.56 dummy round. No weapon-like objects on planes...period!
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

from TSA

Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
    Transporting Special Items

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

Following is a summary of key regulatory requirements to transport firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage:
    All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
    The container must be locked.
    The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.
    Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. A magazine is not considered to be packaging for ammunition.
    Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.

The regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and the imposition of civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Do what you want to do....but I would not fly thru or to Chicago, NYC, LA, SF, on a bet with a gun, properly noted and tagged, in my luggage.

We have people flying in to attend a class in lower Mi, near Chicago, and all are advised to use a regional airport not located in Illinois.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    CAUTION: There are documented cases of people flying thru NY/NJ airports and being arrested when they pick up their luggage (even if it is just to check it with the next airline) while in transit!

DO NOT fly thru NY/NJ AIRPORTS (LGA, JFK or EWR) to avoid this potential problem. To put it bluntly, they do NOT honor FOPA and it will cost you a bundle to fight it.

Any thoughts on flying into Hawaii? I didnt take any guns on the plane the first time I moved to and from there, this time I plan on flying with my 1911 in my luggage.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    CAUTION: There are documented cases of people flying thru NY/NJ airports and being arrested when they pick up their luggage (even if it is just to check it with the next airline) while in transit!

DO NOT fly thru NY/NJ AIRPORTS (LGA, JFK or EWR) to avoid this potential problem. To put it bluntly, they do NOT honor FOPA and it will cost you a bundle to fight it.
    YIKES! Although I am not too surprised. This is exactly why I posted this.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll threaten to quit if they want to make me go. LOL

Thanks everyone for the added info on NY,NJ and the rest of the repressed states. I guess I will not take my pistol back to NY. Maybe I will forego that trip.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Thanks everyone for the added info on NY,NJ and the rest of the repressed states. I guess I will not take my pistol back to NY. Maybe I will forego that trip.

~A
    To give you some idea how bad NY (state) is, I offer the following info (that is ~7-8 years old):
    - I belong to an LE organization which used to hold its annual convention in the Catskills.
    - They used to have a competitive pistol match as part of the event (all LEOs or retired LEOs).
    - The NY LEOs suggested that they drop the match and advised the traveling brothers (and sisters) that it was ILLEGAL for them to bring handguns into NY State!
    - This was before HR218, but still it was an organized match, all LEOs . . . and it was still a no-no!

The source of the above info was a Sgt with a major MA city PD (and past president of the MA chapter of said organization) and he used to win a lot of those matches in NY!

Even in MA (where the laws are hideous), our laws allowed any LEO (from anywhere in the US) to CCW on their badge. This law became a bit more restrictive in 1998, but this is a lot better than many of our surrounding (to the South and West) States!

Before HR218 (and I wouldn't want to bet my future on HR218 today either), NY and NJ would NOT allow LEOs from the other state to travel armed thru their state even on their way to work (lots of folks live/work in different states in Western CT, NY, NJ)!
    Last edited by LenS; February 23rd, 2005 at 12:41 AM.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar

Nyc

New York City is still on the fence about HR 218.
    It seems right now they're not recognizing it's existance.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    New York City is still on the fence about HR 218.
    It seems right now they're not recognizing it's existance.

AFS
    Heck, they don't recognize FOPA (1986?), so why should they recognize HR 218?

Each airlines has their own policy call them and ask. I did, it was easy, all I had to do was tell them, and they sent me to a special check area, where they looked checked sealed and that was it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I would only, and have only checked my handguns on itrastate flights. A flight that you go from point "A" to point "B" without a stop. Such as a flight from Las Vegas, Nv. to Reno, Nv. Your legal both ends, no chance, opps, little chance of your box-a-guns getting lost.

I have called JFK, (NYC), and to fly from Nv into JFK with handguns in checked luggage will get you arressted.

Unfortunatly, I ship my handguns, at least there is a tracking number, and they are insured.

Sponsored Links