This may sound dumb... but need opinions

This is a discussion on This may sound dumb... but need opinions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I carry an SR40c IWB. This never bothered me before, but for some reason the texture around the grip of my gun(inside red circle) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: This may sound dumb... but need opinions

So, I carry an SR40c IWB. This never bothered me before, but for some reason the texture around the grip of my gun(inside red circle) is bothering my skin. I actually think it is the edge of the ruger symbol circle (see yellow ring) that has some points that are sticking up and for some reason irritating me now. I do not use an under shirt...never have, and not planning on it either, so that is out. I was thinking about Talon grips, but that texture might be worse, even though covering the stock texture. Could I take a small file to those points, or is there something I can use to cover those on the gun but not bother my skin.

Like I said, it kinda is a dumb question, but I don't know why after 2 straight years it started to bother me.

sr40 with circles.jpg

Thanks for input in advance.

bigdrowe
    Guns are like parachutes: if you donít have one when you need it, then chances are that you wonít ever be in need of one again.
    - James Wesley Rawles

I think Talon grips would be better than filing the grip (the rubber grips, not the skateboard tape ones).
    bigdrowe, Kennydale and CLASS3NH like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    What type of irritation? Are you getting an allergic type reaction, or just chafing from the texture? Maybe you're getting a reaction from cleaning oil residue on the gun?
    DingBat, Aceoky, CLASS3NH and 1 others like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty has an excellent observation. Do you have any Latex allergies?

That said, a file will be hard to get in there to knock down those points. it may actually make matters worse.

BUT- some emory cloth or sandpaper may be just the ticket....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

"First comes smiles. Then comes lies. Last is Gunfire."

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    What type of irritation? Are you getting an allergic type reaction, or just chafing from the texture? Maybe you're getting a reaction from cleaning oil residue on the gun?
    It is more of a poking/chafing. It just irritates me but necessarily doesn't chafe my skin. Not due to an oil, only because I don't oil the polymer grip of my firearm.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns are like parachutes: if you donít have one when you need it, then chances are that you wonít ever be in need of one again.
    - James Wesley Rawles

This is why I wear regular t-shirts in cold weather and very thin wife-beater t-shirts in hot weather. But you said that option is out.
    Sister likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    Betty has an excellent observation. Do you have any Latex allergies?

That said, a file will be hard to get in there to knock down those points. it may actually make matters worse.

BUT- some emory cloth or sandpaper may be just the ticket....
    I was thinking the same thing... Watch me take a file and do some hack job and make things worse. I feel the sand paper might cover more area than I want, and I am still trying to keep grip there so gun stays sturdy in my hand.

Thanks

Aceoky likes this.
    - James Wesley Rawles

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    This is why I wear regular t-shirts in cold weather and very thin wife-beater t-shirts in hot weather. But you said that option is out.
    Yes, because in hot weather, I am fat and hate to sweat, lol. I guess if last resort, I could rock a beater.

- James Wesley Rawles

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Or, I am being serious here, wrap the grip with some quality black electricians tape. It must work very well because each year the local police department collects about 2 dozen with electricians tape around the grips. Often it is barely noticeable.

If nothing else, you can see if your hand continues to have issues. It may not be the gun but a skin condition that a dermatologist needs to look at.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Or, I am being serious here, wrap the grip with some quality black electricians tape. It must work very well because each year the local police department collects about 2 dozen with electricians tape around the grips. Often it is barely noticeable.

If nothing else, you can see if your hand continues to have issues. It may not be the gun but a skin condition that a dermatologist needs to look at.
    Black electrical tape? Never heard that. Would you think that would make it slick. Also, that would be a mess to take off(leaving glue on grip).

Hmmmm...

- James Wesley Rawles

SIGP250 and luvmy40 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Great idea but no application for my gun.

- James Wesley Rawles

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    Black electrical tape? Never heard that. Would you think that would make it slick. Also, that would be a mess to take off(leaving glue on grip).

Hmmmm...

Electrical tape usually doesn't leave much residue at all. To avoid slickness maybe just run a single strip around the grip so that it covers the logo.
    bigdrowe and Aceoky like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

ó Captain Bellamy

I carry a 5" 1911, a spare magazine, and a cell phone on my belt covered by an un-tucked shirt. If I do not wear a t-shirt, they will all cause a rash where they contact my skin and rub.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    Great idea but no application for my gun.

You may have to search for one that does fit...

You searched for: hogue slip on grip sr40c - MidwayUSA
    Aceoky and AZJD1968 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links