What do you say when the police pull you over?

This is a discussion on What do you say when the police pull you over? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming your state has a 'must inform' law. How do you tell the cop that you are legally armed? Ive heard the worst thing you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say when the police pull you over?

What do you say when the police pull you over?

Assuming your state has a 'must inform' law. How do you tell the cop that you are legally armed?

Ive heard the worst thing you could say is 'I have a gun'

Maybe this is basic for most of you, but I want to get a sentance in my head that will come out naturally if I need to say it.

2. Remove Ads

"Sir (or Ma'am), I must inform you that I have a Concealed Handgun Liscense (Say the words, not the abbreviation just to be clear), and my sidearm is at my 3:00 (or wherever) on my right hip. How would you like me to proceed?"

In Ohio the CHL is tied to DL, so they know when they run the plates on my truck, but you still must inform. Just speak clearly and slowly, with your hands somewhere like the steering wheel, and don't reach for anything, even the registration in the golve box, until you inform they officer and they tell you what they want you to do.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    When in doubt or if you are nervous and dont know what to say, just hand them your drivers liscence and your permit.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes make sure you tell them no matter what the situation is. My car was broken down on the freeway and a LEO was so kind to stop and see if I was ok. As he was walking to make sure everything was cool he called my plates in and then came to my car. I wasn't pulled over and he didnt ask me for my DL so I said I was fine and my wife was on her way. he asked if i was ok and i said yes and as he was walking back to his car he turned fast and darted to my car. asked if i had my ccw permit and i said yes sir but i am not armed. he said ok jst for the future no matter what situation ur in whn there is a LEO involved he need to knw.
    so make sure that is the first think out of ur mouth.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I don't have to inform but intend to, to prevent any surprises for the LEO.
    "I have a handgun permit and I am carrying. What do you want me to do?"
    Unless I was driving dangerously I expect the response will be to stay seated and leave the gun be.

In GA, one is not required to inform and such data is not available to officers through driver records or whatever.

I WILL NOT volunteer such information unless directly asked. Even then I'll probably not answer. I'll just reply with something along the lines of "Am I free to go?"

In GA (due a recent court ruling) once an officer is made aware of the presence of a weapon, regardless of whether or not he feels threatened, he then has the right to retrieve and "secure" the weapon. If that means he has to get in your car and go through your glove box without your permission to get it, then so be it.

I will not volunteer that I am armed as it could very well lead to a search of my vehicle and I will not consent to any searches.

It's my personal policy to keep my mouth shut during official police encounters.

Here's more info on the situation in GA: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541

We, here in South Carolaina, are required to identify if the officer is making an official stop. Includes anytime an officer approaches you in his official capacity, not just traffic stop.

If the situation presents itself for me to get my DL and CWP out safely I will simply hand them to him. CWP on top. If not then I will simply say "Officer I am a Concealed Weapons Permit holder"... and await further instructions. Then do whatever he/she wants me to do. Slowly and carefully if the situation seems to call for it. No need to panic. And yes... if he/she wishes to take control of the weapon then thats perfectly fine with me. I understand. No big deal.

I hand the officer my DL and my CHL as soon as possible and keep my hands in sight. These people have a tough job and I do not intend to make it any harder and I do not intend to get hurt because of lack of communication. At the point of contact, they do not know and I intend to inform them. I have been stopped twice and approached twice as I talked on the good ol' cell phone while parked along side the highway. In three of the four times the officer looked at both, smiled and said " thank you ". In the other instance the officer did not respond either way. In all four situations there were no problems of any kind. All four in Texas.

thanks, George

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    There was a post about this not too long ago.... OK it was mine, but there were a lot of great replies.

You may want to check it out.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19247

The topic sways around a bit, but it is a good read.

According to Sixto, dome light on, flashers on, window down and hands on the steering wheel. Do not reach for your wallet. Inform the LEO that you have CHL and that you are armed. He - she will let you know how to procede from there.

Basically use common sense.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Usually I keep my hands in plain sight. And while handing the officer my DL and CCW, I inform him I have a loaded weapon in the vehicle.
    (even though in Fla. you don't have to notify).
    I have never had an officer offer any question about my weapon after that.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I'm not required to notify, but the one time I was pulled over while packing (LEO was fishing for DUI's), I handed the officer my CCW right along with my DL.

I sure wouldn't want to the officer to notice my sidearm without my having already mentioned it!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    In the past eight years that I have had my CHL I have been pulled over three or so times. In those instances I have just handed the officer my CHL and my driver's license. I don't offer up any information unless asked. In each of those instances the officer asked if I was armed and that was it. As an aside-in each of those instances the officer only issued a warning. Seems that most LEO's in Texas like the idea of the CHL.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

In Texas you are required to give the Peace Officer your drivers license and your CHL permit. That is what I do, and what I would do in any other state if I were pulled over or asked for ID from a PO.

I then leave it up to them to ask if I do have a weapon on me at the time or whatever. So far, they have never asked me, just thanked me for giving them the heads up on the CHL, but never actually asked if I had or where the weapon may be located.

Of course the times that I have had to produce the ID were not in traffic stops, they were in accident situation that were not my fault.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In Kansas we don't have to tell the officer we have a CCW license unless asked. I usually say "yes sir" "no sir" etc... I just don't try to get him upset or angry. Steve48

I might also state that "My sidearm is properly holstered"
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links