Killing a human is not a game. - Page 7

Killing a human is not a game.

This is a discussion on Killing a human is not a game. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you mean all that stuff I learned from playing Socomm Navy Seals on my playstation is wrong?...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    So you mean all that stuff I learned from playing Socomm Navy Seals on my playstation is wrong?

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I have never though that the taking of a life is a game. Not even hunting.

But at the same time, the fact that it is a serious affair and may very well screw up my life financially and emotionally will not deter me from carrying and if need be to protect myself or my family, killing an attacker.

I am a Persian Gulf War (1991) veteran and was in combat. I took lives and even though it was war, it still bothered me. Still does. But it was either them or me. I believe the same would apply in a self defense situation.
    You are on target Sig P239...It's been 40 years, Vietnam War, since I pulled the trigger and saw a man fall and it doesn't go away. That's why we have metaphor's for the act of taking another human life. It's not killing a man, it's neutralizing the threat or the objective, in civilian lingo he's the BG or just a POS. Making another human being an "it", "target", or some other neutral word ease's the thought of taking that life. In the final analysis any CCW must face the fact that they are taking a human life, the reason may be for self preservation, protection of another, or some noble cause, but a human dies and you are never the same, how you deal with it is up to you.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    I don't make a big deal of it. It is just a way of life. I don't ponder about all the responsibility. I don't feel anything when I shoot at an IDPA target. Maybe recoil and the occasional brass hitting me in the face. I never actually thought about why I would like to carry a gun. It was something I wanted to do so I did it and continue to do it.

I don't understand how some people have to justify carrying a gun to themselves or talk themselves into it. That just makes no sense whatsoever. To each his own I guess.
    I consider myself to be a reasonable, level headed law abiding citizen with most things in my life. That being said, I have to agree with freakshow on his general attitude about this subject. I have a beautiful wife and 2 lovely children and I personally need to look no farther than that simple fact to justify carrying a weapon. If I needed anymore assurance I simply need to tune the nightly news here in Central Florida to know we live in a not so pleasant society. I have to assume it is that way in most of the city's you live in.
    In your darkest hour, always remember someone is coming for you and that you are never truly alone.......

NRA member
    NRA Business Alliance member

Distinguished Member

One more time

It's been more than interesting to walk through all these posts.
    There are many insightful well thought out comments. It seems like(IMHO) there are three classes of folks in these threads:
    1. Those that have killed and those that were almost killed.
    2. Those who have not killed and would have no problem in doing it.
    3. Those who have not killed, believe that they could kill, but wrestle with the consequences.

My job covers a lot of emotional and spiritual ground. Sometimes I deal with PTSD victims. After reading some of the the posts from the second class, I would describe these as somewhat naive. All the bravado from boot camp of "Kill Charlie!" that I heard during Vietnam went south real quick when live ammo or real bad guys are ten yards in front of you or when the BG you just shot has the back of his head missing. We adjust, swallow our fear, and move on. But, as some posts have indicated, it pops up (sometimes years later) at the most inopportune times.
    I think I would rather wrestle with this stuff on the front end rather than when my weapon is drawn and pointed at a guy who intends to do me or my family harm. I literally pray I would not hesitate to pull the trigger. But if you've never shot someone or shot at someone, save the machismo for the bartender.

Sponsor
    If I ever have to pull the trigger anywhere other than the range , you can be sure that it is the only option left to me other than dieing or watching one of my family die. I can't even say for sure that I would be willing to kill to protect a stranger. (child?) I don't know as I have never been put in that position.
    I have been robbed at gunpoint 3 times as a night clerk at a convenient store (7-11) in El Paso TX, and once as an individual. One of the BGs from the 7-11 went on (weeks later) to kill a motorist in a carjacking.
    Obviously, I was lucky.
    These are the main reasons why I now have a CCW and carry every day.
    My point is, I am done being a "sheeple" but I am not an idiot.
    If it ever becomes neccessary, I will deal with the civil liability problems with a clear conscience and a happy heart knowing that I and my family is alive and safe.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Killing a human being is not a game?

Tell that to Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    But, man, what a serious responsibility we have in carrying a weapon. It's really not a game and the BG doesn't get up after we run out of ammo.
    Ok, sermon's over. Any comments?
    What kind of comment are you looking for? Do you honestly think someone is going to disagree with the obvious statement that "killing a human is not a game"? Every time I log on to this board I see this thread since it's marked as a "sticky" and have to roll my eyes each time. Are you expecting a pat on the back because you're stating the obvious?

Maybe I should start a thread that says "Stealing is bad."

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    What kind of comment are you looking for? Do you honestly think someone is going to disagree with the obvious statement that "killing a human is not a game"? Every time I log on to this board I see this thread since it's marked as a "sticky" and have to roll my eyes each time. Are you expecting a pat on the back because you're stating the obvious?

Maybe I should start a thread that says "Stealing is bad."
    Thank you.

I'm new here so I wasn't going to step in it my first few days here. But you're words were exactly my sentiment. I ain't crying for some guy who just tore a girl apart and then threw her in a dumpster.

As far as I'm concerned the sentiments in this thread are totally phony.

Assistant Administrator
    Know what? As this thread approaches 100 posts I cannot help but feel that about all that can be said - has been said.

Opinion is in one sense unified but in another almost diverse.!

To help avoid deterioration I am going to close it. Any attempt to start a new thread on this will be referred back to this one - I do not think we need another!

Thanks to all contributors.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links