5.11 Holster T-Shirts

This is a discussion on 5.11 Holster T-Shirts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone, this is my first post here. I just got my Illinois FOID card, will be starting a concealed carry class soon, and I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 5.11 Holster T-Shirts

5.11 Holster T-Shirts

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here. I just got my Illinois FOID card, will be starting a concealed carry class soon, and I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to carry.

I am in an office environment all day in meetings with clients and colleagues, in a suit and tie, sometimes without the suite coat. I canít afford to have anyone notice that Iím carrying. So Iím thinking I may have to go with an ankle holster, but Iím wondering if the 5.11 holster shirt might be a viable option. Because I canít be noticed carrying, I would be carrying a subcompact, most likely a Kahr P380.

So does anyone have any experience with the 5.11 holster t-shirt?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts about the Kahr P380 or alternatives, I'd be interested to hear them, because I haven't decided yet what I'm going to buy. Thanks!

Sponsor
    I've concealed a 5" 1911 on more than one occasion in a 5.11 holster T. It's a little warm for me as I don't normally wear an under shirt, but it works very well. I do use a small safety pin to "customize" the holster pocket for what ever pistol I am carrying.

A Kahr P380? Why not just pocket carry in a good wallet holster?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Have you tried a tuckable IWB holster?
    Ars longa vita brevis

VIP Member
    I'd look at the tuckable IWB's.....a lot faster and easier to get to your gun if you ever need it than an undershirt/holster thingy. Also, with a tiny gun, ankle or pocket carry works well too.
    sammeow likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Since I need to wear a tucked-in dress shirt, I don't think an IWB would give me the 100% concealment I need.

I am also considering pocket carry, I'll probably get a DeSantis, people seem to like those. I just need to see if it prints when I'm sitting down.

I hadn't heard about wallet holsters, I'll look into those, but at first glance they don't seem to be something I'm comfortable with since the trigger is open.

Sponsor
    Don't go with any holster that leaves the trigger exposed. I make a "wallet" style(actually it's convertible) pocket holster that's full coverage as do many other holster mfgs.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    I have a few of those T shirts. They work ok if you dress right. I wear them with a shirt that has snaps instead of buttons so I can "rip" open the shirt (Think superman, well, never mind). Otherwise it is too slow to present. Shirts can be found at Cabelas. Top 3 buttons are snaps. I use them for use with Kangaroo Carry as well.

My first suggestion is to pocket carry with a good holster that completely covers the trigger.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by oilcan850 View Post
    Since I need to wear a tucked-in dress shirt, I don't think an IWB would give me the 100% concealment I need.

I am also considering pocket carry, I'll probably get a DeSantis, people seem to like those. I just need to see if it prints when I'm sitting down.

I hadn't heard about wallet holsters, I'll look into those, but at first glance they don't seem to be something I'm comfortable with since the trigger is open.
    When wearing dress pants a pocket holster will make it look like you have a humongous wallet. If you care about looking neat, having a big square lump in your front pocket might be undesirable.

I was considering a Talon holster but went with a Recluse holster. I ended up using my plain old DeSantis Nemesis more because it's less lumpy, even though it betrays more of the gun shape.
    Ars longa vita brevis

Welcome aboard "OIL CAN". I've used the 5-11 tee shirt, and I'm very happy with it. Just a side note 5-11 also makes dress/sport shirts with a built in holster. Fay as an ankle holster, your secret wont remain a secret very long. The ankle holster makes a very pronounced bulge, and pant legs tend to get caught in the holster and gun showing your secret. Often just sitting down will reveal the secret, and forget about crossing your leg.

Another thing you want to consider is your choice of firearm. Based on the discription of your needs, I'd recomend a small lightweight revolver in the J frame size. Hammerless and with a small grip pattern.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. The best thing about this forum is a bunch of experienced and honest folks who are always willing to help.

you may want to consider thunderwear, or a belly-band.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    When I have to conceal in dress clothes I pocket carry or use a belly band worn at or below the belt line. Since I always have Two Snubs I do both. In your case a very small 380 in the pocket would be my thought. I don't like 380 auto but, you have to make choices sometimes.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    The ankle holster makes a very pronounced bulge, and pant legs tend to get caught in the holster and gun showing your secret. Often just sitting down will reveal the secret, and forget about crossing your leg.
    I've been using an ankle holster for a couple of years now without those problems. It might be an issue with "boot cut" legs, but it has been a non-issue with straight legs. And, hey, bell bottoms are coming back...

There are some ankle holsters that just wrap around and sit on top of your shoe; though some are quite expensive, they're not a good design. The kind with the calf strap that holds the holster up work much better. Also note that the "clocking" of the holster makes a big difference in comfort and concealability; if you're wearing it on the left leg, it should be closer to 5 o'clock than 3 o'clock, looking straight down.

I hated the 5.11 holster shirt I tried. It was itchy and didn't hold the gun in one position enough , IMO . Of course everyone has their own likes or dislikes, you may need to try several suggestions above to find what works well for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I bought a 5.11 holster shirt to carry my Glock G29 SF and spare magazine. I was at a grocery store and needed something that was at the back of a bottom shelf. I bent over from the waist to reach it. The Glock hit the Velcro and went through like a hot knife through butter. It hit my outer un-tucked shirt and slid out. I instinctively caught it about an inch off of the floor. I looked around and nobody seemed to notice or care. I put the Glock back in the holster and reminded myself to never bend over while wearing it. It is now just a tight warm expensive t-shirt.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I carry my Shield 40 in a Deepconceal.com Gen2 holster under a tucked in dress shirt every day. Not as warm as one of those shirts and cheaper. I am very happy with it.
    trptdaddy likes this.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

I wear the holster shirts and have converted all my dress shirts to snaps for easier access. I wear a suit and tie everyday. The shirts are warm in the summer so I only wear them a couple of days a week. I also use a smartcarry holster which sets below the belt line. If you have pleated slacks the gun is invisible.
    ccman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links