How are SC and NC for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on How are SC and NC for concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is posted in the right place. Looking to relocate this summer to western SC or western NC. How gun friendly are ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How are SC and NC for concealed carry?

Not sure if this is posted in the right place. Looking to relocate this summer to western SC or western NC.

How gun friendly are these places? Currently in GA which is ok.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.”
    ― Jim Elliot

SC does not have reciprocity with Ga, which I can't figure.

handgunlaw.us will help you

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    handgunlaw.us will help you
    That website is quite helpful. North Carolina's CCW gives me much more flexibility than SC. Which makes absolutely no sense. NC it is!
    ― Jim Elliot

The one think I don't like about both states is the silly "Must Inform" nonsense, and I think in both states No gun signs have force of law. I'll stay in FL most of the time.

Distinguished Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pickwick View Post
    SC does not have reciprocity with Ga, which I can't figure.
    I do not like it, but there is a reason. SC requires a one day class with a written exam and live fire test for a CWP. GA only requires a form to filled out. Since GA requires no proof of competency, SC chose to not recognize their permits. Since we do not recognize their permits, they chose not recognize ours.
    RebelSoul, Sister and First Sgt like this.

Nc cc laws are descent enough. Except for those stupid no gun signs. And supressors are legal.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I do not like it, but there is a reason. SC requires a one day class with a written exam and live fire test for a CWP. GA only requires a form to filled out. Since GA requires no proof of competency, SC chose to not recognize their permits. Since we do not recognize their permits, they chose not recognize ours.
    That does not makes sense to me. Looking at the map provided Handgunlaw.us more states honor the NC permit than the SC one. There must be something else at play here. Or it politics.
    ― Jim Elliot

Here's a quick synopsis for SC:

1.Carry permits are shall issue. Take a class, shoot fifty rounds, pass background test.
    2.No permits for buying handguns/long guns
    3.Without a CWP, you can carry a loaded firearm in glovebox or center console(enclosed space). No duty to inform in this manner
    4.Duty to inform if carrying concealed. I have been not carrying during traffic stops and always hand them my CWP along with my drivers license. This puts the cop at ease since he nows you are not a BG when he sees your permit. Friends have reported the same thing and I also have had a local LEO tell me this too, so the duty to inform doesn't bother me. LEOs I have come in contact with have been gun friendly.
    5.Castle doctrine covers house, business, yard, car
    6.We have Stand Your Ground
    7.SC has bar carry if you are no drinking
    8.No weapons signs for pirvate businesses have force of law. They must be properly worded, sized, and displayed. Their property, their right, I can make my own choice as to patronize their establishment. I see very few of these signs anyway. The places where carry is prohibited are the usual gov't buildings, etc.
    Sister, EdJean, RoadKill and 1 others like this.

I don't get out of NC much these days so its hard to compare with other states. In general, NC is gun friendly.
    NRA Patriot Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KeithC. View Post
    That does not makes sense to me. Looking at the map provided Handgunlaw.us more states honor the NC permit than the SC one. There must be something else at play here. Or it politics.
    That is why SC and GA do not recognize each others' permits. How does one state not having a competency requirement and one having one, thus refusing to recognize the state without competency requirements not make sense to you? The lawmakers in SC did not want people from GA without training and skill requirements carrying in SC.

I have no idea about SC's deals with other states though.
    Sister and First Sgt like this.

Downers Grove, IL/ Atlanta, GA/ Asheville, NC
    SC will only grant a permit if you can prove you own land there (perminent resident or non-resident both). Thus, I beleive the SC reciprocity issue stems from some politics with that. It's bothersome for me because I travel a lot between Asheville and Atlanta and I cannot legally conceal while passing through SC.

-Justin
    MMinSC and Hank19119 like this.

I should also had how I know why SC and GA do not recognize each others' CWPs:

GA gun laws was topic during my CWP class. Since they are our neighbors, the instructor went over transporting a weapon in that state etc.

Afterwards, I asked the owner of the company I work for that is a SC Sate Senator. He told me that yes, it is correct since GA has no training requirements SC will not recognize their permits. Since we do not honor GA permits, they refuse to honor ours.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    I don't get out of NC much these days so its hard to compare with other states. In general, NC is gun friendly.
    Ten to twenty years ago you would not have wrote that. Things have changed thou one with out a NC-CHP is still required to obtain handgun purchasing permits from the Sherriff of their resident county. Yes NC is better as this is written but not as good as it could be. Make a comparison as an example Pennsylvania and you would find PA is more gun friendly. With the advent of the NC legislature being now in control by Republicans it has gotten better.
    Last edited by dennis40x; March 12th, 2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: no-to-not

Quote Originally Posted by NudeLobster View Post
    SC will only grant a permit if you can prove you own land there (perminent resident or non-resident both). Thus, I beleive the SC reciprocity issue stems from some politics with that. It's bothersome for me because I travel a lot between Asheville and Atlanta and I cannot legally conceal while passing through SC.

-Justin
    Could you get a NC non-resident permit? That would work.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links