Home video taken during Mall shooting

This is a discussion on Home video taken during Mall shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a link that shows a video taken during the last minutes of the Salt Lake mall shooting. More or less as the police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home video taken during Mall shooting

Home video taken during Mall shooting

I found a link that shows a video taken during the last minutes of the Salt Lake mall shooting. More or less as the police arrive and shoot it out with the gunman.

If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://kutv.com/video/?id=23467@kutv.dayport.com
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'll reiterate what I posted in the Scenarios thread....

Scariest thing I can imagine.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

putting two and two together, from the statement I heard the off duty officer give, and from the sounds you hear on the tape I think it's safe to say you can tell when they finally killed that SOB. too bad it had to happen 5 lives too late.

Boy that video puts a different twist to the story I heard. Now I admit I haven't read to much on this but the info I got from the Off duty cop, was that he heard gun fire, locked down the restaraunt with his wife and kid inside, ecountered suspect, iliminated the threat before the PD got there. This made it sound like the guy had already killed folks before the Off Duty cop arrived, but by the video there were several shots fired once the PD arrived before the heavy grouping of fire which we assume is when the suspect was killed. I am glad I don't have to sort it out. Bottom line everyone envolved deserves a metal and a Carribean cruise to destress.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Gives a little insight of what took place

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I wonder why the LEOs didn't have carbines.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

If the person making the video was carrying a firearm instead of trying to make himself famous ,would have been more of a help and saftey for others than the video IMHO. Steve48

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    man that is wild, def makes you think about what can happen in the world now adays.. makes you really wanna stay armed at every waking hour

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    a lot of us can not carry carbines on duty.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

This thread should be appended to the Mall Shooting thread as the video links were posted there yesterday.

NOT a good time to be holding anything that maybe mistaken for a weapon, like a video camera. High stress situation, mistakes can happen! Being a permit holder at that time would be a very scarey time also, if you had your piece out. All you'd need is for someone to see you, panic, and start screaming HE's OVER HERE meaning YOU!
    All said and done though I'd rather be armed..
    Be safe.

Maybe holding up your wallet (unfolded) in your weak hand, giving LEO pause before possibly firing an another "LEO" holding up their "ID". Not a good situation to be in, regardless.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    A .223 that could punch though those light shop walls like butter and would probably end up on the other end of the mall might not be the best choice. Especially with an unknown number of innocents hiding behind said walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    If the person making the video was carrying a firearm instead of trying to make himself famous ,would have been more of a help and saftey for others than the video IMHO. Steve48
    The camera-man was close to the shooter, yes, but never saw him, much less had anything close to a clean shot. By that point, LEO's were on-scene and the last thing you'd want to do would be pull out a pistol unless you had no other choice (shooter close to you and focused on shooting you).

If I were in his shoes (which I hope I never am), that probably would've been me hiding in the storefront, albeit without the camera, and continuously making my way towards an exit.

Gun drawn? Negative, not unless I can see the shooter with a clear backstop and he's chasing me or in the act of shooting someone.

Hand on gun? Darn straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    A .223 that could punch though those light shop walls like butter and would probably end up on the other end of the mall might not be the best choice. Especially with an unknown number of innocents hiding behind said walls.
    Handgun bullets and buckshot are going to go through light walls like butter too. With any cartridge that has enough penetration to stop a BG, the issue isn't going to be whether it'll go through an interior wall, but how many. .223 rifles actually aren't great penetrators, and a lot of police departments have decided they're better choices for interior work than handguns or shotguns.

Yeah ... I'd be hard pressed to run TOWARD a gun fight, unless I had reason to believe my family was involved. Too many things you don't know, and the learning curve would be very steep and compressed. I agree with BTG .. get my family to safety, period.
    If it went down in front of me, and I knew the circumstances, the situation may be different .. but, only if my people were safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links