RIP Mr Wilson (TX CHP Does good)

This is a discussion on RIP Mr Wilson (TX CHP Does good) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tx CHP holder steps in 2/24/05-Tyler Three Killed, Including Gunman In Smith County Courthouse Shoot-out In Tyler Feb 24, 2005, 09:41 PM PST Tyler Police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tx CHP holder steps in

2/24/05-Tyler
    Three Killed, Including Gunman In Smith County Courthouse Shoot-out In Tyler
    Feb 24, 2005, 09:41 PM PST

Tyler Police have confirmed two people outside the Smith County Courthouse have been killed after dozens of shots were fired starting just before 1:30p.m.

The two killed at the courthouse have now been identified: Maribel Estrada, the estranged wife of the alleged shooter, David Hernandez Arroyo, and citizen Mark Wilson. Wilson is licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fired several shots at Arroyo. Arroyo, however, was wearing a bulletproof vest.

Three other people were injured in the shooting. Those have been identified as a Tyler Police Detective, Smith County Sheriff's Deputy and Arroyo's son.

The Arroyos were at the courthouse for a child support hearing said Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle.

Unidentified Witness: "We heard loud pops over there and we thought it sounded like firecrackers. And then we noticed the man on the street with a rifle and he was shooting at the policeman over at the courthouse and anyone who came down the front court steps"

According to witnesses, the gunman fired numerous shots from the street toward the courthouse. Several law officers returned fire. It was a shoot-out that lasted several minutes. Windows shattered at businesses around the courthouse as bullets flew in many directions.

KLTV 7 photojournalist Chris Howell and reporter Julie Tam were in Judge Cynthia Kent's courtroom when a gunshot was heard. Moments later, two women ran into the courtroom screaming. The minutes that ensued had numerous officers with guns drawn, police shielded by vehicles with large assault weapons, and citizens, and even Judge Kent herself, crouched down to stay out of the line of fire.

The suspect then fled the downtown area and headed north. Police gave chase and caught the suspect on Highway 271 North. David Hernandez Arroyo fired shots at officers during the pursuit, Police Chief Gary Swindle said. Arroyo was then shot and killed by police.

Those wounded are Arroyo's son, 22 year old David Arroyo, Jr. He was shot in the leg and was in surgery Thursday evening. Also, Smith County Deputy 28-year-old Sherman Dollison is in critical condition, and also was in surgery. Tyler Police Detective Marvin Sewell is in good condition. Tyler Police Officer Clay Parrot was treated and released.

All of the shooting victims have been taken to ETMC in Tyler.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Tragic story featuring a bona fide American hero. Rest in Peace Mr. Wilson.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

JT
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Here's another good article about Mr Wilson.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...0990462.htm?1c

Samaritan saved life of gunman's son, police say

By Max B. Baker and Bill Hanna

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITERS

TYLER - Mark Wilson, the good Samaritan credited with saving another man's life by jumping into the middle of a gunbattle on Tyler's downtown square, was known for taking life head-on.

Friends weren't surprised to hear that the 52-year-old factory employee sacrificed his own life by confronting a gunman firing an AK-47 assault rifle.

"He is the type of person who would grab his gun and go," said Lewis George of Dallas, Wilson's former brother-in-law and best friend for 30 years. "If it was me, I would have been running the other way.

"Mark, he took life head-on."

Wilson was shot several times by David Hernandez Arroyo Sr. during a deadly shooting spree outside the Smith County Courthouse. Arroyo, wearing body armor and armed with a high-powered assault rifle, also killed his ex-wife and wounded his 23-year-old son and three law officers.

Wilson, who lived in a loft apartment on the square, had apparently just returned home after having lunch with a friend when he saw Arroyo walking down the street, shooting people, friends said.

Wilson, who had owned a gun range in Tyler, went to the street and confronted Arroyo with a handgun.

One eyewitness said they traded shots, initially missing each other until Arroyo hit Wilson.

"The gunman walked up to Wilson and shot him while he was on the ground," Tyler Morning Telegraph Publisher Nelson Clyde III is quoted as saying in today's editions of the newspaper. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was sickening."

Arroyo was wearing a military flak jacket and a bulletproof vest. But by distracting Arroyo, police said, Wilson prevented him from fatally shooting his son, David Hernandez Arroyo Jr.

"Based on what we can tell, Mr. Wilson may have saved [the younger] Arroyo's life," Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle said.

Lorraine Childress, a sales assistant for Merrill Lynch, watched the shootout from her 16th-floor office overlooking downtown Tyler.

"We are so proud of our friend," Childress said later. "We know Mark saved this young man's life by doing what he did."

Word of Wilson's actions quickly spread through this community of 86,000 about 125 miles east of Fort Worth, and no one seemed surprised that he had jumped into the middle of the shootout.

Just outside the loft where Wilson lived, police cordoned off Wilson's white Dodge pickup. Behind the truck, Wilson's prized Porsche 911 was covered by a tarp.

"Ever since he moved into those lofts eight years ago, he's been on the lookout down on the square," said Deborah O'Sullivan, whose husband, John, is the landlord of the lofts where Wilson lived.

"With his knowledge of weapons, he would have immediately known it was gunfire and taken action. That's just Mark. He was always looking out for others."

George said Wilson was a lifelong bachelor and a Navy veteran who moved to Tyler more than a decade ago.

"He is one of the nicest, sweetest guys I've ever known," George said.

Wilson had several jobs in Tyler, working as a copier salesman, a gun range owner and a racquetball coach at a local gym, friends said.

About three years ago, Wilson went to work at Sealtite, a company that manufactures fasteners for pre-engineered buildings, said Joedy Hargis, vice president of the company.

Wilson started out as a carpenter refurbishing and building new office space, but his intensity and intelligence impressed his bosses so much that they eventually made him an assistant to the operations manager, Hargis said.

"Man, I don't know what we ever did without the guy," he said.

Wilson also was influential in reviving the Tyler Azalea 10-kilometer run several years ago, said George, who organizes such events.

George said the April 9 race will be dedicated to Wilson, and he is asking that donations be made in Wilson's honor to The Children's Village, a charity that helps abandoned and abused children.

"Mark never would have done this any other way. It would not have ever flickered across his mind not to do it," he said.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Wow. It is truly sad when the good guys die. It is encouraging, however, to know there are good samaritans who are willing to risk their own lives to help those in need. I recently watched some store footage where an innocent man was beaten on front of bystanders who watched and did nothing. And we know what happened to Kitty Genovese.

And some people call me nuts for carrying a Mosin M44 in my vehicle. Let's see if a "bulletproof" vest can withstand 7.62 x 54R.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My Lord... I think I actually have been there even it's a hazy memory.

This is terrible on many fronts. First of all we lost someone we shouldn't have lost.

Second of all notice the media coverage's slant. They're going to pass this off as a reason to ban body armor and "high powered assault rifles", and then go after the CHL laws, pointing out that in this case the armed citizen didn't stop the aggressor, and if he hadn't been armed he wouldn't have even tried.

The rationale will be "We have to ban personal body armor and assault rifles so this doesn't happen again, and then repeal the concealed handgun license legislation in order to save the lives of license holders..."

Yes that's bull crap but that's how these people think.

So not only have we lost one, and that's bad enough, we're going to suffer even more for it. They're going to make a mockery of this man's sacrifice and everything he stood for.

God speed Mr. Wilson. This is one Texan who's not going to forget the difference you made.

JT
    I don’t think we are going to see backlash against CHLs in this one. The police have given Mr. Wilson a lot of credit, so that helps take away the gun grabbers hype. We will see more about “Assault Weapons”. The first local news broadcasts, were emphasizing "assault weapon” when they spoke of it. Then when they got more details, that it was an “AK-47”, they really over emphasized the word. The reporters eyes even grew huge as she said it.

Mr. Wilson was a brave man to face down a person who had kill them all in mind. He went above and beyond the call of duty to help out. RIP Mr. Wilson, you are a brave person to be honered.
    -------
    To echo part of what Euclidian said about the news reporting and blowing up nasty gun stuff. Here is a sentance or two from the reporter and note the use of "large assault weapons".
    (copied from article)
    KLTV 7 photojournalist Chris Howell and reporter Julie Tam were in Judge Cynthia Kent's courtroom when a gunshot was heard. Moments later, two women ran into the courtroom screaming. The minutes that ensued had numerous officers with guns drawn, police shielded by vehicles with large assault weapons, and citizens, and even Judge Kent herself, crouched down to stay out of the line of fire.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Betty

And some people call me nuts for carrying a Mosin M44 in my vehicle. Let's see if a "bulletproof" vest can withstand 7.62 x 54R.
    A little Czech Silvertip to "let the air out"? Sounds good to me.....
    RIP, hero.
    Oh, and roast in hades, you (censored),(censored), Arroyo....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Exclamation

I was discussing this with a friend at work who has relatives living in Tyler. Evidently the media has jumped all over "AK-47" when it was not (according to friend) he didn't know exactly what "clone" it was but didn't even sound like an AK...he and his brothers definitely know that sound up front and personal. Evidently Mark Wilson approached Arroya from his backside, since Arroya was at that point going after his son. Wilson yelled at Arroya, and when he turned, Wilson began shooting. The media claims several missed shots, but it appears Wilson made several hits at the chest/midsection, and evidently didn't aim for the head. Arroya returned fire and we know the results.
    My heart goes out to the friends and family of Mr. Wilson. But, he made an obviously deadly mistake. He went after a BG armed with a rifle, at a distance (approx 50yds), and he did not seek any cover/barrier from which to engage with his handgun. As admirable as his intentions were, bottom line is he's dead, and shouldn't be. I don't know whether he (Wilson) was aware of the body armor, but I tend to think that perhaps he wasn't, until too late.

If only more people on this planet were like Mr. Wilson, not in his death, but in what he tried to accomplish those last few minutes of his life.

Lead Moderator

Unhappy

Too bad someone trying to help ended up dead. Best for us to learn from others mistakes though. Perhaps training for 2 taps to the center mass followed by 1 to the head would have helped better. Also hard cover if avalible . No fault to Mr. Wilson, he attempted to help and lost. May he RIP.

JT
    Train using a Modified Mozambique Drill.

Well for what it's worth I have meditated on this and found the positives in it. One, I realized the importance of training more, and two, I am rethinking what I am and am not willing to carry.

I have to say as a result of this story, I'm trying real hard to adapt to a full size gun for carry. It's going to take a lot more work to consistenly do a correct Mozambique drill with my 642 at a range beyond just a few yards. I can do it reliably with a full size pistol, but the snubby's just a hard sell.

Center of Mass is easy enough, but I seriously question my ability to nail a head shot under combat conditions at a distance greater than 5 yards with such a small gun. A piece of paper doesn't move but a real crackhead does.

Then again your typical crackhead won't be wearing body armor either. This just goes to show you that you just never know.

Of course eventually I'll get better, but in the meantime it's good to explore other options with the guns I already have.

I think next time I hit the range I'm taking a couple hundred rounds of .38 and working with my full size revolver on the Mozambique drill some more, about 10-20 times maybe, and then I'll see if I can transfer it to my snubnose and do that about 20 times. Not that I can actually do a real Mozambique drill at a public range due to restrictions on rapid fire, but working on the shot placement is what's key. Learn to put it where you need it to go and speed will follow.

I once heard a preacher lament "Why does it take a death before people begin to realize what's important?"

Train, get better, hope for the best, and look for the silver lining of every dark cloud.

Good constructive thoughts Euclidean- if you can setup targets on an outdoor range it will help with your drills. I built 2 target stands and my friend has 2, we staple targets to a piece of cardboard on the stand. The first stand is set at about 10feet, the next 3 feet to its right and back 3 feet. We set maybe 3 targets up this way. I don't know if its the offset or our eyes trying to focus on the target but it does create problems for the shooter at first. Your shots on the second target may be left and down and the far target gives the shooter other problems. We start out shooting 2 rounds to each target and mix when to do a head shot. It seems to help me improve and its a cheap system. Hope this helps with your training.
    Mr. Wilson, a brave man gave his all and I bet many shooters like myself are running the scene and asking ourselves questions.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links