"Interaction" with Utah Governor

This is a discussion on "Interaction" with Utah Governor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the Governor of Utah is surprisingly unfriendly toward ccp holders. He vetoed a recent bill that had passed both houses with large majorities. I emailed ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 5 Post By farsidefan1
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 4 Post By patri0t
  • 5 Post By farsidefan1
  • 2 Post By TRX
  • 3 Post By farsidefan1

Thread: "Interaction" with Utah Governor

VIP Member

the Governor of Utah is surprisingly unfriendly toward ccp holders. He vetoed a recent bill that had passed both houses with large majorities. I emailed him asking what was his position regarding the second amendment and ccp holders rights.They did not include my original email but it was brief (emails are listed in reverse order of occurance). Here is the response and my "reresponse":

"As you can imagine, the Governor receives a very high volume of contacts each day, including letters, emails, and phone calls.

If you would like to discuss this issue at greater length, please feel free to contact our office at XXXXXXX (my deletion) and a member of our staff will be happy to speak with you.

Thank you sharing your position on this important issue with our office.

Constituent Services

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:48 PM, jay <@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thank you, please allow me to respond with the same time and thought as your response indicates.

Blah blah blah

I hope this did not overwhelm your time obligations.

To: @hotmail.com
    Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 1027 -0700
    Subject: Constitutional Carry

February 24, 2015

Dear Jay:

Thank you for your email to the Office of the Governor regarding Constitutional Carry. I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Governor.

Our office appreciates hearing from constituents and your comments and opinion regarding this issue have been noted.

Thank you for taking time to contact us regarding this matter."

I will call him tomorrow for some details. Be interesting to see if I get the time of day. I'll post the results - good or bad. I was pleasantly surprised to get a response to my admittedly sarcastic reply to the generic answer I initially received.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I've frequently written letters to my reps. Personally, I refuse to let go such blatant refusals to answer the basic questions, if asked straightforwardly and simply. I appreciate there's not all the time in the world, and that no all questions can be fully answered to my own level of satisfaction. But, these are our own hired staff, and they work for us. To blow us off is not acceptable.

On a few occasions, I've written a reply dismissing the earlier letter that was lacking with a reiterated request the question be answered. Invariably, I've gotten a reasoned response. Rarely have I had to get blatant and terse, but I have said (on a few occasions) that non-answers aren't acceptable and I want an answer to my question.

With many reps, I've never had to go there. What responses I've gotten from many of them have been well-reasoned, cogent arguments about why or why not such a thing could be done, along with what steps are being pursued to rectify the problem. Love these reps, for my part, so long as they're doing their basic jobs well.

Of course, that's me. Can't say this technique will work for others, or even in all cases. But I figure that at the end of the day the average hired staffer knows full well who butters their bread. I, for one, won't allow the worst of them to forget that.
    msgt/ret and farsidefan1 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    The man is a true 'Anti-American' who thinks he knows better than congress and doesn't seem interested in the 'will-of-the-people' he is supposed to be 'serving' .... not 'ruling'.
    These are the clowns we need to vote out of office.
    I wouldn't waste more time on him, better to spend your efforts toward obtaining your goal... or campaigning for his replacement.
    Aceoky, msgt/ret, RichB70 and 1 others like this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    The initial response was such a canned letter I just couldn't let it go. for 15 yrs I was legislative co-chair for Utah's financial industry and I worked closely with multiple govs and legislative leaders hence my rather prickly comment. I don't know Herbert as I got fed up with the process about 15 years ago and left cold turkey but I still know a lot of folks. I will call and see if we can meet. I just don't understand his reticence to support these issues. I will keep you posted.

TRX
    Some time ago I saw a motorhome parked near the Post Office, blazoned with my Congressman's name, with a sign saying to stop and visit with him. He was doing a rolling "meet and greet", basically; it wasn't even an election year.

Since there didn't seem to be anyone waiting in line, I thought "Why not?" and went in. We exchanged greetings, and he asked what problem he could help me with. I told him I didn't have a problem, I thought he was going a good job and to keep it up. He was gobsmacked; he said that was the first time anyone had told him that in his entire career.

Alas, he got beaten by major PAC money at the next election and retired.
    DingBat and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    I spoke to a Mr. Cox of constituent services and he claims that any rumors of the govs lack of support for the second amendment could not be further from the truth. I pointed out that such did not seem to square with his veto of constitutional carry which had passed both the house and senate but he said the gov felt that our system wasn't broke and didn't need a fix. I quoted 2 of the second amendment foundation guys who spoke in person to the gov who told them he favored universal background checks and felt that it was appropriate even for bb guns.

Hmm. Major supporter of second amendment? I'll wait for him to call back with more detail on the govs universal background checks. Things look a bit left at the top here in Utah.
    DingBat, msgt/ret and ccw9mm like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links