Registering your guns with any government body

Registering your guns with any government body

This is a discussion on Registering your guns with any government body within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had known that some states kept records of gun sales, perhaps tracking a current owner (via firearms transfers), but now in reading through the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registering your guns with any government body

Thumbs down Registering your guns with any government body

I had known that some states kept records of gun sales, perhaps tracking a current owner (via firearms transfers), but now in reading through the forums it appears that other states make you register your gun purchases with the local authorities too. How prevalent is this? is there a way I can look at which states require gun registrations and which don't?

I live in Utah and know that we can buy and sell from anyone to anyone as long as they are also Utah residents and not felons. There is no background check and no registration whatsoever here. When you purchase a gun the store does have a record of who they sold it to. If the gun ever turns up at a crime they (the police or state investigators) call the Mfg who tells them the gun store they sold it to. The state then goes to the gun store and asks them, and then they follow the chain of owners. There is no "rule" stating that an owner must track who they sell their guns to but most I know do just in case it ever ends up in the wrong hands you at least have someone's name and drivers license number to point the state to.

Anyone know the answer to how many states have gun registries?

i've been wondering the same thing as i've noticed a greater number of posts referring to "registering" their firearms.

where i live, i have to "register" my firearms, though it has nothing to do with city, county, or state ordinance. living on a military base makes you wonder what the future really holds for us ...

Quote Originally Posted by LovesGunsUT View Post
    I had known that some states kept records of gun sales, perhaps tracking a current owner (via firearms transfers), but now in reading through the forums it appears that other states make you register your gun purchases with the local authorities too. How prevalent is this? is there a way I can look at which states require gun registrations and which don't?

I live in Utah and know that we can buy and sell from anyone to anyone as long as they are also Utah residents and not felons. There is no background check and no registration whatsoever here. When you purchase a gun the store does have a record of who they sold it to. If the gun ever turns up at a crime they (the police or state investigators) call the Mfg who tells them the gun store they sold it to. The state then goes to the gun store and asks them, and then they follow the chain of owners. There is no "rule" stating that an owner must track who they sell their guns to but most I know do just in case it ever ends up in the wrong hands you at least have someone's name and drivers license number to point the state to.

Anyone know the answer to how many states have gun registries?
    I retired from the Navy in VA, where you have to register your firearms. I dislike paying state tax and snow, so I moved to sunny Florida.

Being a good, law abiding citizen, I called the Sheriff's Office and ask how I went about registering my firearms.

The Deputy who answed the phone said, "...you wanna do whut? We don't do that down heah"

God I love Florida!

E5Tango, can you clarify... does that mean that if you live on base, any military base you must register all guns?

Nebraska does not require you to register any weapons. But the city of Omaha will not let you purchase a gun inside city limits without first registering it prior to picking it up. Even if you have a gun you already own and bring it here, they don't FORCE you to register.. but if you're caught you'll be in trouble. You're suppose to register it.

No clarification on it yet, as the authorities will not answer us back when we ask the question. But we're thinking that even someone visiting this city with a handgun, is suppose to register. Say you have concealed carry permit and want to go to Omaha.. we think that you are suppose to have that gun registered.

But like I said, nobody will clarify this for us. Gee.. I wonder why that is? If they clarify it.. people can follow the law.. then who are they going to cite for carrying an illegal weapon and make a big stink in the news about the "evil law breaking CCW people".

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    No registering in KS.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Michigan makes you register any hand gun with your local sheriff when it's purchased, but if you move out of the county, you are not required to re-register it with your new county... never understood that one.

Long guns can be bought and sold without the need to register. Private citizen to private citizen of a long gun doesn't require any back-ground check either, private pistol transfer still require that you register with the sheriff.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I live in the communist state of NewYorkistan.

Citizens of this state are neutered by the state and local governments and have no 2nd Amendment rights. With a handgun license we only have the counties permission to own and keep a handgun at our place of residence and we can take it to the range or out for hunting. The handguns must be registered at the county level with the police. We have a very specific handgun registration process:

a. Go to gun store and find gun you wish to buy and put sufficient deposit on it our pay for it in full and obtain: Manufacturer, Serial #, Caliber, and FFL Name

b. Go to police location (only one location in the county) to get a purchase permit where the police will complete the form with the information from STEP A. Note that the purchase permit is only good for 10 days. A generic purchase permit is supposed to be available so that you can go to a gun show and buy the handgun as you don't now the information in STEP A prior to going to the gun show. I have tried to obtain this type of permit 2 times and was denied both times.

c. Go back to gun store with purchase permit and complete paperwork to purchase the handgun.

d. Go back to the police location to have the handgun examined against the information on the purchase permit and have the handgun added to your handgun license. Note that the police charge $5 for any change to your license - change your employer ($5), change your phone # ($5), change your mailing address ($5), and $5 for each gun you add or remove to/from the license.

I can't wait to move to a real state where the citizens of the state have real rights.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markdido View Post
    I retired from the Navy in VA, where you have to register your firearms. I dislike paying state tax and snow, so I moved to sunny Florida.

Being a good, law abiding citizen, I called the Sheriff's Office and ask how I went about registering my firearms.

The Deputy who answed the phone said, "...you wanna do whut? We don't do that down heah"

God I love Florida!

Virginia doesn't require firearms registration.

For LovesGunsUT:
    Each of the military services and most military bases have policies regarding possession of privately owned firearms/weapons for individuals on their military reservations.

Depending on where you live, barracks, senior enlisted quarters, BOQ, family housing - various rules may be applied regarding whether you are permitted to retain your firearms in your quarters or are required to store those firearms in a base or unit armory. Even when permitted to keep your personal firearms in your on-base quarters, registration is frequently (almost universally) required.

Some local commanders have required their personnel residing off-post to register personally owned firearms, even if those firearms never enter the federal reservation.

Hope this clears up echo5tango's comment.

Mac
    Retired USN

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Virginia doesn't require firearms registration.
    Maybe they did back in the 80's, or it was a local (Virginia Beach / Princess Ann County) requirement.

MN does not register and explicitly says you can not.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Technically, Pennsylvania does not have gun registration, which is prohibited by law. But in fact, it does; it's just called something else: a handgun sales database - http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/v...p?A=11&Q=98332

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

I would think that with all those extra_$$$ charges

Quote Originally Posted by lscurrier View Post
    I live in the communist state of NewYorkistan.

Citizens of this state are neutered by the state and local governments and have no 2nd Amendment rights. With a handgun license we only have the counties permission to own and keep a handgun at our place of residence and we can take it to the range or out for hunting. The handguns must be registered at the county level with the police. We have a very specific handgun registration process:

a. Go to gun store and find gun you wish to buy and put sufficient deposit on it our pay for it in full and obtain: Manufacturer, Serial #, Caliber, and FFL Name

b. Go to police location (only one location in the county) to get a purchase permit where the police will complete the form with the information from STEP A. Note that the purchase permit is only good for 10 days. A generic purchase permit is supposed to be available so that you can go to a gun show and buy the handgun as you don't now the information in STEP A prior to going to the gun show. I have tried to obtain this type of permit 2 times and was denied both times.

c. Go back to gun store with purchase permit and complete paperwork to purchase the handgun.

d. Go back to the police location to have the handgun examined against the information on the purchase permit and have the handgun added to your handgun license. Note that the police charge $5 for any change to your license - change your employer ($5), change your phone # ($5), change your mailing address ($5), and $5 for each gun you add or remove to/from the license.

I can't wait to move to a real state where the citizens of the state have real rights.

Luke
    for gun registration, that New York would have a well equipped and maintained police force. Someone dials 911 and there's a 60 second response time.

Can't see myself moving there , seems the BG's have the advantage over the citizens. I've bought 2 pistols in less than 6 months here in TX and it's taken me around 15 minutes from cash to carry. The gun store owner told me that the background check or call cannot be filed by law.
    Last edited by airbornerangerboogie; February 20th, 2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by LovesGunsUT View Post
    E5Tango, can you clarify... does that mean that if you live on base, any military base you must register all guns?
    yes, i live on a military base and therefore must register my firearms. every base i've been on has had the same policy for those living on base. i've yet to be stationed somewhere where those living off base had to register their firearms unless they were bringing them on base (e.g. shooting on the base skeet/trap range).

i hope that clears it up

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links