Traffic stop = possible bad ending

This is a discussion on Traffic stop = possible bad ending within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I have a good friend in LE that told me he was stopped in another local jurisdiction for speeding. He said when he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop = possible bad ending

Traffic stop = possible bad ending

Ok so I have a good friend in LE that told me he was stopped in another local jurisdiction for speeding. He said when he gets pulled over, he doesn't just hand over his LEO ID or badge, but hands his DL and states "I have my duty weapon in the car". It's a courtesy thing to not flash it in the officer's face, but announce it to see if it will matter.

Usually an attentive officer would pick up on this and ask to see the official ID and then conduct the traffic stop as he/she sees fit. While requesting dispatch to verify.

Well, this particular officer didn't ask for the official ID, but instead asked for the driver to "grab it and hand it to me". The driver said "no, I'm not going near my duty weapon." Then presented his LEO ID and talked to the officer. They had a discussion about the request for the weapon.

He didn't get the ticket, but left thinking how dumb this person was for asking a driver to put his hands on a weapon.

I learn a lot from my LE friends, and must say that the officer doing the stop was an absolute idiot in this case.

As a civilian, what would you do? I know what I'll do, and have been advised to do, but won't post it until some responses are made.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've heard of stuff like this before... "Sir, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you want ME to hand YOU my weapon?" Always amazes me. But hey... cops are human, too, and can even they have days when their mind is someplace else.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    As a civilian, what would you do? I know what I'll do, and have been advised to do, but won't post it until some responses are made.
    If an officer wants to disarm me and asks me to hand him my gun, I'm going to say, "I'd feel more comfortable if you took it." I am not laying a hand on my weapon with a cop standing right there. Too much potential for a misunderstanding.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Officer I am leagaly armed ( with both hands fully in his view and stationary ), how would you like to handle that issue sir? No matter what he says at that point its the right way to handle it .

Edited to add:

Personaly I dont even provide id untill after this conversation since i carry strong side iwb , and wear my wallet strong side too . I dont want the officer(s) to see me even fumbeling around in that area untill they direct me to .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    With RR here - first things first and ''how do we proceed?'' is numero uno for me - get both parties at ease with where the firearm is placed.

I find it hard to imagine a cop making the request to hand it over even if it's one of his brothers - but I guess as per this case - it's possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am going to comply with the officers wishes. However I will first clarify exactly how we are going to do this.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have yet to be stopped after getting my CWP, however the couple of troppers I know and have talked to told me they do not disarm routine traffic stops where the person has the permit and informs they have a weapon. They just do not see that person as a risk.

BTW also , at least here in colorado immediatly badgeing the officer that stopped you ( either by flashing a badge or by carrying your dl in your credentials case ) is considered extremely bad form . Howeaver , leaving easily recognisable paraphanala in plain sight is ok lol . Back in another life i cant say that i would write the ticket just because of it , but the stop just expanded time wise before i let them go on down the road.

edited to add :
    This is for an le stop only. Anyone who showed me a ccw badge i would have done my best to both jail and impound the car.
    Last edited by rstickle; February 17th, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Here in MT, we are not obligated to tell LE that we are carrying, Only if they ask then you must comply, only if you feel that your weapon will be exposed during the traffic stop should you say anything. Then you would proceed as mentioned above by P95Carry.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I am a PO and when I am stopped, I politely say I'm on the job if that helps at all and show my shield and ID. Has worked so far. I don't know why he would ask an LEO for his duty weapon. And I really cannot understand why he would want ANYONE handling a weapon while he is present.

I have stopped legally armed citizens before. Once they hand me a permit I asked if they are armed just so I know and then I let them go with a verbal warning.

The cop who stopped your LE friend must have been a "TOOL".
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    edited to add :
    This is for an le stop only. Anyone who showed me a ccw badge i would have done my best to both jail and impond the car.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    That was pretty stupid of the officer conducting the stop... I am not sure how I would handle such a situation.

Maybe I would say someting along the lines of, its in the back seat, I cant reach it from my seat, go ahead and get it if you wish, or its holstered on my right side, I cant get it out from a seated position.
    I guess I would comply, I dont want to escalate a situation at all.
    If I stop someone and I want there weapon for whatever reason, I will get them out of the car, and secure them, and take the weapon myself.
    I really dont know what fool proof answer to this would be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If I stop someone and I want there weapon for whatever reason, I will get them out of the car, and secure them, and take the weapon myself.
    Best plan there lol . but if instructed by the officer on the scene to do different i will LOUDLY ( for the partners benifit ) repeat back his instructions to him and ask " is that right " then follow them slowly . Point is i want everyone on scene to know if i make a move to the back seat , or my holstered weapon , why i moved , and have time to tell me to stop moveing . Whateaver the officers want is the right thing , but i will do my part too .

edited to add

Every call or stop an officer attends has at least one weapon involved ( his ) and i want him as comfortable with this as he can be . My weapon shoud never be more than a momentary concern for any officer , if that involves me wearing cuffs for a fiew , well i have spent literaly days wearing the dammed things during arrest control training over the years lol .

VIP Member
    If the officer wants me to hand it to him, OK. But I'm going to clarify first that that is exactly what he wants and find out exactly how he wants it handed to him. Certainly don't want any mis-understandings if he wants me to grab a gun and give it to him. Never heard of an officer asking someone to anything other than "put it down" or "don't touch it" when in reference to a gun.

Since my usual holster is a clip on, I could easily hand over my gun still in the leather. That would seem to be much less threatening.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Being that our officers don't have partners, I have been told to request a supervisor or additional officer IF asked to hand over my concealed weapon. Remain compliant, as much as possible, keep hands in view and don't tense up. AT this point, dispatch should have my info verified and Wants/Warrants check should be complete.

I have also been told to call 911 if I think it is out of the ordinary, so they have everything on a recording. Sometimes the officer's recording equipment doesn't work. I know this for fact.

If the officer gets nervous at that point, or orders something otherwise, then ask to be allowed out of the vehicle and be detained until the weapon is secured in a manner that pleases the officer. Then request a supervisor or additional officer. I have nothing to hide from LE so no problem with them going into my vehicle.

After the drama, if there is any, then I am to call my LE friends and let them know what happened.

I am not greatly concerned, as I don't have reason to be stopped. I am in my 30s, so the childish crap is pretty much out of my system. My insurance rates are much more important to me than showing off.
    Last edited by XD in SC; February 17th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links