Learned a lesson today-wasn't carrying

This is a discussion on Learned a lesson today-wasn't carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as some of you know I am new to the concept of guns. I applied for my CCW and held my first firearm the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Learned a lesson today-wasn't carrying

So as some of you know I am new to the concept of guns. I applied for my CCW and held my first firearm the same day I found out that my family's lives could be potentially in danger. Was very anti-gun before. Learned a lot since then. A little background, we obtained emergency custody of my 3 step children about a month and a half ago after finding out my stepchildren's mother was on and dealing meth, and running with some very high profile manufacturers. She has been unable to have contact with the kids since then, and is very upset to say the least. I applied for my CCW on jan 10. Still have not recieved my permit, however have mostly carried at home and been to the range and taken classes multiple times since then. We also installed security cameras around our home.
    Today was a busy day running around. We met with the lawyer. I dropped tax info at CPA. I went to Home Depot twice. Met with 2 carpet installers (we are selling our home to buy a bigger house). I have been in and out all day long...going to and from the safe to arm myself every time I left and came back seemed pointless at that moment. Nothing significant(to our lives) had happened.
    We have been very diligent about keeping all of our doors locked. My husband had to run to the store, then to his brothers house. All except our oldest daughter were in bed. She and I snuggled in to watch some walking dead.
    Halfway through the show, our german shepherd started going nuts barking at the front door, the way he only does when someone comes to the door. I told him to hush, thinking my husband was home from the store. He kept going but it was different-instead of barking rampantly at the front door he was running back and forth between the front door and the garage door. My daughter said surprised "what's wrong with Axel??" I stood up and said "I don't know", as I realized I was NOT armed. On my way to the bedroom I checked the front and garage doors, assuring they were locked, obtained my gun from my safe, quickly checked it was still loaded (always is), holstered, on my circle back checked the two back doors, then went to the security cameras and reviewed the previous 10 minutes (absolutely nothing was going on).
    I don't know why my dog behaved in this manner. This is completely new and he acted exactly as we trained him to when someone came to the door. No evidence of anyone on the cameras. Yet I realized I was at least 30 seconds too slow if it was a real threat.
    So aside from the fact that I was not carrying at home, how would you modify my behavior? I did not want to scare my stepdaughter, who is already worried about her mother coming to take her again.

Perhaps your dog knew you were unprepared and just wanted to put you through the drill?

It can be a struggle to work a firearm in to your everyday routine. Do not let this one lapse bug you, it happens to the best of us.

One thing you can do to give yourself more time is buy one of the door jamb devices, there are multiple kinds, but the one I like goes under the door knob and wedges against the floor. It will not stop a determined BG from getting in, but it will force them to take longer and the added resistance will likely cause them shoulder, hip, or leg injury depending on what part of their body they are using to break the door in.

Sounds like those kids really need a stable home and I commend you for taking them in.

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Perhaps your dog knew you were unprepared and just wanted to put you through the drill?

It can be a struggle to work a firearm in to your everyday routine. Do not let this one lapse bug you, it happens to the best of us.

One thing you can do to give yourself more time is buy one of the door jamb devices, there are multiple kinds, but the one I like goes under the door knob and wedges against the floor. It will not stop a determined BG from getting in, but it will force them to take longer and the added resistance will likely cause them shoulder, hip, or leg injury depending on what part of their body they are using to break the door in.

Sounds like those kids really need a stable home and I commend you for taking them in.
    That is a very sweet, considerate, and thoughtful answer. With no judgement! Thank you so much!
    RScottie, airslot, Aceoky and 6 others like this.

I have seen my dogs get freaked out by the surround sound on the TV several times over the years so that is a possibility if you have surround sound. Use this as a learning experience and move on.
    RichB70 and Eric357 like this.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    A lot of us here keep a small CCW piece, such as a .38 snub or pocket automatic on our person at all times. My wife and I are watching COPS right now on the couch, kids are in bed, and my .22 Mag NAA Mini Revolver is in my front jeans pocket, exactly where it has been since I put my pants on this morning.

Best of luck to you and your family! Stay Safe!

When I was new to guns I didn't carry, eithr at home or away. Learning the importance of always having a defensive tool RIGHT THERE takes time. You did learn a very valuable lesson today. I'm sure you will soon be keeping your gun on your body every moment that it is legally and physically possible (not possible in the shower, but I keep mine on top of the toilet tank within reach when I am in the shower and I only take showers when my husband is home to "guard the house").

You have made great progress in applying for a carry permit and especially in getting the proper training. I admire you for taking in these children and giving them a stable home AND for doing what is necessary to protect them. God speed.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    What kind of weapon do you have and how do you carry it now? Another question is how do you normally dress? Pants are how us guys dress so we are all fired knowledgeable about gun belts and IWB or OWB holsters. You need something that works for you. There are some sites that specialize in lady carry gear.

One specialty shop is A Shooting Affair another is Holsters - Buy holsters for women online and a final one Women's Holsters

That should get you started with some possibilities. Good luck, sounds like a tough situation and I think you are taking all the right steps. Best wishes
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    With the acute hearing a dog has he may have heard something he thought you needed to be alerted to, thing is they may have seen the cameras and avoided them but decided the dog was more than they wanted they wanted to face.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Dogs sort of live in the past present and future. They can smell the past, smell see and hear hear the present, and smell and hear a near future you cant.

Someone may have been just outside of camera range saw the cameras or heard the dog or both and figured their surprise presence or stealth presence was blown.

Not much else other than locked doors you could have done other than be armed but you already said other than that.

When you are carrying daily itll be easier to be armed at home as you wont have to be arming and disarming every time you leave the house. But as you found out until then arming yourself when you are home every time could well be worth the hassle.

I dont think doing so will scare your step daughter. Probably more reassure her. I and the wife are openly armed at home and out all the time. The grand kids or our grown kids would be more disturbed to see one of us not be as its simply the norm.
    ccw9mm, vice87, ks kid and 5 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

like Ghost said, dogs are funny.

my fathers tiny poodle would bark in the middle of night (at G knows what 4 blocks away) forcing me to arm up, creep down the stairs and listen for anything unusual.

my wifes schnauzer started growling at the tv the other day when I paused a show on an actors face. my coonhound started barking all of a sudden and I look over and she's in doggy dreamland.

but no matter what they bark at, they sense things we never would so great on you for reacting to her unusual behavior. do that every time.

as for armed in the house, i keep my edc on my nightstand if i sleep in the bedroom. working nights, i usually crash on the couch so i put it near me somewhere. when I'm up and around, i like to be comfortable, usually sweats or gym shorts so i keep it on the entertainment center during the day. my house is small so i don't need to move it room to room. with kids though, I'm not sure. a small revolver in your pocket is probably safest than leaving it lying around like me. definitely carry on person if the only other option is in the safe.

glad you all are ok and keep frosty through the rough times.
    Last edited by vice87; February 26th, 2015 at 06:09 AM.
    Recon1342 and msgt/ret like this.
    Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Ephesians 6:13

Maybe he got freaked out by the show...

A very valuable lesson learned. Aside from carrying whenever possible, for times when it's NOT possible, do you have any other defensive tools, like pepper spray? It's not a gun, but it's better than nothing.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    A lot of us here keep a small CCW piece, such as a .38 snub or pocket automatic on our person at all times. My wife and I are watching COPS right now on the couch, kids are in bed, and my .22 Mag NAA Mini Revolver is in my front jeans pocket, exactly where it has been since I put my pants on this morning.

Best of luck to you and your family! Stay Safe!
    ^^^^^ This. My EDC is by my from the moment I get dressed till I go to bed. Pocket carrying a small gun (Ruger LCP) is very handy, and can be accomplished with many outer garments. I can wear mine around the house in the evening in basketball shorts. I did the "dog barks, go retrieve gun" for a while until I started keeping my gun on me.
    ks kid likes this.

Glad to hear it was nothing other than a lesson learned. While you were retrieving your firearm, where was your daughter and your other kids? Based on what you have said, I would highly suggest you put a plan together so your family knows what to do in this type of situation. I would also suggest finding an instructor who can help you with the plans and teach you the best way to protect your family in the home. Room clearing and defending a position requires a different mindset and training than an encounter on the streets.
    Good luck to you and remember to enjoy life, it might seem tough now but this will pass.
    ravinlunachick likes this.

While sitting around with my family i don't like to be armed because my daughter is young and likes to rough house with me. So keep my gun in the next room up very high where she can't climb on anything to get to it. I am looking into getting a couple of small safes to keep it in but haven't found the right one yet. I do have a gun vault in my van for when I am at work and have to disarm. It works well. So in the meantime I lock my daughter out of the room so she would have to get past a a door lock and then move some stuff around or get a ladder to climb to try and get to it. It only takes me about ten seconds to get to it. Maybe less.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Back when "CC" (Rottweiler) was alive he rarely barked. If you approached our home after dark the only warning you got was a deep throated growl from behind. If he was in the back of my pickup there would be NO warning at all if you tried to open a door or get something out of the back of the truck !!!!! My grandkids rode him like a pony and he LOVED it !! Favorite toy was a 15 inch steel belted radial tire. He could destroy one in a month or so. R.I.P. "CC".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links