IWB Presentation Difficulties

This is a discussion on IWB Presentation Difficulties within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to free State of Texas (originally from Republic of Kalifornia) and CC (thank you Texas). With the summer approaching; I decided I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: IWB Presentation Difficulties

I am new to free State of Texas (originally from Republic of Kalifornia) and CC (thank you Texas). With the summer approaching; I decided I would be using IWB (Galco King Tuk with G23) for EDC. I found draw from IWB is very difficult and I don’t seem to be able to get a “clean” draw reliably. I have been practice the presentation about 30 times every night and most of time I am “pinching” my skin with my thumb. After about 10 raps, the skin just around the holster begins to feel raw.

Does anyone have the same problem? Any tips?
    gatorbait51 and vice87 like this.

VIP Member
    Experiment with the location of carry. I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position and don't have issues.
    Rhinoman and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I carry at 3:00 and don't have that problem, either. Of course, I'm not speed drawing thirty times/day.
    PEF, gatorbait51, baren and 1 others like this.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Try using your fingers to withdraw the gun and wrapping the thumb around as the gun begins to clear the holster.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Another thing might be the holster itself. I am not familiar with that particular model but looking at pictures of it, if the leather is not firm enough it will pinch the pistol against the kydex shell and cause the gun to feel "stuck" inside the holster. Over time it should mold a bit around the gun but until then it will be tough. Is this what you feel? The gun takes more force than you expect?

A properly molded Leather or Kydex holster would be something to consider. They will cost more but I think they would be better for you. You could also experiment with apendix carry, although with that comes new things to worry about. Not least of which is the muzzle pointing close to the femoral artery or your man parts. It can be safe though with the right holster and proper care taken when holstering your weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Try different positions. I found I prefer AIWB, but do train at 3-4:00, too. You may need to cut the holster to get a full combat grip.

Your right in digging in there to get a full grip. You don't want to draw with 2 or 3 fingers and then try to regrip in the middle of presenting.

Congrats on your move. I have lots of family in the eastern half. Wish I had some property in west Texas, but you got to play the hand that's dealt ya.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Yup Compared to Kommifornia TX is a breath of fresh air....someday we might even get the freedom of Constitutional Carry.
    gatorbait51 and Rhinoman like this.
    "Liberal arguments against guns tend to presume the worst: that a yearning for gun ownership must in some way be rooted in the desire to hurt. But gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love"
    Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

I have practiced this a hundred times. I have an SR9c with a N82 professional. Remember the golden rule, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

I found the quickest draw for me is to pull my shirt up with my left hand, wrap my hand on the handle and when I have a good grip, a slight twist, up and out. It sounds slow but in reality, it's under 3 seconds. I stared out slowly, taking close to 10 seconds and without thinking about it, it dropped to 3 seconds. It sounds like you're trying too hard.

Now, if we're taking about a pocket carry? Fugedda 'bout it.
    gatorbait51 and Rhinoman like this.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

To be a citizen you are required to stand up straight and tall as you can. To be a subject you are required only to kneel.

Hey BC lets see some pics with your carry rig on so we can see what the problem is. Welcome to Texas/Tejas!!!! I see you live in El Paso, I'm done here in the Rio Grande Valley we share the same river. Just a short leisurely 14 hour drive down the road.
    gatorbait51, hick63 and Kennydale like this.

Might try a Tee shirt under outside shirt. I do when I use my alien gear.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When they outlaw guns,only outlaws will have guns.

Can only recommend varying the position along the belt line, the ride height, the cant. Am assuming you don't have any physical issues reaching around to it, wherever it is. Am assuming you don't have any, er, "love handle" issues that are fouling the angle of attack you're forced to make. So long as it's (more or less) a straight shot, and so long as you consistently get a good hands-on grip ... but then, you know that.

Myself, when I was starting IWB, I had to try a handful of different holsters before I found the right position (height, cant). Hard to make many concrete recommendations, since everyone's body shape and basic movement differs.

You might try this: reposition the holster to the 3 o-clock position, then try 20 draws from there. Then, move it back to 4 o-clock, and try it there, getting it right at that spot. Then, move it to where you're ideally wanting it to be. At each spot, your gun should draw from the holster and allow holstering without major problems, and the only real variable should be you. If at every spot you find it's a bit of a pain, then consider the holster itself, its ride height, the cant, perhaps even the reinforcement around the mouth of the holster (if holstering it's a touchy thing).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Location of carry as like others have said, also I recommend an undershirt. Practice and experiment.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

I absolutely cannot stand a gun against my hide.

So in the summer, I'll be found with a tucked in T shirt and an open button down covering the gun.

I do OK for a civvie. Decent, not great. At our last shoot, we ran a string of five: draw, shoot at 15 yard steel, holster, repeat. Keep going until you hit the steel.

Five for five, 1.81 average. Gun was an HK VP9, holster was a Milt Sparks VMII.

Clawing at a gun IWB is miserable. In my opinion, it's all about the holster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have 2 drawers full of holsters. The IWB I find most comfortable was made by Mike1956. I do wear an undershirt with it as I also don't like the gun against my skin. It is the only IWB holster I forget I'm wearing. When it is too hot to wear an undershirt I had Nelson holsters make a leather one that completely shields my skin. It's a bit tougher to draw but there certainly is no wear on my hide with either one. I wear both at 3:00.

A question for you is how do you clear your cover garment? Perhaps a video of you drawing would be helpful. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks in here that could offer great critical advice.
    Mike1956 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Video is always best for evaluating ones performance.

Another question is, are you using a proper gun belt? That too can make a difference. Beyond that, is your thumbnail scraping your skin? Do you run the back of your thumb smoothly down your side and around your grip or are you diving at your holster from further away form you body? Those are just some thoughts. Figure out the best/smoothest way and work it from there. Don't try for speed but rather to be slow, smooth, and perfect each time. Speed will come.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links