The downside of cross draw?

This is a discussion on The downside of cross draw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My early days with revo I used a cross draw rig, and it suited just great. I like the whole deal, best of any if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The downside of cross draw?

Assistant Administrator

The downside of cross draw?

My early days with revo I used a cross draw rig, and it suited just great. I like the whole deal, best of any if truth known.

However - the downside for me was not being able to use this configuration for competition and at some ranges - not that surprising really looking at safety aspects.

I would go back to that if I could use same for IDPA etc - but because I cannot practice full time with it, take the compromize route and stick with strong side 3.30 or so.

Last thing I want to do is change carry habit - even tho in truck cross draw would be fine - just seems tempting providence to ever change from the usual.

So - cross draw fans - how do you circumvent this possible problem? If at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

i like cross draw (carry). it's not my strong side when holstered so my everyday 'handled' things like my wallet and cell phone and keys (strong side and most often used) can easily see play without my weapon seeing the light. i also have the habit of keeping my arms close to me (not flailing) so i feel pretty good about getting my hand on the grip not letting know I'm going to draw until I'm really going to.

however, my folder still stays on my strong side because hey, it's just not a knife, it's a letter opener as well. ;)

but... i do agree. i don't compete but I've seen quite a few competition shooters and they didn't cross draw. even those who did during 'carry' they didn't cross draw during competition (mostly seen this in TN). i think it's a combination of the fast draw and going through everyday life IMHO.
    Last edited by downrange; February 22nd, 2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: forgot something
    What's this button do?

I saw a tip on this board about using the crossdraw while in the vehicle. I tried it, and found it a lot more friendly, but that is the only time I carry my gun like that. The days where I know I'll be in the car a lot, I wear an IWB for a crossdraw, otherwise, I still use a tuckable at about 4:00. So, I haven't run into the same problem.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd add a cross draw for driving - if it wasn't for having ''clutter'' where a rig would go!!! Instance Surefire and Multi-tool!!!

Hard to get everything on one belt LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Everytime I've tried to play with crossdraw I end up sweeping myself or the area where someone else could be. It just doesn't work well for me. But, I do believe it can be fast, easily concealed, and effective.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Crossdraw...

if ever...in the vehicle (on long trips)...otherwise just strong side IWB.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

UP SIDE: More comfortable when sitting in the car

DOWN SIDE: Harder to conceal
    Easier for an opponent to disarm you
    You "sweep" everybody and everything in a 45 degree arc

To me the Cross Draw is a specialty rig for limited application, like the Shoulder Holster. It has it's place, but NOT where I want my Primary 24/7.

Biker

i would have to agree cross draw is IDEAL for carrying in the car, but other than that it could be considered a safety hazard cause you could end up flagging a LOT of people. If that is your cup of tea.....go with it =O)

You can train yourself not to sweep, like most things it comes to training. As with all drawstrokes there are safety concerns. This is what I've been taught, however since xdraw carry is so rare there arent too many instructors or any that I know of that cover xdraw carry in detail.

For sitting: Draw the gun and keep the muzzle pointed downward while moving the gun parallel along your leg and finally bring your muzzle upward toward your target.

Sorry P95, I cant answer your question. I dont compete in competitions because of the no-xdraw regs and another gripes.

When I first started shooting a pistol I preferred cross draw. You can do it without sweeping a crowd when done correctly. But these days I'm more in the strong side group. It conceals better for me. In my car on more than a short drive I carry cross draw on my seat belt with my shirt over it. I just transfer back to IWB holster when leaving the vahicle.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Cross draw is fine way to carry the gun but the only thing I don't like it means having a closed cover garment. I run hot and that is not a great solution for me. My father-in-law love it and uses it all the time.

I use Appendix IWB (1 o'clock)holster more when driving with good success and off body in the car/truck. It is also much faster to draw from my body type.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I think it's a great form of carry, but not one I employ very frequently. It not being allowed in IPDA is part of the reason I don't do IPDA. While the restrictions might be there for safety reasons, it turns me off to the whole thing.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Only when I'm hunting, keeps the shotgun or rifle
    from hitting the handgun when I present.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    It is interesting that the very same things can be said for shoulder holster carry, either horizontal or vertical carry. The shoulder holster conceals deeper, but still has the disadvantages and advantages of xdraw. It does remove the gun from a belt, in fact no belt is even needed, although the gun will swing a bit without being attached to the belt.

My big concern with strong side carry is access, or lack there of, when seated, especially in a vehicle. Another consideration would be the ankle carry. Of course it's not compatible with shorts, but it is discretely and readily accessible in a vehicle or while seated at a table.

I think that the biggest advantage of cross draw is that is what Doc Holliday used in the movie Tombstone...

I'm your huckleberry!

Seriously, I think the regs against cross draw are a bit over the top. I've heard of the safety reports about it but never once heard directly of an accident with it.

I don't use it because it's too easy to uncover but it is generally as fast as strong side if you practice it.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links