Va one handgun a month, not for CHP holder

This is a discussion on Va one handgun a month, not for CHP holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may already know this, but in VA, if you have a CWP, you are not held to the one handgun a month, ...

Thread: Va one handgun a month, not for CHP holder

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Talking Va one handgun a month, not for CHP holder

Some of you may already know this, but in VA, if you have a CWP, you are not held to the one handgun a month, I found that out while picking up my G21 coming back from Glock.

After looking on the State Police site, It's right there.

1 a month exceptions

scroll down to #6
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Yep! It's good to have that kind of leeway.

Lead Moderator
    Stupid others do have a limit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Always good to have a class system in place. Certain classes exempted from some things, other classes exempted from others.

Good old Doug Wilder. The gun of the month govenor.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Stupid others do have a limit.
    +1...I agree...

How are the BG's regulated?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All I can say is thank God for TEXAS. Here in Texas there are no limits to how many guns a person can purchase with or without a CCW permit. As long as you pass a background check you can purchase as many as your wallet allows. I talked to a local ATF agent once and he said, "Son, this is Texas you could buy a hundred at a time if you wanted to. As long as you pass the background check." I've seen collectors and other leave gun shops with an arm load full of arms. Now I'm not sure about crime statistics here in the area but I think it's pretty neat for law abiding citizens to have the option to purchase as many weapons as they'd like.

limits for one, is no different than limits for ALL. They have no right telling one group of citizens they can buy more than 1 a month, but others cannot. This is such a bad law it's not even funny.

what's next... people with a "free speech permit" that cost them $200 can say what they want all month.. but others can only speak during the daytime hours?

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Just a cotton pickin minute here! This is not establishing a class system. It used to be that everyone in VA was subject to the OGAM (One Gun A Month) law (thanks to some freedom hating legislators and a RAT governor who is currently the gun hating mayor of Richmond). We tried to get it rescinded, but the best we could get was to have them exempt CHP holders from the OGAM law. We have been very successful at chipping away at the gun control infrastructure that used to have such a hold on Virginians. We are shall issue, open carry legal, and fully pre-empted (can you say those last two about Texas?) . Give us some time and we'll get rid of the rest of these idiotic laws like OGAM and our stupid "restaurant ban"
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Just a cotton pickin minute here! This is not establishing a class system. It used to be that everyone in VA was subject to the OGAM (One Gun A Month) law (thanks to some freedom hating legislators and a RAT governor who is currently the gun hating mayor of Richmond). We tried to get it rescinded, but the best we could get was to have them exempt CHP holders from the OGAM law. We have been very successful at chipping away at the gun control infrastructure that used to have such a hold on Virginians. We are shall issue, open carry legal, and fully pre-empted (can you say those last two about Texas?) . Give us some time and we'll get rid of the rest of these idiotic laws like OGAM and our stupid "restaurant ban"
    not intending to discredit the hard work of people to change the laws.

the class system, was set up by the govt. not you or any other gun owner.

VIP Member
    When I was a VA resident I thought that it meant I had to buy one gun a month. That's what my local gun dealer told me.

I tried my best but couldn't keep up for the entire time. Law enforcement was always exempted. Also if one goes to their local VSP (Virginia State Police) barracks you can request and get issued a multiple handgun purchase form. You just have to go through their process. In Leesburg it took about 5 days when I did it a few years back. After that you get your own file with the VSP.

I can't complain much about VA. I can buy as many handguns as I want here in MO, but have to spend the time (about 100 minutes round trip), gas money and fees ($10) to go get a permit to acquire for each one. Just so that the sheriff could deny blacks and any other "undesirables" the ability to buy handguns back in the day. Doing the math on all the costs it added $96 to my most recent aquisition of 3 handguns.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Arkansas is a buy all you want state. If you pass background check that is !!!!! At least that's what my dealer said.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I can't complain much about VA. I can buy as many handguns as I want here in MO, but have to spend the time (about 100 minutes round trip), gas money and fees ($10) to go get a permit to acquire for each one. Just so that the sheriff could deny blacks and any other "undesirables" the ability to buy handguns back in the day. Doing the math on all the costs it added $96 to my most recent aquisition of 3 handguns.
    I didn't realize that law was still on the books ... WOW!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    No limit in Colorado. I only once bought pistols in consecutive months anyway, so even then I was barely up to the Virginia maximum.

Links