Pulled over in Illinois (a non-event)

This is a discussion on Pulled over in Illinois (a non-event) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying for a year now. One of my fears has been the inevitable police stop for a traffic issue. Being in Illinois ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Pulled over in Illinois (a non-event)

Pulled over in Illinois (a non-event)

I have been carrying for a year now. One of my fears has been the inevitable police stop for a traffic issue. Being in Illinois I thought it would be a big event. Not so. A female officer pulled me over on I88 this AM for speeding. When I was asked if I had any weapons in the car I replied yes but I had a concealed carry permit. She asked to see it. (the permit) While looking at it a call came over her radio that I had a CCL. The stop went ahead as if nothing unusual had happened. She was as polite and nice as could be. (except for a $140 ticket).
    OD*, OldVet, craze and 9 others like this.
    Glock 19, Glock 26, Shield 9

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tomiboy View Post
    I have been carrying for a year now. One of my fears has been the inevitable police stop for a traffic issue. Being in Illinois I thought it would be a big event. Not so. A female officer pulled me over on I88 this AM for speeding. When I was asked if I had any weapons in the car I replied yes but I had a concealed carry permit. She asked to see it. (the permit) While looking at it a call came over her radio that I had a CCL. The stop went ahead as if nothing unusual had happened. She was as polite and nice as could be. (except for a $140 ticket).
    OUCH!
    Eric357, Aceoky, Katana1 and 4 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    I listen to Chicago police radio from time to time. When a traffic stop comes in with the license plate number one of the pieces of information sent back to the LEO is whether or not the owner of that license plate also has a CCW. I don't know if its done state wide or not. Glad it worked out for you. You can buy a lot of 9mm for $140.
    Eric357, Katana1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don't let facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member
    MMXVI-GSUFHC

VIP Member
    Yes, you must have been going a good bit over the limit . Glad it was otherwise a good stop . She figured if you could afford to carry and pay permit fees you can pay a ticket .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    $140 is less than my last one, although many years ago. Glad the IL LE is accepting of the new concept of lawful civilian carry--or at least that LE0.
    OD*, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glad it went well, but I have to agree for 140 bucks you can buy some ammo, or a couple or three tickets per year or two would be enough to add a gun to the collection.

Slow down, use your cruise control and be safe.
    OldVet, Str8upguy and gatorbait51 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I never found speeding to save more than a few minutes on a long trip. That time is negated by the increased costs of gas and the occasional ticket. I can't count the number of times I had cars zoom past me only to pass them up sitting on the side of the road--with a "friend" at their window.
    Mdauben, craze, NONAME762 and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks for the report. Since I have been carry concealed (seven years) I have been stopped 11 times. Don't judge me! Each time I was treated professionally and with respect...and I have never been given a ticket.
    gloves12 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyone speeds on I88. Not an excuse but if you go the limit you'll pretty much get one-finger saluted by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Yes, you must have been going a good bit over the limit .
    Not sure about the laws in IL but in AL that's the basic ticket for exceeding the speed limit... at all. IIRC it was something like 1-25mph over is $140 and it goes up from there. Admittedly, most LEOs won't bother unless you are doing at least 10mph over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Mike

ďArms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.Ē
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never found speeding to save more than a few minutes on a long trip. That time is negated by the increased costs of gas and the occasional ticket. I can't count the number of times I had cars zoom past me only to pass them up sitting on the side of the road--with a "friend" at their window.
    On a 120mi trip with no stops, construction... at 60mph, it will take 2 hours.
    Going 65mph only saves you 9m 13s. Over a 2 hour trip! You can save about 1m 15s on a 10 mile commute, with no stops, slowdowns, lights, traffic...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

OP, that's the way a stop should be. Kudos to the LEO for handling it professionally and without injecting biases or fears that had no place.

I wonder whether the initial fears over the transition (in IL) are largely unfounded, given how such stops are being handled. I know that when OH and a few other states went to common licensed carry there were many well-publicized incidents involving fairly energetic take-downs of people based on fears of what might be, instead of what threat (lack of threat, really) existed.
    gloves12 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lesson learned. "Thou shall not speed"
    gatorbait51 likes this.

How in the world did you get pulled over on I88 for speeding? Even if you go 65 mph, 10 mph over the limit, you best stay in the right lane, because you will have your doors blown off.

Glad to hear the stop went well. Every firearms instructor I've had were current LEOs and they all appreciate CCers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Quote Originally Posted by tomiboy View Post
    ... (except for a $140 ticket).
    Gadzooks! --- FWIW, the average speeding ticket here in AL is about $190. Several years back (I mean quite a while) the state doubled court costs essentially to give state judges (not municipal judges) a raise. For quite a while there were a LOT of warnings issued in lieu of tickets, at least locally, because LEOs here took quite a bit of offense at that notion (we're not all jerks, LOL). Sitting around at the little Mayberry-esque department where I do part-time fill in shift work post-retirement we were discussing how we all must remember that writing someone in this area a $190 ticket probably just cost them their car payment, power bill, or week's groceries.

Sorry, I digressed (again). I'm glad to hear you had a non-issue on that stop (other than that ticket). I like hearing stories about legal CCWers not getting any gruff from LEOs in less gun friendly states. My wife and I will be travelling in about 3 weeks up to Great Lakes for the youngest's Navy boot camp graduation. Though toting LEO creds (current creds, plus retired ID and qual card, plus state issued permit [I'm an over-achiever, LOL]) I'm always a bit nervous when travelling north of home (I've rarely traveled far). Obviously I won't carry on the base, but I go practically no where else unarmed. My general rule is No Weapons? No ME!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links