possibly interesting reciprocity facts

This is a discussion on possibly interesting reciprocity facts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some reciprocity facts which you may find interesting. There are 49 political divisions in the USA that have statutes allowing the issue of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possibly interesting reciprocity facts

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

possibly interesting reciprocity facts

Here are some reciprocity facts which you may find interesting.

There are 49 political divisions in the USA that have statutes allowing the issue of CCW permits for nonLEOs: 47 states, the District of Columbia, and Guam.

Defining “best CCW state” as the state with the most widely accepted CCW permit, 2 states are tied for first and second place: MI & NC; permits of both are accepted in 33 states. Close runners-up are
    32: KY, TN
    31: AK, FL, MO, OK, UT
    30: TX

Defining “friendliest CCW state” as the state which accepts CCW permits of the most states, the friendliest is AK, which accepts all 49 issued permits. Of course AK and VT are equally excellent in allowing any legal gun owner to practice concealed carry.

Among the entities which do issue permits, there are 14 almost as unfriendly as IL and WI, recognizing only their own permits: DC, Guam, and the following states: CA, HI, IA, MA, MD, ME, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OR, RI.

DC and HI are theoretically “may-issue” because they have CCW statutes; but I have heard that they never actually issue permits.

If you see that I have erred, please post a correction. Anyone have first-hand data about CCW in DC, Guam, or HI?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not quite first hand but I believe in HI - unless you are ''special'' - meaning probably some bigwig - forget it!! Probably on a par with MD!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Nice to see MI as a carry friendly state. It sure took us long enough.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Interesting breakdown. I think your "friendliest CCW state" category should maybe be split into two different categories. AK and VT don't require a CCW at all - so it's not so much that they recognize other state's CCW permits, they don't even require them. So, they should go in a category of "Best Truly Free State"

I'd like to submit Missouri as "Friendliest CCW State". Even though we do require a permit here, the state recognizes any permit issued by any political entity or subdivision of the US. No reciprocity process is necessary - if IL started issuing CCW tomorrow, they'd be good here by the time a holder could drive across the state line.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Not quite first hand but I believe in HI - unless you are ''special'' - meaning probably some bigwig - forget it!! Probably on a par with MD!
    I've heard that while Hawaii issues permits in theory, nobody has ever actually been documented as having received one.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    Oklahoma accepts all permits, no questions asked. We're recognized in 31 states, but still not SC which is the one state I need to recognize me the most.

Oh well, at least the people in my state know that citizens can be trusted with guns.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

If i remember correctly, Michigan recognizes all resident permits from every state. Non-resident permits are a no go here though. You have to live in the state that issued your permit in order for it to be valid here.

Also, in a article by Massad Ayoob, I believe it was him at least, it was said there were only 2 Permits in Hawaii as far as they know, the Governor, and the civilian armorer for the Honalulu PD. Said there was a "agreement" by all the police chiefs in the state to never issue a permit to a civilian.

Indiana accepts all permits. Our gun laws are among the nations best, no thanks to David Orentlicher.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I've heard that while Hawaii issues permits in theory, nobody has ever actually been documented as having received one.
    Don't know about HI, but MD has a surprising number of permits issued, at least to me. I can't remember the actual number, but it was far more than I expected.

The down side is that "normal" people can't get one. They all go to those politically connected or handling large amounts of money.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Defining “friendliest CCW state” as the state which accepts CCW permits of the most states, the friendliest is AK, which accepts all 49 issued permits.
    According to handgunlaw.us, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Utah all honor permits from any other state (Michigan only honors resident permits).

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    I'd like to submit Missouri as "Friendliest CCW State". Even though we do require a permit here, the state recognizes any permit issued by any political entity or subdivision of the US.

Joe
    Right! I see that all 49 [edit: make that 51] permits are recognized by MO and IN because they appear to be the only ones to include permits issued by Guam.

[Edit] I must correct the 49 possible permits to 51. I previously overlooked Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, both "may issue".
    Last edited by Anubis; February 18th, 2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: improved accuracy

As I understand it, in HI there is ONE CCW outstanding - to the civilian armorer for the state police. (I believe I heard this on GunTalk)
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    According to handgunlaw.us, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Utah all honor permits from any other state (Michigan only honors resident permits).
    My understanding is that Tennessee also honors only resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    My understanding is that Tennessee also honors only resident permits.
    According to handgunlaw.us, Tennessee isn't on the 'only honor permits from residents of the issuing states' list. It is, however, on the, 'very restrictive Non-Resident issue policies' list.

Maybe I'm Alone Here...

but how many states I can carry in is pretty irrevelant to me. I do travel back and forty from Florida (home) to Michigan (grandkids). All the states I travel in/through honor my permit, and that is all I care about.

I would never do business in a state that doesn't honor my permit. That said, Florida allows carry almost everywhere: banks, churches, dining establishments w/alcohol, etc. I like Florida's places you can carry (almost everywhere), I enjoy not seeing those "No Carry Signs" seen in other states. Lastly, Florida's recent 'Castle Doctrine' allows a comfort zone for a true self-defense situation. Florida is pretty gun friendly!

I am usually confused by individuals who feel that their permit is better because they have 33 states instead of 31 states, etc. Unless one is a national traveler, who cares?

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links