Change in Mississippi law - no permit for CC if in an enclosed container

This is a discussion on Change in Mississippi law - no permit for CC if in an enclosed container within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The guv signed an NRA-sponsored bill into law effective July 1, which will let Mississippians CC in a purse, briefcase or other fully enclosed satchel ...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 2 Post By hmaz1
  • 5 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 2 Post By hmaz1
  • 4 Post By lchamp
  • 3 Post By Old Sarge
  • 3 Post By CommonCents
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By Chief1297
  • 1 Post By Katana1
  • 1 Post By Compa49
  • 1 Post By WoodLark
  • 1 Post By Stetson
  • 1 Post By Grunnsetning
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: Change in Mississippi law - no permit for CC if in an enclosed container

Change in Mississippi law - no permit for CC if in an enclosed container

The guv signed an NRA-sponsored bill into law effective July 1, which will let Mississippians CC in a purse, briefcase or other fully enclosed satchel without a state-issued permit (or fingerprints or anything). But to carry my pocket, IWB, etc. weapon, I still need my permit. I heard it was coming, but to be honest I don't quite see the rationale for the different treatment.
    DingBat and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Seems to me to be an very confusing law- either require a permit, or don't.

One news article says "Supporters cast the bill as a matter of safety for women who want to carry a gun in a purse without having to get a license."
    DingBat and gatorbait51 like this.

I guess I'll have to buy a purse... Long gray beard, carrying a purse...think I'll be stealthy?

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I guess I'll have to buy a purse... Long gray beard, carrying a purse...think I'll be stealthy?
    Braids?
    lchamp, gatorbait51 and DingBat like this.

Distinguished Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    waist/fanny packs will be back in style, although they probably never went outta style in MS ;)

Hey, I'll settle for continuous improvement. Just like the left is patient and persistent in chipping away at our rights, we need to do the same for reversing their BS.
    DingBat, gatorbait51 and Ianthin like this.

well...

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Seems to me to be an very confusing law- either require a permit, or don't.
    I agree with this 110%....

Quote Originally Posted by hmaz1 View Post
    One news article says "Supporters cast the bill as a matter of safety for women who want to carry a gun in a purse without having to get a license."
    Though I am not so sure it's a good idea to actively encourage women to purse carry. Most don't understand the need for, nor utilize the (also expensive!) dedicated CC purses. Seems like this will make that mentality even more prevalent...

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    waist/fanny packs will be back in style, although they probably never went outta style in MS ;)

Hey, I'll settle for continuous improvement. Just like the left is patient and persistent in chipping away at our rights, we need to do the same for reversing their BS.
    I also agree with this 110%....

what a strange law.

I wonder if a fully enclosed holster such as the Sneaky Pete would qualify? but if that does, does my trusty cavalry holster then too? wut da hek?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

"First comes smiles. Then comes lies. Last is Gunfire."

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I think the term now is MURSE which some how makes it acceptable for a man to carry a purse...just sayin...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Isn't the carry of handguns in purses without a holster something we read about on the news now and then when they discharge and shoot someone, which mostly happens in Wal-Mart?

OK, so if I strap a pouch, bag or piece of Tupperware to my belt I should be good to go right? There has to be more to this that what I understand.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Over penetration may get you sued, under penetration may get you killed.

Firearms are tools. I'm not a caliber guy, nor am I a fan boy.

Hand guns are better for self defense, long guns are better for home defense.

Just another prime example of government at work. And another good reason I will NEVER go back to MS.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Is a "flap holster" (like WW2 1911 holster) a closed container? What about a Safe Packer?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

I wonder if a "Sneaky Pete" holster would apply here?

Sounds like carry law been over thought.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

We have a customer who was a running back for the Detroit Lions who has always had a fanny pack with his pistol in it. Pistol or not I really doubt anyone has ever commented on his fanny pack. He is LARGE.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The guv signed an NRA-sponsored bill into law effective July 1, which will let Mississippians CC in a purse, briefcase or other fully enclosed satchel without a state-issued permit (or fingerprints or anything). But to carry my pocket, IWB, etc. weapon, I still need my permit. I heard it was coming, but to be honest I don't quite see the rationale for the different treatment.
    Not sure the purpose for that. .... but not sure I would be excited about it, since I think it's a very bad idea to have a gun in a purse, etc. to begin with... that can be taken, etc.
    Mardet65 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links