Handgun possession in Kansas Age Question

This is a discussion on Handgun possession in Kansas Age Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother called me today with a question that I think I know the answer to, but Im going to throw it out here for ...

Thread: Handgun possession in Kansas Age Question

My brother called me today with a question that I think I know the answer to, but Im going to throw it out here for other opinions. He likes to go out shooting with me whenever he can. But since he turned 18 a couple months ago he has been going out with a couple of his friends to shoot. As far as I know they have just been shooting shotguns out at our parents land. Hes asked me to take my AR out a few times, and I let him. Today he asked me if sometime when they go out if he can use one of my pistols. I told him that I wasn't sure If that would be ok If there is no one over 21 with him, but I would check and let him know. I talked to a couple of my friends that are in the sheriff's department because were they are going to be shooting is in their jurisdiction. They seemed to act like it wouldn't be an issue in thier opinion. So then, I decided befor I called my bro back, I'd run it past my sergeant. He told me that if he wasn't 21 that he would get a weapons charge if he was caught with it. So, as you can see, I have conflicting opinions and am not sure what to say. Right now, Im thinking I'll tell him to wait tell I can go with them. What do you all think?

I think your gut is pointing you in the right direction. Anyhow, I would always choose to err on the side of responsibility with my weapons--and kin.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think he'ld be OK if one of your sheriff friends caught your brother because they know you, but otherwise he's open to a weapons charge. I believe a person has to be 21 in order to own &/or possess a firearm, unless they have permission from the Chief of police or Sheriff of that jurisdiction.

My current Dept. has had a few guys start with us before they turned 21. They needed written consent from the Chief to purchase their firearm & be able own & carry it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I used to drive to High School with a loaded Model 19 Revolver in the truck.

It was legal because it was in a holster and I had my parent's permission. Try that now and I'd be doing time. It all depends on your State's laws. Now, even in my State, an "adult over the age of 21" must accompany a minor in possesion of a handgun.

Personally, I know it's your Brother and all, I'd not loan him any guns and only let him shoot them under my supervision. That's just me. I know very few people that I would trust enough to loan a gun to. The legal liability I would exspose myself to is too ENORMOUS to even consider.

Biker

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    In Indiana we issue CCW permits and give handguns to 18 year olds.

Like was previously stated, it depends on the state.

There is no federal statute to the best of my knowledge dealing with this.

I was running around with a handgun when I was 16, but this was on my parents' property and was legal. If I had taken it off of my property I would have been illegal.

I think the safest bet is to take a look at your CCW permit laws and the legal age to get one. I wouldn't transport a pistol without one; in fact, in Indiana, it's illegal to do so except in a couple instances.

Josh <><

Go to google and type in ".............. gun laws" fill in the blank with your state. It is very important that you know the laws of your state. A internet forum is no place to get this info. the folks giving it won't be in court with you if their wrong. I know everyone means well and the majority of the time their info is accurate, but there is no substitute for reading the laws for yourself, and then pass them on to friends that have guns.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Kansas State Annoted 21-4204a has the answer.

Your brother should be ok. However he may want to get a print out of the statute just in case. As you have already learned LEOs are not always well versed in firearms laws. They have a lot of laws to know and be aware of, and the details of firearms laws aren't always high on their lists. So being right doesn't mean he won't be arrested.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    For CCW in Kansas, must be 21 or over.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Kansas State Annoted 21-4204a has the answer.

Your brother should be ok. However he may want to get a print out of the statute just in case. As you have already learned LEOs are not always well versed in firearms laws. They have a lot of laws to know and be aware of...
    Good point , but bmwaddicted says he is an LEO...
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are a lot of jurisdictions where some gun laws in Kansas are not enforced. Here out in western Kansas, we don't understand why the people in the eastern part of the state are so strict on guns. We have them in our pickups, cars, CCW and it is not unusual for kids going out to shoot with their 22's and walking to the site. They would be arrested elswhere. Steve48

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Because the closer you get to the idiots in Topeka that are running this state, the more stupid simple things get.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Thanks Scott for the info, I looked at the statute and It seems like he would be ok. Im surprised that my sergeant wasn't aware of this statute, but I wasn't either. I've yet to deal with a situation like this so thats the reason I didn't know. If I were to pull someone over under the age of 21 in wichita that had a handgun, chances are it would be loaded, and they would be taking a trip to county anyway. Plus a fact, Im just LE, not an attorney, so you can't expect me to know all the laws, as scott mentioned. I found a document similar to the one you found Scott through the NRA. The only problem was that at the end, it had a disclaimer stating that It couldn't be used as legal defense, or something to that effect. Also, my brother is not trying to 'carry', he is just wanting to take one out to shoot targets. I already know he can't get his CCW until he is 21. So what I've decided is Im going to print out that statute and tell him to put It in his glove box. Also Im going to give him one of my cards to give to a sheriff If he has a problem. I'll let him take one if he wants and hopefully it won't be an issue. Hes responsible and has been around guns alot with me, so I think he will be fine.

Sponsored Links