How many random people around you carry concealed?

This is a discussion on How many random people around you carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering how many people statistically you think are carrying at any given time (like 1 in 10, 5 in 10, etc). I don't tell ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: How many random people around you carry concealed?

How many random people around you carry concealed?

Just wondering how many people statistically you think are carrying at any given time (like 1 in 10, 5 in 10, etc). I don't tell many people even those close to me that I carry, and I'm wondering how many others might do the same. Knowing people are CCW around me makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
    willhsteele likes this.

Well I live in AZ so I assume most any one not with a CA license plate is armed
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

According to my Sheriff, more than most think, but still not enough to make me warm and fuzzy inside.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

In Florida 1 in 4 people have a concealed carry permit. Not sure how many people actually carry a firearm though.

In most any state, I suppose the best guide a person can have is the state stats on issued and active CHL's, as a percentage of the population. Adjusted for any minor regional variations, of course. Hard to know, for certain.

In some places I've been, state CHL's were such a puny percentage of the population it was a good bet that only a couple nearby across a whole day of interactions would be likely to have been carrying. In other places, it's a good bet solid double digits were, perhaps even half (which wouldn't surprise me, in those spots).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Back in the day a friend who was into firearms told me that he could easily tell who was armed and he said almost every male over the age of 20 and under 60. This was many years ago and he had a knack for detecting CC. When we go to the gun show here the parking lot is packed to overflowing and there's a steady stream of people coming and going. So I'd guess 1 in 5 or more (mid-Atlantic region).

Why anyone tries to do muggings or HI around here, I have no idea. They're really risking a lot.
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.)

Hard to say, really. I just assume everyone around me is armed. Legally or otherwise.
    ks kid, msgt/ret, Sister and 2 others like this.

Lead Moderator
    The last stats for my county is a population of 22,300 residents and I believe there are about 410 ccw permits issued.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Course if your in NY city/NJ/HI and a few others it is real easy the answer is zero non cops good guys have a gun ...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Back in the day a friend who was into firearms told me that he could easily tell who was armed and he said almost every male over the age of 20 and under 60. This was many years ago and he had a knack for detecting CC. When we go to the gun show here the parking lot is packed to overflowing and there's a steady stream of people coming and going. So I'd guess 1 in 5 or more (mid-Atlantic region).

Why anyone tries to do muggings or HI around here, I have no idea. They're really risking a lot.
    I thought the Mid-Atlantic states were Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Washington DC, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. I'm surprised that that region has more CC than Texas.

If my math is correct it is approximately one in twenty here in PA.
    boddah likes this.

I assume everyone around me is armed. After July 1, no permit to carry, so I will still assume all are armed.

I started a thread after Easter in which I stated that I was unsure to mention that I was carrying at the family gathering as I thought I would surely be the only one. The subject of guns came up and imagine my surprise when I found out 12 of the 18 family members there were packing heat. It made me warm and fuzzy, plus the conversation got much better!
    Last edited by Carson256; April 25th, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Bark'n, boddah, NONAME762 and 1 others like this.

In the early 90's, I was stopped for speeding, and ask the officer how many drivers had guns within reach driving along a main highway at 9 am here in metro Kansas City. Yep, it was a topic at work. His estimate was 70 percent. Today that is perfectly legal without permit, don't remember what the law was then. But it does fell good to be back in the Midwest.

I work in retail, so I frequently get a glance inside someone's wallet when they're getting a credit card out.

I've seen 9 customers with their PCW in a staggered card setup in their wallet. Not sure if that's the right term for card placement, but it offsets the cards from eachother, so looking at the cards, you know what each CC is.

None of them have I ever visually noticed carrying.

The 3 customer's I've seen carrying at work, 2 I know are cops, and were off duty. My store supplies dog food to the local departments k9 units, so I know for sure they are cops.

The other customer I saw carrying had a holster sticking 2 inches out from the bottom of his sweatshirt. If you carry OWB in winter, a tan holster against blue jeans sticks out bad.

One thing I like to do with a buddy of mine is see if he can guess what I'm carrying, and where. He carries also, and even though he knows what setups I have, can never get it correct.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links