Soon no need to disarm at the quicky mart

This is a discussion on Soon no need to disarm at the quicky mart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday, February 17, 2007 Guns In Liquor Stores Get OK By Gabriela C. Guzman Journal Capitol Bureau SANTA FEó You'll be able to carry your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon no need to disarm at the quicky mart

Talking Soon no need to disarm at the quicky mart

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Guns In Liquor Stores Get OK

By Gabriela C. Guzman
    Journal Capitol Bureau
    SANTA FEó You'll be able to carry your concealed firearm into some businesses that sell booze if the state Senate has its way.
    The Senate on Friday passed and sent to the House a bill that would allow "concealed-carry" permit holders to enter businesses that sell packaged alcohol, such as gasoline stations, convenience stores and grocery stores.
    Concealed-carry permit holders, including off-duty police officers, would still be prohibited from bringing a gun into a bar or any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
    Sen. Stuart Ingle, R-Portales, is the sponsor of Senate Bill 111, which passed the Senate 26-5.
    Concealed-carry licensees "don't want to be walking into a place and breaking the law," Ingle said. "Rather than having to take (the guns) off ... they'd rather just carry them in there."
    The five senators voting against the measure were: Sen. Dede Feldman, D-Albuquerque; Sen. Linda Lopez, D-Albuquerque; Sen. Cisco McSorley, D-Albuquerque; Sen. Gerald Ortiz y Pino, D-Albuquerque; and Senate Majority Leader Michael Sanchez, D-Belen.
    Sen. Sue Wilson Beffort, R-Sandia Park, supported the bill, saying it would provide law-abiding citizens more ways to protect themselves.
    She cited the August 2005 incident at a Wal-Mart on Albuquerque's southeast side, where a 72-year-old concealed-carry permit holder shot dead a man who was stabbing his ex-wife inside the store.
    "Had (the 72-year-old man) not had a concealed gun, she would have been killed," Wilson Beffort said.
    The Wal-Mart incident is the only case in which a concealed-carry permit holder has shot someone dead, said Peter Olson, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Due Moore, the concealed-carry licensee, was not prosecuted, even though it was against the law to bring a gun into the grocery store.
    New Mexico's concealed-carry gun permit law went into effect Jan. 1, 2004. About 6,000 concealed-carry permits have been issued statewide, Olson said.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I hope this goes through for New Mexico. It's been that way in Texas, and it just seems odd to me that other states have prohibited it.

Keep us posted
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Lead Moderator
    Yep, allowed in MI too. seems strange to limit carry in such places.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    ... it just seems odd to me that other states have prohibited it.
    Yup, particularly when packaged booze doesn't mean consumption (like "serving" does). I'm of the opinion that concealed carry isn't worth much if it isn't 24x7 in every single commonly-used public venue that exists. But that's just me. Thankfully, Oregon doesn't limit much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    THANK GOODNESS, I hope this passes, I'm tired of having to disarm when going into convenience stores and wally world every time I'm over there
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I feel for you there. Here in Virginia we have relatively few limitations, but it still irks me when I have to disarm when I take my wife out to dinner (I pocket carry, and VA prohibits CCW but allows open carry where alcohol is served) because a place is licensed to serve alcohol. I suppose I can always just plop it on the table as we're eating... maybe that'll get us the service we're looking for.

Assistant Administrator
    Hope it goes thru.

Here in PA liquor stores and bars are not off limits - and to be honest I see no problem in that. If we carry and are deemed responsible and law abiding, then it is up to us to use common sense.

In summer months my wife and I bike to a small bar for superb wings - I drink a soda, and my wife may have a Bacadi or two. No problem there. If I go to buy a bottle of booze - I am carrying it home and not consuming it - so again no problem.

I am saddened by some state's seemingly intense and over enthusiastic measures to have these limitations - they only serve to make carry ever more problematic regarding staying within the law.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

How odd. I guess I'm OK with a law saying you cannot drink while carrying, but what is the deal with being scared about people being NEAR alcohol while carrying? Are the handguns predisposed to alcoholism?
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Question

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    How odd. I guess I'm OK with a law saying you cannot drink while carrying, but what is the deal with being scared about people being NEAR alcohol while carrying? Are the handguns predisposed to alcoholism?
    Re: the bold print - why?
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

In MN, you can carry in bars and liquor stores. I believe people should be able to carry there.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

It Has NOTHING To Do With Alcohol...

One should be able to carry everywhere...why not? (Just becaaaaaaase... ?)

OMO

Stay armed...at all times...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ray
    For anyone who resides in New Mexico....This isn't out of the woods yet.

Support is needed to contact representatives from the remaining committee and house.

We are running out of time in this year's session and I would urge you to contact as many of the members of the Judiciary Committee as you can to schedule a hearing and support HB588 (House Bill 588 - Concealed Handguns In Certain Businesses).

The following link will take you to the member list for the Judiciary Committee. At least call them, don't go on too long in explaining things as the members will likely just be able to pay attention to the yea or nae. It would be best if you can also spare the time to email as many of them as you can, again keeping it short and to the point. Logical points for support rather than RTKBA arguments are best. For example, arming/disarming presents too frequent handling of firearms in order to comply with the law etc...

http://legis.state.nm.us/lcs/committ...p?CommCode=HJC

Our wishing this to happen won't make it happen. We should make an effort to be a participant in this.

ok, I'll get off my soapbox now

Ray
    Just for a bit of clarification FWIW, the article posted in this thread is incorrect in the following statement:
    Due Moore, the concealed-carry licensee, was not prosecuted, even though it was against the law to bring a gun into the grocery store.
    It is not illegal to bring a gun into that particular walmart (grocery store) because that is one of (if not the only) Walmart in Albuquerque that does NOT sell alcohol. Alcohol being the prohibitive factor for carrying in the building.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post

I think I favor not being allowed to drink while you are in possession of a firearm. That, to me, is just common sense. NO ONE in their right mind condones the mixing of alcohol and firearms, automobiles, aviation, skydiving, waterskiing, etc.

But you're right, it is hyper-controlling to ban guns "anywhere near" alcohol. Why not allow the CCW in the restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you yourself are not imbibing it? Are they worried that because others may be drinking alcohol, they might start trouble and then the CCWer might draw a gun and use it? Well, what if that was wholly justified because the drunk was endangering people with deadly force? (say, a broken bottle or a knife?) Besides, it's already illegal to serve someone to the point where they're drunk! (But we know it happens all the time!)

I just think that in the case of VA's laws and others, what no one knows won't hurt them.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Just for a bit of clarification FWIW, the article posted in this thread is incorrect in the following statement:
    Due Moore, the concealed-carry licensee, was not prosecuted, even though it was against the law to bring a gun into the grocery store.
    It is not illegal to bring a gun into that particular walmart (grocery store) because that is one of (if not the only) Walmart in Albuquerque that does NOT sell alcohol. Alcohol being the prohibitive factor for carrying in the building.
    Ray, I sure hope you weren't expecting accuracy and fact-checking from the news media. They say what they want you to believe, and the truth be damned. (Either that, or they're just too lazy to do the real work that journalists are expected to do before running a story.)

Did you email the publication's editors with the correction?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links