Assault Weapons Bill

This is a discussion on Assault Weapons Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read the bill here , then write your Reps and Senators... This seems to go WAY beyond the 1992 bill. Michael...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons Bill

Angry US Congress: HR 1022 to Reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban

Read the bill here, then write your Reps and Senators...

This seems to go WAY beyond the 1992 bill.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

2. Remove Ads

if this passes do we get to keep our high-cap pistol mags that we have now under "pre-ban" status? or me we turn them in and get the neutered 10 round mags?

VIP Member
    Am I reading this right? They want to apply NFA transfer rules to semiautos?!?!?!?!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    What a world.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got something typed up for Congressman Goode, but the House email system is down until 9am est tomorrow. Figures.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Do contact your reps in oppisition of this . Howeaver IMHO this bill is a non issue , No one is going to get behind such a bill at least untill the next election. It is a " boilerplate " bill to retain/confirm credibility with the moon bat constituants and doners for a couple of liberal dems. That being said I do feel that i have been served notice ( by the last election results ) to get my house in order , and will spend my disposable income for the next couple of years accordingly . We most likely will see moderates , or even a bit of a return to conservitave representitaves , but then again what i am buying is a saveings account , it wont go down in value and if flameing libs do get inn well then i will have all i need and maby a couple extra.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Just keep up on the news - and communicate regularly with your
    elected representatives.

Vote.

Join the NRA.

Keep buying Guns.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    If this goes through it will tell me the NRA and the Republicans are useless and have turned against the America people.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO this bill is a non issue , No one is going to get behind such a bill at least untill the next election. It is a " boilerplate " bill to retain/confirm credibility with the moon bat constituants and doners for a couple of liberal dems. That being said I do feel that i have been served notice ( by the last election results ) to get my house in order , and will spend my disposable income for the next couple of years accordingly .

Last I read, I thought the number of gun-right supporting Democrats actually increased in the last election. Now that was right after the election, but I'm hoping it is correct. I have to agree that at this point, things will most likely hold status quo, but I do fear what will happen in '08
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

me
    I sent to my representative and my senators (I wanted to give them my opinion before a bill like this even pops up in the senate). Please allvoice our opinions and lets show our opposition to this.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
    Interesting. So they are saying that any firearm ever designed for use in the military or police forces will be unavailable for purchase by the general public... So... basically... all guns except for modern bolt-action rifles. Wonderful. Because the part about "firearm based on the design of" means that all it has to do is share a similar action or bolt design?

This has got my blood boiling. Glad I bought my AR today.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

me
    here is what I sent,
    Representative Altmire,

I ask that you would urge you to NOT support "H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes." I would ask that you look at America's true Homeland security force, the American people. This bill would restrict law-abiding citizens from owning certain type of guns because they are scary. These same types of guns are not inherently dangerous, however if these guns were taken out of the hands of the American public then they would be left for the criminals who will have them whether on not there is a law against having these type of guns.

I once again urge you to vote against any bill that would restrict my right to keep and bear arms. Some may suggest that this right does not pertain to all weapons but history shows us that the revolutionary war was won with the best technology of the time, muskets. Would the congress ban the use of word processors or computers and allow us only to use the antiquated technology of a typewriter, certainly not. I ask that who respect the second amendment as we have the first and not restrict my right to own the best firearms I can purchase with my hard-earned money.

Respectfully,
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    I have to agree that at this point, things will most likely hold status quo, but I do fear what will happen in '08
    Oh yeah... '08.... Makes ya want to shop for weps in the newspaper classifieds!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    Oh yeah... '08.... Makes ya want to shop for weps in the newspaper classifieds!

Michael
    In MI, I have to register all hand gun purchases with my local sheriff... in the last two months, I've been there enough to be on a first name basis with the lady that handles the registration. The AR is going on lay-away tomorrow. I don't even know if I really want one, but I sure don't want a government that will tell me I can't have one.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
    this goes 100 percent against u.s. v miller (1939) ... not that that means anything to the gun-grabbing loons.

i too believe this will not go anywhere, for now. let a democrat into the blanco casa come 2009 and something like this may very well pass.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links