CCW Badges???

This is a discussion on CCW Badges??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I did a few weeks ago lock some of the older threads that moved towards the bottom of the pile, NOT because they were ...

View Poll Results: So use a "Concealed Carry Badge"?

Voters
531. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Keeps people from freaking out if my gun is exposed. I know I'm not a cop.

14 2.64%
  • Maybe. I'll have to think about it some.

25 4.71%
  • Not for me. I won't harrass you for having one though.

70 13.18%
  • Uh no.

205 38.61%
  • No. People who carry these are wanna be cops.

76 14.31%
  • No. People who carry these are such posers and I regard them with contempt.

133 25.05%
  • It's illegal in my state.

8 1.51%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Badges???

DC Founder
    Well, I did a few weeks ago lock some of the older threads that moved towards the bottom of the pile, NOT because they were bad or anything just because they sorta played out. If anyone wants them unlocked I can do that easily but I won't play games with the locks. I too think that there is value in discussing this so hopefully some new permit holder doesn't jump on the idea and get in trouble or at the least razzed by the guys at the range. :sport21:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I've seen this on other forums. One was started by a LEO, from Oklahoma I think. He said he was getting one for his father. The idea is you keep it hidden UNTIL you need it. If the ca-ca hits the fan, and assuming you survive a violent encounter with bad guys, then you have it available when police are approaching so that they hopefully won't blow you away until the find out just WHO you are.

I also know that MOST states impersonation laws will get you if the badge says "Police" on it, and you're not, or if you identify yourself as a LEO when you're not.

A lot is going to depend on the officers, the situation and how you handle yourself.

I'm still sort of on the fence on this. I think it might be a good idea on one hand, but I'm still fearful of LEOs seeing it as a "wannabe" thing.

Thing you have to remember is LEOs are not the only ones who carry badges. In many locations, Prosecutors have badges, judges have badges, mayors, city alderman and so on.

IF you have one, the key thing is make sure it's not illegal in your state. Also make sure you check the laws of any state you might visit.

Personally, I'm more inclined to get a big red t-shirt with the inscription "CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE HOLDER" emblazoned across it, and if the ca-ca does hit the oscillating wind machine, I'll just rip off my outer shirt like Clark Kent.
    Last edited by Al Lowe; March 31st, 2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: fixed emoticon

One more time........do not care about who suggests the use of non authorized police look alike tin, I would not use if if paid to do so.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    One more time........do not care about who suggests the use of non authorized police look alike tin, I would not use if if paid to do so.
    I think I saw that the first time I read this thread. ;)

I don't know how I missed this topic for so long, but I'll go ahead and put in my 2cents.

First off, I don't think half the people who have badges in this world need them. The badge is a symbol of authority and responsibility, not intend to be a get-out-of-jail-free card, or a fashion statement. So if you do not have the responsibility and authority that comes with carrying a badge, then don't carry one. Before I was a law enforcement officer, I was a corrections officer at a prison, and a security guard. At NO POINT did I ever carry a badge out of uniform. I did not have any authority or responsibility outside of my employment, and did not try to make people think that I did.

I have arrested a private investigator for impersonating a public servant before. She was hauling a**, and I stopped her for speeding. As I approached the car, she pulled out a badge and said "Hey, I'm an officer and I'm on the job. I gotta catch that car." Luckily I looked closely at the badge and ID card rather than just cutting her lose, and realized it said "P.I." and asked her what she thought she was doing. She said she was following a "suspect" that her client hired her to spy on. I arrested her for dispalying a badge with the intent of making me think she was a law enforcement officer and attempting to use her "authority" to get out of a speeding ticket.

And I would do the same thing to a CHL holder who pulled out a badge after accidently exposing his/her firearm. If you accidently expose your weapon in Texas, you have nothing to worry about. An unintentional display is not a crime and all you have to do is explain that the weapon is legally owned and carried, and you had no intention of anyone ever knowing that you had it. Problem solved. But if you expose your weapon and then try to fix the problem by displaying a badge that is obviously intended to make people think you have the authority to go with that badge, then you will get arrested.

Texas Penal Code 37.12. FALSE IDENTIFICATION AS PEACE OFFICER;
    MISREPRESENTATION OF PROPERTY.

(d) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally
    or knowingly misrepresents an object as property belonging to a law
    enforcement agency.

People can argue all they want that the CHL badge doesn't misrepresent a LEOs badge, but in Texas, if a "reasonably intelligent person" would believe that the badge IDed you as an officer, then you are IDing yourself as an officer.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

SO, I'd quote your last but it's so perfect and SO (LOL) long, no point. The real point is that I agree 100%. Having said all that I have to confess that when I was a State Probation & Parole Officer, I used to carry my drivers license and insurance info in my badge case. It did get me out of several tickets, not because I waved it because I was always fully ready to sign the ticket and pay the fine, but everytime I flipped open the case to retrieve my driver's license, there was the badge and the cop/trooper/etc would exclaim: Probation Officer! Put anybody away recently? And I'd haul out the latest goodie like the grandmother on probation for selling crack to elementary school kids who I'd just "violated" and sent away or whatever....and they'd just hand the license back and say something like "Hey just keep 'er under 100....or watch out for the trap down the road....."

That was the one thing I really missed about leaving that job to become a high school teacher.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

In FL ,shield ok.
    But a 5 point star is for S.O. only................

Don't know if I will explain this right, but here goes anyway:

When I first started out in law enforcement many, many years ago, the badge and the uniform identified who and what I was, and by God, I wanted everyone to know it, LOL !!

Now that I am a LOT older and much wiser, I do not, under any cursumstances, want people to know that I am carrying a weapon.

That knowledge, plus my training and experience that go along with the responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon, gives me advantage in just about any situation. It allows me time to survey and figure out a situation without drawing undue attention to myself..... and not drawing attention to myself before I act could be a lifesaver for myself as well as others.

Imagine the sceneario that was offered earlier: a teller in a bank sees your gun, or a badge on your belt while she is waiting on you. She would automatically assume you were LEO of some sort. Before you can leave the bank, a robbery goes down. If the clerk who earlier saw you with a gun and thinks you are LEO, glances in your direction because she expects you to help, one of the BG's could easily see that look from the clerk to you and you might be history before you could do anything.

No on any sort of badge. As pointed out earlier, here in Texas the law demands that we keep our weapon concealed and provides very strict instructions for identifying ourselves to law enforcement officers. If one follows the requirements that come with being issued a concealed carry license, there should not be any problems.

Bad Idea.........could make for a lot of leagal issues... as in LEO imposters.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I received a solicitation to purchase one a while back. It looked like a "make money" scheme to me. I don't like the idea, the badge has no status, could be construed as "bogus", and I threw the form away.

Bad idea. If you want a badge and the liability of showing it go join a police department!

I also don't think the CCW badge is a smart idea for many reasons , but I would like to tell on myself about a little bit of a similar cause and effect -un-intended to the 'wanna-be' thing. I personally decorated a holster I had for my Beretta 92FS with a completely 'plain' , (no inscriptions) with a circle enclosed brushed stainless star. Really looks nice and since it is normally not shown to anyone, as it is carried CCW, except on my own property back in my woods, I thought it really looked 'sharp' even if I was the only one to see it. I know that in Texas , you cannot have any decoration that shows a star within a circle as this has been ruled to possibly impersonate a Texas Ranger badge, and a few other states as well.
    Well to get on with this, one day I was back on my property on my 4x4 when I saw a couple guys coming by and crossing my path . They were trespassing so I stepped off my 4x4 and called to them that they were trespassing and to leave. (I don't allow trespassers as I've had parties, poaching, etc. going on on several occasions many times in the past.) The guy on the 4x4 stopped, got off, and we engaged in a serious but frank conversation, etc. For a perfect BG description, he fit the bill . He had a large swollen red 'pump knot' on his forehead, a ripped and bloodied shirt on , scratches on his face and neck apparently from a recent hard fight with someone, etc. etc. along with a .44 mounted on his 4x4 which he made sure to comment on. About that time, he looked at my holstered 92FS , saw the star on the holster and said , ' you know,... I don't want any trouble, I see you must be in law enforcement from the star there on your holster, etc, etc, .... I promise I won't ever come back on your property again' !
    I never once pulled the gun or made a comment as to professing to be a LEO, etc. I just let him 'assume' completely on his own .
    I truly believe that if he hadn't seen my holster and Beretta that he would have ....no.... definitely would have pulled his .44 .
    This wouldn't have happened out in public as I always stay CCW and anti-wanna-be.
    Below is a pic of my rig.
    Attached Images
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

One word for ya.. Barney Fife...would not have one, I am not a cop. CCW should be low key and this is in our best interest.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I don't think you did anything wrong. Let the jerk jump to any false conclusion if it helps your situation. Probably when the guy saw your pistol and realized that he didn't enjoy the advantage of being the only armed person present, he seized on the star design as a face-saving way out.

That being said, even though open carry is legal here in CO and no permit required on one's own property, I only carry concealed. There's all kinds of ways here to get in trouble; we have a law here that states if you inform someone that you are armed, verbally or even by a gesture of pointing toward a holstered weapon, in the worst-case it could be "felony menacing". There's a big grey area between that law and an openly carried pistol; I don't want to be the test case.
    Last edited by Anubis; December 3rd, 2005 at 10:43 AM.

I'll admit that I considered getting a CCW badge, but not to show around. My thought was the same as some others here. It would stay as concealed as my weapon, until needed. The idea being that IF I did have to shoot someone, it would be a way of proving that I was the good guy when the cops showed up.

That thought lasted about 30 seconds, while I pondered the possibilities.

It then went away.

I have thought about getting one as a conversation piece, but it would HAVE to be encased in a block of glass. That would insure that it would never be misused.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links