Killing a human is not a game. - Page 4

Killing a human is not a game.

This is a discussion on Killing a human is not a game. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you have gotten the wrong idea from my post. I am not saying that everyone who plays these video games is tomorrows mass ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Some of you have gotten the wrong idea from my post. I am not saying that everyone who plays these video games is tomorrows mass murderer. Far from it, my son actually plays all the games y'all have mentioned and he is very well grounded. The kids I am reffering to are the ones not so grounded, these kids have comitted crimes in the same manor they played in the game, surely you have seen this on the news yourself. Did the game cause this kid to take this action? NO, did it contribute to give this kid the idea of killing people? In many cases yes, did the years of playing these types of video games de sensitize kids to killing? I think the answer is Yes. You may feel different, this is my opinion and one that is shared by many who have interviewed these kids afterwards. Again, I am not blaming the video games, and I am not saying that everyone who plays them is going to comit mass murder. The video games is just one part, a huge part is the break down of the family unit, both parents working to buy the bigger house and newer car, while the kids raise themselves at home. How many families eat supper together anymore? Not many, we text message, PM, IM each other instead of talking. If you don't think the youth of today is more violent than the youth of two and three generations ago you have your head in the sand. We use to settle things up at the flagpole after school, now it is done with drive by shootings. It is very sad to see the break down of society, just gives even that more reason why we all need to be able to protect ourselves and our loved ones. Let me say one more thing, I think the chances that each one of us may have to use our weapon to defend or protect ourselves or our loved ones in the next 20 years is far greater than our chances have been in the last twenty years. I too hope and pray that this never happens, nobody should look forward to ending the life of another person.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I as heard in a movie "With Great power comes Great responsibility"
    If anyone that has carried doesn't act more civil, more even tempered, more forgiving or more easy to back down and away Then maybe you shouldn't carry. As I studied different types of martial arts and I became more proficient (never a Bruce Lee or Steven Segal) I noticed it became harder to get me upset, and no road rage, cut me off? Go ahead you must be in a hurry you might have an emergency I don't know about. We Must stay Calm and even headed. And if we are forced And I mean forced to defend our lives, may we and our loved ones return home safe. As for the mind set, There were no other choices. Thats why I also carry pepper spray.

Personally, I am just baffled that this thread was started. Do any posters (other than trolls) suggest that killing people is a game or it would just be so COOL to blow someone's head off because he gets "dissed"? Anybody that hasn't gotten scolded for it?

Are such naive, childish attitudes prevalent here, and I just missed them?

I see frequent "wise" admonishments here and in other forums that an armed person must "walk away" from heated arguments.... and I wonder what kind of regular social interactions some folks have that heated, hostile, violent interaction is so common.

I really haven't needed to be lectured "don't start a fight", since before I started grade school. SHEESH!

I can't think of ANY altercation I have had in over 25 years which started with a "dispute" or "argument" which "escalated". Not a one. I have however been set upon, attacked, bushwacked, ambushed.... pretty much out of the blue a number of times for the purposes of robbery and/or the thrill of violence by my attackers. The smug philosophy of "just walk away and be the bigger man" is from a different planet when someone decides that killing you or your family will be an amusing way to pass the time and get a few dollars.

If i use the phrase "get your head in the game", concerning training, or mindset, does ANYBODY here seriously ascribe fun, recreation, or meaninglessness to the word game in this context?

I would hope that the overwhelming majority of readers here understand the gravity of killing another human, and by the time they begin to carry a pistol, they have a darn good idea of what is legally and morally justified, and what is NOT.

In fairness to the OP, the first time you commit to being armed, training, and adjust your mind to the possibility of killing someone IS a sobering event. And even if we don't babble about it constantly, Everyone here with a nickle's worth of brains has had that moment, IMO.

Most people I have met, who would NEVER think of carrying, or using, or owning a firearm, who typically float around in a fluffy cloud of condition white, are practically ALIEN to me now. I have a hard time relating to those kind of people. They are simply incapable of understanding that evil can come uninvited, anytime, anywhere... and that it will come FAST.

--Travis--

Video games contribute nothing toward how a person acts in life. It's a fragile and underdeveloped mind at fault.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Video games contribute nothing toward how a person acts in life. It's a fragile and underdeveloped mind at fault.
    A fragile mind is necessary, but have you noticed how much some of these people immerse themselves in the games? They "live" these things and start to lose sight of reality. It takes a long time, but they do willingly go there.

I've put a lot of time into thinking about carrying and what that means and what it may mean to and for my family. Without carrying, I/we could end up assaulted, robbed, or dead. With carrying I could end up alive, but at the wrong end of a life changing lawsuit; or mis-guided/malicious prosecution. Either way, no matter how "right you are" you can lose in a serious way. Everyone has to personally decide which chance they are more willing to take.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    Robere,

Don't place all the blame on the media/video games...blame the parents or lack there of. I am in my 30's and grew up during Rambo/mortal combat era. My parents (notice pleural) instilled in me right vs wrong, humility, morals, and respect for others that no movie, tv show, or video game could ever "corrupt".

Good thread.
    scmed, I agree with you on the parenting thing. It can make all the difference.. But the fact is when I was a kid there were parents that didnt give a damned too, but there werent kids killing people at random with guns ( like at my daughters school, Heath), mall shootings, gang violence, etc. When I was in school , a fight behind the grocery store was just that. No one ever so much as pulled a knife. Its the desensitizing of constant bombardment of violence. The worst I remember seeing as a kid was Beaver Clever getting in a scuffle with Whitey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post

Nate,
    I respect your opinion, but will say the people who have interviewed these people who have gone off the deep end will say the complete opposite. In the columbine shooting it was discovered that the kids sought out guns that resembled the ones used on their video game, they used entry tactics and said phrases that were directly from the games. I am not saying "The games made them do it", but you will never convince me that it didn't contribute to their actions. We can agree to disagree on this one.
    Have a good day.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Robere and Hornet

I agree with your posts. Video games certainly do not help the matter. However, I can't help but believe that if some of these mass shooters had parents like mine (or like several of the posters here)we would not have all these incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    Robere and Hornet

I agree with your posts. Video games certainly do not help the matter. However, I can't help but believe that if some of these mass shooters had parents like mine (or like several of the posters here)we would not have all these incidents.
    Hear Hear!!!

As long as the parent's are acting like parents, video games will not be a problem at all.

It's really no different from the mother of a scum bag who says, "he was a good boy, he just fell in with the wrong crowd".

I had plenty of opportunities to fall in with the wrong crowd but my parents instilled in me a very strong sense of right and wrong. But the most important thing they did is to let us kids know we were loved and that they would walk through fire for us if necessary.

Even the through discipline they inforced (yes. . . my Dad used a belt), they showed us that it was because they cared about us and wanted the best for us.

Now, when parents try to be buddies instead of parents or, even worse, ignore the kids, then the video games came have a huge negative affect.

Gee, instead of licensing people to carry guns, maybe we should require a license to be parents.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member
    Wow! Had no idea what a response this would get. Excellent threads and much to think about. Thanks to Sixto for the "attaboy". Some things I am taking away from this post.
    1. Though we can never be 100% sure we'll "do the deed" when it's time to defend ourselves, we better full well have that mind set if we have to.
    2. Somewhere here I got the idea that I need to hit the range weekly and practice, practice, practice both live and dry fires - until it is second nature.
    3. If you can, walk away, walk away, walk away!
    4. Pray like crazy that you never have to shoot someone but pray like crazy that you will if you have to.

Our CCW instructor told us that the average cost of defending yourself in court when the police have determined it was self defense is $15,000. That's the average cost. Personal injury lawyers troll the papers, contact the BG's relatives and settle out of court with your homeowner's insurance. Disgusting.
    Thanks again for all the threads. Aznav
    ps. my apologies to Jang on the metro sexual comment. I'm just jealous because my wardrobe is somewhere between early attic and Salvation Army.
    pps. "God is dead!" Nietzche
    "Nietzche is dead!" God
    Last edited by aznav; February 20th, 2007 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    But the fact is when I was a kid there were parents that didnt give a damned too, but there werent kids killing people at random with guns ( like at my daughters school, Heath), mall shootings, gang violence, etc. When I was in school , a fight behind the grocery store was just that. No one ever so much as pulled a knife. Its the desensitizing of constant bombardment of violence. The worst I remember seeing as a kid was Beaver Clever getting in a scuffle with Whitey.
    The fact is, violent crime in school is going down. People like to reminisce about the good old days, when things weren't going to hell in a handbasket, but that's not really the case. We view the past through rose colored glasses, and we view the present through the lens of an electronic media desperate to fill airtime and boost their ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    In the columbine shooting it was discovered that the kids sought out guns that resembled the ones used on their video game, they used entry tactics and said phrases that were directly from the games.
    I served in the military. I'm not going to grab my AR-15 (like the M16A2 I used) or use the entry tactics and such from my service to shoot up innocent people. Then again, I was raised right, and have common sense. On the flip side, I use those tactics and weapons in the video games I play, to great effect. Would I ever use them on another person? Not unless my life was at stake.

As mentioned previously, it's a underlying issue with society in general, and the unfortunate decline of proper child-rearing skills as a whole.

While I understand where you're coming from in saying that video games had an influence, however nominal, that influence should have been overridden and resolved by common sense or a moral compass which just wasn't properly administered by their parents.

Besides, there's more violence on the news and in movies than there are in video games. A lot of video games these days are based on movies and events in the news. I can see the whole "product of their environment" thing, but even then, at least one proper parent teaching the intangible skills necessary to get through life with discipline, intellect and honor would resolve most of those issues.

Basically, parents need to raise their kids.

THAT is the problem.

maybe 5, 6 7, & for sure # 8 to take away

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Some things I am taking away from this post.

2. Somewhere here I got the idea that I need to hit the range weekly and practise, practise, practise both live and dry fires - until it is second nature.
    2. REMEMBER U CAN DRY FIRE PRACTICE @ HOME (BE SAFE!!!)... PRACTICE IN YOUR USUAL DAILY CLOTHING & CARRY METHOD

5. be sure your Spouse/SO & any other adult responsible member of household knows atleast the basics of how to handle your FireArm

6. As mentioned in earlier post Get Massad Ayoob "In the Gravest Extreme"

7. Talk to a pro-gun Criminal Defense Att. now so u will know one in advance (in case u need one... prob. won't) and get real answers to questions u have now from a pro who does not have an Anti-Gun axe to grind

8. FIREARM SAFE YOUR KIDS & KID SAFE YOUR FIREARMS

As also mentioned & bears repeating... Prob. no one here (or any other responsible adult) WANTS TO KILL A "BG".... We are just aware of the reality of the REAL world and willing to make the choice to care.
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

I don't disagree with anything that has been said so far but is carrying a gun so much different than the responsibility that we all bear when we climb into our cars everyday? Our cars are potentially deadly weapons every second we are in them. Thousands of pounds of metal travelling at 65+ miles an hour in crowded highways and yet most people are very cavalier about driving. Judging from the way many, many people drive I'd say most gunowners are very much aware of the moral, ethical, legal and practical challenges of owning and carrying firearms.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Personally, I am just baffled that this thread was started. Do any posters (other than trolls) suggest that killing people is a game or it would just be so COOL to blow someone's head off because he gets "dissed"? Anybody that hasn't gotten scolded for it?
    I gotta agree...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links