Well, I think my CCW saved me a ticket!

This is a discussion on Well, I think my CCW saved me a ticket! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unlike most other days, I left the house late for work today. Since I live in NW Las Vegas, and I'm temporarily working in our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I think my CCW saved me a ticket!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Well, I think my CCW saved me a ticket!

Unlike most other days, I left the house late for work today. Since I live in NW Las Vegas, and I'm temporarily working in our Geen Valley clinic, on the other side of the valley, I had a long way to go.

Fortunately it was Sunday, so the traffic was light, instead of the normal rush hour snarl. But, I was still running behind. and I suppose I was pushing it a bit, because as I was getting close, I passed by an unmarked state trooper. It seems that I was doing 77 in a 65 zone, and it wasn't long before I saw the lights come on. I signaled, and pulled onto the shoulder. I opened the car door, as the power window is broken, and will not roll down. However, I of course remained seated, seat belts in place, hands on the wheel, until he came up to the car on the passenger side, (of course the safe thing to do).

He signaled for me to open the door, and when I did he asked for my license. I had thought about what I would do should this happen, and I've read all of the threads on the topic. I had decided that I would immediately inform the officer, and advise him where the gun was, should I ever be stopped. So, the first thing that I said was "Before I moe my hands off of the wheel, I want to inform you that I have a concealed handgun permit, and I have a Glock 26 9mm pistol in my right front pocket. How would you like me to proceed? He told me that was fine, and that I could go ahead and hand him the license. I pulled out my OL, CHP, and my proof of insurance, and handed it to him, saying that I would have to look in my other wallet for my registration.

However, before I could do that, he asked where I was heading. I told him that I was going to work at the new clinic we have in the Walgreens, and gave him the address. He then handed me back the OL. CHP, and insurance card, and asked me to slow down, that I was going 77 in a 65 zone. I said that I would, and thanked him, he then shut the door and went back to his car.

I then pulled off, and headed on to work, at the limit this time. I got to work a little late, but that was ok, since the Nurse Practitioner had already opened the clinic. I was thrilled that he didn't give me a ticket. It may have been the CHP, or that I told him that I worked in a clinic, or he may have just been having a good day. However, whatever the reason. I'm happy that I didn't get a ticket.
    Last edited by P95Carry; February 18th, 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Split into para's.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I think it was the combo of things, and you were only 11 over on a Sunday morning with light traffic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mrs. Airedale had the same thing happen.
    She was speeding, was stopped, and handed her license and CC license to the officer.
    He told her to slow down and have a nice day.
    Dave

Probably filled his quota already...oh, that's right, cops don't have quotas...none whatsoever.

Gratz on the free ride though!
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Frankly, I think it's an insult to LEOs to suggest that they don't enforce the law simply because they agree with CCW by the offender... ...duh...

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Most LEOs I know and those I have been stopped by like it when you are honest, pleasant and respectful towards them. I have been pulled over a number of times over the years and only have ever received a ticket when I was 16, driving a car with a busted windshield, no insurance, no registration, fictitious plates, and 15 mph over the posted limit. Even then, the officer only gave me tickets for everything but speeding. He had to have the car towed, but gave me a ride home and talked to my dad. I don't know what he said, but it must have been good since I didn't get the beating I expected.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Frankly, I think it's an insult to LEOs to suggest that they don't enforce the law simply because they agree with CCW by the offender... ...duh...
    Actually, I think that it was my attitude, not the CCW itself. I think that the officer appreciated being informed of the presence of a weapon, along with the respect that I showed in general.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Probably filled his quota already...oh, that's right, cops don't have quotas...none whatsoever.

Gratz on the free ride though!
    That's right, they can write AS MANY TICKETS as they want, all day any day. Glad for you that you got out of the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    That's not nice!

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But I certainly wouldn't count on it as a get-out-of-ticket-free every time.
    As an aside, is there a ratio of posted speed to actual speed whereby a simple case of speeding results in a more serious offense? My wife thinks that if you are caught at 20% more than the posted limit (60mph in a 50mph zone) it is a more serious matter.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But I certainly wouldn't count on it as a get-out-of-ticket-free every time.
    As an aside, is there a ratio of posted speed to actual speed whereby a simple case of speeding results in a more serious offense? My wife thinks that if you are caught at 20% more than the posted limit (60mph in a 50mph zone) it is a more serious matter.
    It depends on the jurisdiction, but generally speaking yes. Fines are on scaled, 1-10 over is $, 10-15 over is $$ and so on. Some states it goes into felony status and jail time once you get up into triple digits.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Smile cops in general

Most cops have to put up with a lot of crap. They never know what will happen when they approch a pulled over car. I think they appreciate it when they find some one polite that makes their job esaier. When some one hands them their DL and a ccw the cop is probaley releived that this is going to be an easy stop. They don't need a quota. There are plenty of traffic offenders.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Yep, starting the conversation with; "Good day Officer/Constable" generally works a lot better than: "##@# what did I do to now and shouldn't you be busting some bad guy"!!!!"

Hmmm I could just imagine the startled look on our Officer's faces if I informed them that I was armed and had a lawful ATC (Canadian CCW)

So it's not a percentage thing based thing but strictly based on how many mph over the posted limit?

Administrator
    I've never heard of one being based on percentage, but I guess it could be. It just depends on how that jurisdiction sets it up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links