Killing a human is not a game. - Page 2

Killing a human is not a game.

This is a discussion on Killing a human is not a game. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how true youre story is. god knows we all hope we never have to draw our weapons, but as sad and terrible as the world ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing a human is not a game.

reply to youre tale

how true youre story is. god knows we all hope we never have
    to draw our weapons, but as sad and terrible as the world is
    today, if we are ever put in a worst case encounter, we hopefully
    have a better chance of making it home to our families at the end of
    the day.

Say it with me: "It's not my fault." The moron who attacked put himself in that position. Am I going to turn into a blubbering mass of flesh because I was forced to pop some tweaker as he was attacking my wife? Hell no. Some of my species live solely for the purpose of victimizing others. Wait...scratch that. He's not of my species. Those like me don't prey on the innocent and connive to steal
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    May none of us ever forget the sobering responsibility we bear....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Having been there...(as some of you who have also been there can attest to)...

After you've done all of your threat mitigation (don't walk in dark places at night, get into arguements with drunks or stupid people, etc), planning (if the other guy does "this", I'll do "that"), etc. you will discover Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) is a b@astard...In the end, it is either you or him/them (BGs)--you fight for survival, BGs are looking to survive/kill you and take what you have.

Whoever assumed killing a BG is a game already has something wrong with them. However, I do not empathize with a BG who is trying to do me or a loved one harm. The BG (to me) doesn't have brothers/sisters/mother/father/children/pets/house/job/drug addiction/alcohol addiction--he/she is not a a human--he/she is a threat. Quite frankly, at the moment he/she inserts himself into my world of tranquility within my home or while with my family, I DO NOT CARE.

I want to live. To see my kids grow up and my wife grow old. If the BG sees their activity as a "game"--I play for keeps. I will win. To think anything otherwise, I will lose.

I think a good point is brought up here. Just because you have a Castle Doctrine law or a No Duty to retreat law or a No liabilty clause in your law does not change a dam thing.

The use of self defense is still and always will be a very serious last resort choice. One you should hope and pray you never have to call upon.

I get the feeling from some that these laws somehow give some relief to that. They don't. That choice is still as grave and dangerous as it ever was.

Lead Moderator
    Very true. Having a weapon is a last resort, not to be used lightly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is an excellent thread, even as it goes counter to the overall gun culture as most often depicted in forums, at events, and amongst TV/movies/etc.

- Janq

P.S. - I guess I qualify as a 'metrosexual' because I do enjoy dressing nicely, keeping my hair trimmed in a style thats different than it was in HS, do wear cologne, and know how to tie a tie in more than one type of knot. Not that being such a person or having such interests and capabilities makes a person any lesser, or greater, than any other. We all can shoot and get shot regardless of what clothes we wear or the goop one puts in their hair.
    Last edited by Janq; February 15th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

We had a term for those type of folks that thought that shooting someone may be a game. We developed a few tests for applicants applying for a position with our Sheriffs Office. These tests were set up to help us to determine if we had a prospective Law Enforcement Officer or a "John Wayne". We had no place for the "John Waynes". The "John Waynes" have a mindset that they would work for our office without pay just to carry a gun and a badge, every Law Enforcement Division has one. There is a huge difference between an Officer that enjoys his job and a "John Wayne". The same is true for CCW Permit holders, we unfortunately have a few "John Waynes", it is unavoidable. Folks that think that they can brandish a gun to solve every problem, and are looking for an excuse to use it. We should all stop and think long and hard about possibly taking a life, it is a huge responsibility to be called upon to "play God". Do your thinking before the issue becomes a reality, it is too late to think then, it is time to react. But, before reacting, as stated here, avoid confrontation at ALL COSTS. As a last resort, do whatever it requires for you and yours survival. If that means that someone will die, it should be their fault they forced you into this, not your fault for not walking away. Not sure about other states, but, in Louisiana, you cannot claim self-defense in a confrontation that you initiated. This is a good law as it applies to civilians and CCW permit holders alike. It would encourage most of us to walk away from a confrontation. It is difficult to add to what you guys have already written, a very thoughtful group.
    Stay Safe
    PRAY
    Danny

This is the scary

Some times I wonder if some of the viedo games and movies the kids are seeing is haveing an effect on how the see life. The kids that have murdered some one don't seem to have any remorse. Another problem is kids don't seem to have any heros to look up to.

I don't make a big deal of it. It is just a way of life. I don't ponder about all the responsibility. I don't feel anything when I shoot at an IDPA target. Maybe recoil and the occasional brass hitting me in the face. I never actually thought about why I would like to carry a gun. It was something I wanted to do so I did it and continue to do it.

I don't understand how some people have to justify carrying a gun to themselves or talk themselves into it. That just makes no sense whatsoever. To each his own I guess.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

This thread should be mandatory reading for every licensed CCW, and anyone thinking of becoming one. Thanks to aznav for initiating it. I would like to believe that each of us has confronted this issue within ourselves, and continue to do so everyday.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Administrator
    case in point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tom,

Folks have been saying that eaxact same thing and making the exact same observation since the Wild West and likely even before that.
    Teens and young people have been going off the reservation losing it to do harm to people and even mass murder since long before videogames came to be.

For example if you're of a certain age one might recall the infamous mass murder news of Charlie Starkweather (17) and his girlfriend Caril (14)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starkweather
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...r/index_1.html
    http://www.allserialkillers.com/char...ril_fugate.htm

Young people acting and doing crazy things including multiple/mass murder has been going on for ages long before Atari.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    ...Another problem is kids don't seem to have any heros to look up to.
    Unfortunately they do, but these heroes are largely gang punk rappers and big time athletes that act little better than said rappers. As far as games go, I feel that while it may contribute to the overall problem, it is NOT a deciding factor. I've gamed most of my life and continue to do so with no sociopathic side effects whatsoever. Parents need to educate their kids and be involved in their lives first and foremost. Most well adjusted kids will not opt to become a psychotic maniac just because they played Half Life 2 or Doom 3.

I looked up to my dad. That is what they are there for. Everyone is running out of the burning building, but him and his buddies ran in. That takes balls.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links