CCW Badges???

This is a discussion on CCW Badges??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Years ago, before NC (or SC) had shall-issue CWPs, I was licensed as a private investigator in both states (and GA), and lived in SC. ...

View Poll Results: So use a "Concealed Carry Badge"?

Voters
530. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Keeps people from freaking out if my gun is exposed. I know I'm not a cop.

14 2.64%
  • Maybe. I'll have to think about it some.

25 4.72%
  • Not for me. I won't harrass you for having one though.

70 13.21%
  • Uh no.

205 38.68%
  • No. People who carry these are wanna be cops.

75 14.15%
  • No. People who carry these are such posers and I regard them with contempt.

133 25.09%
  • It's illegal in my state.

8 1.51%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Badges???

Talking

Years ago, before NC (or SC) had shall-issue CWPs, I was licensed as a private investigator in both states (and GA), and lived in SC. When I applied for my NC license, I was actually questioned as to whether I had "any badges." I was told it was a violation of NC law for a non-comissioned LEO to carry a badge, and, if I were found in possession of a badge in NC, I would face revocation of my license and possible criminal charges. I never looked the statute up, as I didn't care; had no plans to tote a badge, anyway!

I had to chuckle at eht "American Bureau of Investigation." I once worked for a company that conducted investigations solely for the insurance industry. It sought to become incorporated as "Insurance Investigations Bureau" However, at least one state prohibited any inclusion of the word "insurance" in a corporate name unless the corporation actually sold & serviced insurance products. We did not; we merely investigated suspect claims on behalf of insurance companies.

Our legal staff determined that the restriction applied only to the actual word "insurance." An abbreviation would be permitted. Yep, you got it. We became "INS Investigations Bureau." No lie, one of our staffers introduced himself at a restaurant, looking into a workers compensation case. As soon as he said, "INS . . ." half of the restaurant crew (illegal aliens, it must be presumed) hit the back door, running!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

scbair

scbair ~ That was great! Good post.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by scbair
    As soon as he said, "INS . . ." half of the restaurant crew (illegal aliens, it must be presumed) hit the back door, running!
    In Arizona, THAT might be worth it.... :wink1:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I want a pony, too.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I think we've missed something here guys. I don't think it would be a good idea to carry it visibly, but if you are holding a gun in your hand when the police arrive, it might help to identify you as the good guy.

I just read an article about how undercover police need to show ID when back-up arrives; their colleagues have no way to know if they are a good guy or bad guy. It just made me think, it might relieve the tension a bit, if you have a "badge" visible for the police.

Having said that, I still don't plan to get a badge; but some kind of ID might be a good thing.
    I don't carry a badge either but, I think you are right many have missed the point. They are not intended to be worn openly. the intent is to hide it next to your gun and if by accident your gun is exposed then the badge may imply you have some "official" purpose for it so as not to spook the sheeple. I am not saying it is a good idea, but let's at least understand the intent. The rant has been almost as uniformed as the badge boys. There are many good reasons NOT to use a badge, but I have never heard anyone say they were going to pin it on their vest and stroll into town like Matt Dillion.

Administrator

Lucky ~

I get your point but I honestly think that the wannabe badges are an answer to a problem that should not ever exist.
    Why would anyone lug a badge around every day on the highly remote chance that they might accidentally flash their weapon once in ten years?
    The proper, high quality holster & the correct weapon carried properly covered up in a good body location & you should be absolutely OK at all times.
    And certainly in no situation that couldn't be handled equally as well by simply saying: "I have a license to legally carry a firearm." & then showing your L.T.C.

Been licensed as a PI too--but never saw the need for a badge. Had permit and ID, if needed, never was.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

DC Founder
    Like I said earlier. If you display a CCW badge (on your person, your office wall is okay) you get your permit revoked and a trip to jail.

PI badges are a completely different thing. They are widely accepted as long as you do NOT represent yourself as a police officer and have absolutely nothing to do with being a wannabee. Normally you don't need one in PI work, but they will open doors in certain situations....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

"We don't need no steenkin' Badges."
    I knew it was coming...I just knew it!

NO NO NO IT's BODGES BODGES NOT BAA-DGES

BODGES??? WE DON'T NEED NO STEEEEKIN' BODGES! DON'T GOT NO STEEENKIN' BODGES!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I worked as a security guard in college for a few weeks.

I was out one night after a shift with another guy who worked it with me and it was kept in my wallet along with work IDs etc. The bar I was at was reknown for having some bad folks there, and that security guard badge nearly got me killed.

Why the hell I'd want to carry one when I wasn't required to is beyond me - it only exposes me to more problems in the world.

That said, I have the concealed weapons permit the first in line of my stack of IDs and can flash it if necessary to the powers that be. That will be far more useful than any tin star I can think of buying from Ebay. :)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I get your point but I honestly think that the wannabe badges are an answer to a problem that should not ever exist.
    Why would anyone lug a badge around every day on the highly remote chance that they might accidentally flash their weapon once in ten years?
    The proper, high quality holster & the correct weapon carried properly covered up in a good body location & you should be absolutely OK at all times.
    And certainly in no situation that couldn't be handled equally as well by simply saying: "I have a license to legally carry a firearm." & then showing your L.T.C.
    I agree. I justed wanted to facts to be straight. I have heard this discussion before and the facts on both sides are often mixed up.

Administrator

Lucky

You are 100% correct in wanting to get all of the facts straight for the forum record.
    The badge issue is always a HOT topic on nearly every forum.

Most other forums...the official opinion is "Oh No! ~ Not CCW Badges Again!?!" & they just lock the thread. And locking a badge thread right away does not help new CCW holders in reaching their own common sense conclusion at all.
    Since there are so many new CCW holders here ~ I'm glad it's being talked about....yet again.

My only real advice for people would be to ABSOLUTELY FIRST HAND check their respective State & Local Laws & then just to keep in mind the fact that carrying a badge when you are NOT LEO could get some honest, decent, permit holder into a whole heap of "stinky" doo~doo.
    ~ Especially if it is perceived that you (in any way) acted as a Police Officer or performed ANY police type action that caused anybody to incorrectly believe or assume that you were a Law Enforcement Officer.

Around here in Pennsylvania a firearm & a phony badge subliminally puts you into the category of the suspicious type of sicko person that would try to impersonate a LEO & grab/abduct a female off the highway.
    I don't know why anybody would want to chance a possible label like that.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You are 100% correct in wanting to get all of the facts straight for the forum record.
    The badge issue is always a HOT topic on nearly every forum.

Most other forums...the official opinion is "Oh No! ~ Not CCW Badges Again!?!" & they just lock the thread. And locking a badge thread right away does not help new CCW holders in reaching their own common sense conclusion at all.
    Since there are so many new CCW holders here ~ I'm glad it's being talked about....yet again.
    And this is why I am in this forum and not some others. Maturity seems more common here than other internet forums. Have you noticed how many forums have the lemming sydrome. One character says "I hate Glocks" and then twenty others chime in and say they hate Glocks too, then another character says "no Glocks are great" and then the same twenty people say "yeah we think their great too." I just didn't want that to happen here with this topic.
    CCW badges have a good premise but, have some serious side effects that out weigh the premise. Some carry them for the "logical" premise, others carry them because of some problematic personality issues. The people who carry them because of low self esteem are going to carry them anyway and probably will not try to defend the practice on this venue. A shotgun approach does not answer everyone's questions. Thank you for allowing this to be addressed properly. By the way this is a great forum.

Administrator

Lucky...Another Forum ~ One Story

Well, we are lucky to have you...and this great forum.
    I "dropped off" a couple of other forums for just about those exact reasons.
    Notice I said: "I dropped off" & not that I was booted off.
    My reasons were ~
    CONSTANT rehash of mundane topics & "same old same old." Every day!
    Heavy handed moderators that loved to lock threads.
    Abrupt & Rude comments by the moderators toward brand new members & first time posters ~
    Like: "Use The Search Feature!!!" ~ "OFF TOPIC ~ CLOSED!" ~
    Some of my posted threads would get like 1,500 hits & 200 replies...then a mod would jump in & say "OK, this has gone far enough." CLOSED!
    And then in my one case...I posted a damn interesting Colt .45 related thread ~ It was HOT! ~ Folks were responding like crazy ~ It was actually GOING SOMEWHERE ~ then one moderator made a smart ass remark about me not listening to the "Experts" (I've ONLY been shooting the Colt .45 for about 25 years) meanwhile I got my thread information directly from somebody that I know personally AT Colt Firearms Via an hour long phone call ~ the "jerk mod" Closed my thread & EVEN THAT was perfectly fine with me ~ BUT THEN....he opened it BACK UP AGAIN ~ then he Added/posted a Private Mail that he received from another forum member...to my CLOSED thread ~ And then right away locked it right back up again so that nobody else could respond!
    Well, that was it for me & almost the END on my "on Line" forum memberships...until I found this place.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 28th, 2005 at 11:07 PM.

I think it's called "little key" syndrome

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links