Where, oh where is my CCDW (KY)...

This is a discussion on Where, oh where is my CCDW (KY)... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sent the application and everything off through the local sheriff's department the second week of January. Although the official time limit for the "flash pak" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where, oh where is my CCDW (KY)...

Where, oh where is my CCDW (KY)...

Sent the application and everything off through the local sheriff's department the second week of January. Although the official time limit for the "flash pak" to come in is 90 days, everyone says 3-6 weeks.

So, I'm on week 5. Been patiently watching the mailbox. No stress. Then yesterday, looking at my bank statement, I noticed that although the check from the local SD was cleared within days of writing it, the check that was mailed to the state police with the application package hasn't shown up yet.

Now I'm thinking, "Oh great, somebody lost the whole thing. The state police don't even have it and I'll have to wait 90 days before I can even ask someone to look into it."

I know I'm probably wrong and just worrying needlessly.

Hopefully.

Sheesh. Thanks for "listening".

2. Remove Ads

It might have taken a bit at your Sheriff's department. Really isn't anything you can do besides wait though. Here in Lexington, turnaround is about 4 weeks. Take that with a grain of salt though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I am happy to see that permits are done quickly in Ky. I will be moving there this summer and I have not been looking forward to being disarmed. I am glad they don't follow Oklahoma's typical policy of waiting the full 90 days to issue a permit.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Got mine in three weeks.

I did have an issue with a check though. I think I forgot to sign it. I got a call and took care of the problem.

You may want to call and just check to make sure that everything went through ok (checks sent etc.). I don't think they will get bent out of shape for checking up. Mine went throught a smaller town not a big city. Sometimes they can take a little longer. Give them a call and hold your breath some more.

Good luck and welcome to the group. There a lot of fine people here.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I am happy to see that permits are done quickly in Ky. I will be moving there this summer and I have not been looking forward to being disarmed. I am glad they don't follow Oklahoma's typical policy of waiting the full 90 days to issue a permit.

Glad to hear that we are importing the right kind of people. We have enough .

Let us know when you arrive. I could use another shooting buddy.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    hate to say this my friend but your going to be disarmed for atleast 6 months

Be a resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to filing the application or a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in Kentucky for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application; and

VIP Member
    I missed that when I looked through the laws. I'll close enough to other states that I may have to look into living in one of them if their laws are more favorable. Maybe one will recognize a non-res permit.

edit* Upon further review, it appears that I could get the Florida or Utah non-resident permit and be covered. If it comes down to it, I suppose I could always revert to open carry.
    Last edited by Echo_Four; February 15th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

well i can tell you KY is probably the most relaxed around here i know one thing is you dont wanna live in OH their laws just suck...

At least you can have a firearm in plain sight or in your glove compartment without a permit in Kentucky. I particularly like the last part of the section.

(8) A firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a glove compartment of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

I missed that when I looked through the laws. I'll close enough to other states that I may have to look into living in one of them if their laws are more favorable. Maybe one will recognize a non-res permit.

edit* Upon further review, it appears that I could get the Florida or Utah non-resident permit and be covered. If it comes down to it, I suppose I could always revert to open carry.
    The only border state to KY that comes close with favorable gun laws is Indiana (imho). You could probably get a Florida non-resident permit and fit into a loophole that way. I'm not sure on that though, so definitely research it before you try it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    The state says they recognize non-resident permits from Florida and Utah (as well as others). It never mentions that a KY resident is prevented from using these permits, so it is legal. It would just be for the six months I have to wait I suppose. It is much better than going open carry, but I would if I had to.

For what it is worth, I'll be in extreme eastern Kentucky.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The state says they recognize non-resident permits from Florida and Utah (as well as others). It never mentions that a KY resident is prevented from using these permits, so it is legal. It would just be for the six months I have to wait I suppose. It is much better than going open carry, but I would if I had to.

For what it is worth, I'll be in extreme eastern Kentucky.
    Well, that's one part of the state that you'd probably never have to worry about being harassed while open carrying. I agree it's the last resort, but for what it's worth, that's how the mountains are.

like harlan extreme east or where at... ya the mountains are a totally different thing than the city so open probably isnt a bad thing but i would rather still have it hidden and tucked away...

It took me 4 weeks from class time to the Dept of Justice to send it back. I went down to the Sherrif office about 7 days ago, they have cashed their $20, and I'm waiting to see the state police one come through for the flash pac. Will post when I do. This is Eastern KY area.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My wife and I filed ours at the same time, mine came in 4 weeks, hers in a little over 6. Go figure.

You can always OC without a permit, however.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links