B'Ham News - "Metro area loaded with concealed guns" - Page 2

B'Ham News - "Metro area loaded with concealed guns"

This is a discussion on B'Ham News - "Metro area loaded with concealed guns" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by samtechlan Still it is surprising that Alabama is a "may issue" rather than a "shall issue" state. I think it may be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by samtechlan View Post
    Still it is surprising that Alabama is a "may issue" rather than a "shall issue" state. I think it may be the only southern state that is not "shall issue".
    Well to get re-elected sheriff you have to give out Pistol permits. I never heard of anyone being denied one who could legally get one. I would rather it be a "shall issue" state
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Great article even tho it has a touch of negativity.. Hey I'll take what I can get from a mostly lefty media..I'm surprised its pro at all.....

fair and balanced. Of course I would love to see something weighted more towards a pro stance, but considering all the blatently negative press gun owners usually receive, I think this is a pretty good approach. I think more people who might be fence sitters will be swayed by subtle advances like this, and it might just go a long way towards softening some people who only "think" they are true antis.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I never heard of anyone being denied one who could legally get one.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=543609

Quote Originally Posted by MarineRev
    Just moved to Alabama from Florida for my job.

I went to the sheriffs office to get my concealed carry permit and surrender my florida one.

SOB refused to give me one. He said in Alabama he don't have to give one to anybody regardless of if they pass the background check and have one from another state yada, yada, yada.....

Said If he feels like giving one he will and if he dont then your SOL.

Dosent even care that I have an FFL and opening up shop here. Basically told me to go screw. Point blank told me that "he was the big frog in a little pond, and this aint Florida"

***!

You cant go to a different department to get one either. It has to be from the CLEO where you reside.

I feel like he is denying me my right to protect myself by not granting a permit.

mtmzg,

Thanks for posting this link. I was looking for it online, but for some reason my stupid computer firewall blocked the B'ham news website. While I, like pgrass, have never heard of one being denied, the article in question is written only about two of the biggest counties in AL. I could see some small town "big fish" sherriff doing what he pleases, but as was already stated, 99% of AL, if you want to be re-elected sherriff, you don't deny permits. I was very pleased with this article and I hope more media can get it through their thick skulls... P.S. -- It makes me proud of my hometown! (At least it's not another story about the 113 homicides B'ham had last year! ) Gee, I wonder why so many people have permits????

-Tim

Great pro gun article!! Steve48

I grew up in Birmingham, and my Mom had a concealed permit most of her adult life. My Dad was a full-time National Guard officer, and he bought my Mom a .38 Special after the riots in the early 60's, when a bunch of thugs broke into our basement. Dad was out on riot duty, so Mom held them off at the top of the stairs leading up from the basement with a big iron skillet (I still remember the "WWhhaannnggg!" sound when she connected with one thug's head)- Dad bought her the pistol the next day.

She used her pistol twice that I know of to defend herself. She never fired a shot - just producing the pistol was enough to put the BGs to flight.

All in all, I say good for Birmingham if they have a high percentage of CCW citizens!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Fair Article!!!

But, I'd like to see two things expounded on

1) ...the sheriff's departments in Jefferson and Shelby counties said permit holders rarely use their weapons. this should maybe say "for legal self defense and" then move on to next line

Crimes committed with legally held concealed handguns are so rare, they said, that they couldn't recall any such incidents.

2) Henson, who had a permit for the handgun, served four years at the Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women. was this a CCL or just a permit to possess???

BUT A GREAT & FAIR ARTICLE
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder51 View Post

2) Henson, who had a permit for the handgun, served four years at the Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women. was this a CCL or just a permit to possess???
    In Alabama a Pistol Permit is a permit to conceal a pistol on your person or in your vehicle. You do not need a permit to own a pistol.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links