Texas CHP Holder Steps In / Concealed Carry Failure?

This is a discussion on Texas CHP Holder Steps In / Concealed Carry Failure? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,148645,00.html TYLER, Texas — A man with an AK-47 assault rifle opened fire in a historic town square Thursday, killing his ex-wife and a bystander ...

Thread: Texas CHP Holder Steps In / Concealed Carry Failure?

Concealed Carry Failure?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,148645,00.html

TYLER, Texas — A man with an AK-47 assault rifle opened fire in a historic town square Thursday, killing his ex-wife and a bystander in a rampage prompted by a child support dispute. The gunman was later killed.
    The victims were identified as ex-wife Maribel Estrada, 41, and Mark Wilson, 52, a bystander with a concealed weapons permit who had tried to help.
    I wanted to post this in the Concealed Carry Success area, but it wasn't that successful. Does anybody closer to the scene know any more about Mr. Wilson's actions? He did what he could and I think any of us would have drawn in the same situation, but is there anything that we can learn from this?

It really sucks when the good guy goes down.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDaddy777
    Does anybody closer to the scene know any more about Mr. Wilson's actions? He did what he could and I think any of us would have drawn in the same situation, but is there anything that we can learn from this?

It really sucks when the good guy goes down.
    I haven't read anything else (with any more information) about this story, but it does sound as if the good guy lost in this one. Personally I would not take on a BG that had a rifle unless I was in a hardened cover position.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    Here is what I have been able to locate on this using Google News.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    I like that little rendering of a gun they had on that link (below)
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

It's my understanding his rounds were on target but stopped by the two layers of ballistic armor. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

An unmitigated tragedy in any event. RIP Mr. Wilson.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Texas CHP Holder steps in

2/24/05-Tyler
    Three Killed, Including Gunman In Smith County Courthouse Shoot-out In Tyler
    Feb 24, 2005, 09:41 PM PST

Tyler Police have confirmed two people outside the Smith County Courthouse have been killed after dozens of shots were fired starting just before 1:30p.m.

The two killed at the courthouse have now been identified: Maribel Estrada, the estranged wife of the alleged shooter, David Hernandez Arroyo, and citizen Mark Wilson. Wilson is licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fired several shots at Arroyo. Arroyo, however, was wearing a bulletproof vest.

Three other people were injured in the shooting. Those have been identified as a Tyler Police Detective, Smith County Sheriff's Deputy and Arroyo's son.

The Arroyos were at the courthouse for a child support hearing said Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle.

Unidentified Witness: "We heard loud pops over there and we thought it sounded like firecrackers. And then we noticed the man on the street with a rifle and he was shooting at the policeman over at the courthouse and anyone who came down the front court steps"

According to witnesses, the gunman fired numerous shots from the street toward the courthouse. Several law officers returned fire. It was a shoot-out that lasted several minutes. Windows shattered at businesses around the courthouse as bullets flew in many directions.

KLTV 7 photojournalist Chris Howell and reporter Julie Tam were in Judge Cynthia Kent's courtroom when a gunshot was heard. Moments later, two women ran into the courtroom screaming. The minutes that ensued had numerous officers with guns drawn, police shielded by vehicles with large assault weapons, and citizens, and even Judge Kent herself, crouched down to stay out of the line of fire.

The suspect then fled the downtown area and headed north. Police gave chase and caught the suspect on Highway 271 North. David Hernandez Arroyo fired shots at officers during the pursuit, Police Chief Gary Swindle said. Arroyo was then shot and killed by police.

Those wounded are Arroyo's son, 22 year old David Arroyo, Jr. He was shot in the leg and was in surgery Thursday evening. Also, Smith County Deputy 28-year-old Sherman Dollison is in critical condition, and also was in surgery. Tyler Police Detective Marvin Sewell is in good condition. Tyler Police Officer Clay Parrot was treated and released.

All of the shooting victims have been taken to ETMC in Tyler.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Good try, Mr Wilson, but as Custer found out the hard way, the good guy doesn't always win. I hope he is properly honored as a man who stood up for something larger than himself. Amen.
    Last edited by armoredman; February 25th, 2005 at 10:39 AM.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

RIP Mr Wilson, a very brave man! Gordan Liddy has often said shoot for the head, they are wearing armor. He was refering to those coming through the front door at you.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Head, or lower torso, to break the pelvis and cut the femoral artery. Slower effect, but it should get his attention, and allow for a more stable shot at his head, which should be on the pavement immediately after. or, like Betty said on another thread bearing on this, use a nice cheap Mosin M44 carbine, and carve through that flak jacket like a hot knife through butter.....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Links