My AIWB Concerns and Solution

This is a discussion on My AIWB Concerns and Solution within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about changing my IWB with Glock 23 at 4-5 o’clock position to AIWB. The motivation of this change is faster access ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My AIWB Concerns and Solution

My AIWB Concerns and Solution

I have been thinking about changing my IWB with Glock 23 at 4-5 o’clock position to AIWB. The motivation of this change is faster access to the firearm and less opportunity for fumbling with various over garments (T-shirt, button shirts, zippered and button shirts...etc.). However, my AIWB concern is always that I am breaking one of the four safety rules by constantly muzzling myself. It is similar to cross draw and shoulder holster carry. Of course, the logic is as long as the trigger guard is fully covered, and finer off the trigger, the gun will not go off. However, many ND happens when holstering and unholstering the gun. Thus for longest time, I have not change my carry method despite the availability of many fine micro single-stack 9mm guns (Kahr CM9, Ruger LC9, Sig P290, SW M&P Shield, Springfield XDS9 and Glock 43 just to name a few).

Few weeks ago, I discovered that Springfield XDS (9mm and 45acp) is one of these micro gun has a grip safety. All the sudden, I found the solution to my AIWB dilemma. Although it still break one of the safety rule, when trained with using thumb to push on the back of the slide (below the rear sights), one can safely holstering the firearm without engage the grip safety. Thus, another layer of precaution added. Same is true when I muzzle myself while seated.

For me, this added safety feature, gave me a piece of mind and pushed me over to the AIWB method. I want to share my discovery and hopefully a few people will find this to be useful. As for the Springfield XDS9, it is very accurate, slim and compact. I have had some initial FEF and light strike problems (it is not a Glock), but from what I read on XDS Forum, it is a new gun and needs some break in period (again, it is not a Glock). I am in the process changing out the factory sights to Trijicon HD night sights and adding a Talon Grips. Once these improvements are done, I will put at least 500 rounds through it without any problems before I begin to carry it. In the meanwhile, I will still use IWB carry with my trusted G23.
    Last edited by BCGlocker; May 4th, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
    gatorbait51 and willhsteele like this.

I've been carrying AIWB for little over two years....now I am trying out 3:00 with a Kydex N82 holster. (Yes I read the posts yesterday and the concerns over the grip and twist). I want to experiment (at least till I shed some pounds). I still really love the 3speedholster, but it's nice to have optipns
    Last edited by Kennydale; May 4th, 2015 at 01:39 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Sounds like you have worked it out to your safety and satifaction.

I tried AIWB with a 4' N frame.. It wasn't pretty...
    OD* likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Okay, you say you are muzzling yourself with a holstered weapon in AIWB, you are doing the same thing when you stand up carrying at the 3 or 4 o'clock position( your butt cheek, or thigh). So in reality you are not breaking any of the 4 safety rules because your weapon is holstered.

That being said, once you are comfortable with that manner of carry, you will not worry about weapon you carry. The grip safety does not afford you much if your trigger discipline is poor.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I carry AIWB regularly. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard, and everyone will be happy.
    Orangeman likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Senior Member Array VodoundaVinci's Avatar
    Unless a foreign object like a jacket drawstring or whatever gets in the trigger guard and then all the trigger discipline in the world won't help me....just sayin'.

I carry Appendix as well and it took me a long time and a lot of training to be comfortable/confident with a Glock AIWB. Until I gained that confidence (my trigger discipline is not in question - it's all the "other" stuff that can pull the trigger that worried me.) I primarily carried (and still do) my Px4 SC and when holstering the gun the decocker was down rendering the gun basically inert. After training I lost my fear of an ND by understanding that I needed to remove any possible obstructions like drawstrings and such and master my trigger discipline and holster the gun slowly while looking at the holster.

Especially when carrying Appendix, there are few reasons to holster quickly while not looking at the holster. In RL or during training. Appendix carry is my Way but it makes some very insistent demands on our awareness and trigger discipline as well as our dress habits - it forces us to be very aware and focused in a world that encourages distractions. Not for everyone....

That said the XD-S and it's safety are an excellent choice. Had I not mastered my Glocks for Appendix or if I ever had any doubts the XD-S was my second choice behind my Px4 SC for Appendix.

VooDoo

If you have a Glock checkout the Raven Eidolon. Just got one for my Glock 19 and love it'
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by VodoundaVinci View Post
    Unless a foreign object like a jacket drawstring or whatever gets in the trigger guard and then all the trigger discipline in the world won't help me....just sayin'.

I carry Appendix as well and it took me a long time and a lot of training to be comfortable/confident with a Glock AIWB. Until I gained that confidence (my trigger discipline is not in question - it's all the "other" stuff that can pull the trigger that worried me.) I primarily carried (and still do) my Px4 SC and when holstering the gun the decocker was down rendering the gun basically inert. After training I lost my fear of an ND by understanding that I needed to remove any possible obstructions like drawstrings and such and master my trigger discipline and holster the gun slowly while looking at the holster.

Especially when carrying Appendix, there are few reasons to holster quickly while not looking at the holster. In RL or during training. Appendix carry is my Way but it makes some very insistent demands on our awareness and trigger discipline as well as our dress habits - it forces us to be very aware and focused in a world that encourages distractions. Not for everyone....

That said the XD-S and it's safety are an excellent choice. Had I not mastered my Glocks for Appendix or if I ever had any doubts the XD-S was my second choice behind my Px4 SC for Appendix.

VooDoo
    VooDoo, you are spot on. My finger discipline is absolute; largely due to 20+ years of stringent IPSC and IDPA safety rules. However, there is always a chance something foreign get caught in the trigger guard. Remember the AD caused by worn holster, Man's Leather Holster Causes Accidental Discharge

I just desire one more layer of safety with no downside.

I have been experimenting aiwb with my Glock 27, and found that I prefer to remove the holster, insert the gun and then put the holster and gun into position. That way I know nothing will get caught up in the trigger area. I use a kydex clip style holster that is easy to remove and replace.
    BCGlocker and GentlemanJim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by reptyls View Post
    I have been experimenting aiwb with my Glock 27, and found that I prefer to remove the holster, insert the gun and then put the holster and gun into position. That way I know nothing will get caught up in the trigger area. I use a kydex clip style holster that is easy to remove and replace.
    This is a perfect viable solution for EDC. However, it is not practical when live fire or dry practice.
    GentlemanJim likes this.

I do the same except I use a Trigger Guard type holster such as the MIC , Vanguard 11 or the Guardian from Aegis Armory.
    I have all of them and they work better for me than any AIWB I have tried.
    I use just the lanyard on all of then after trying then along with a Clip Draw and decided I didn't need the Clip Draw.
    It took several tries to get the lanyard the length for ride height I wanted and where the holster came off as it cleared my belt and moved forward a small amount.
    Easy to replace in the pants after replacing the trigger guard so you are never sweeping your self without the trigger covered.
    Has a small amount of movement to conform to any movement of your body even sitting or driving with total comfort

Another benefit is that I don't need a larger size in clothing or a special gun belt. Any halfway decent belt works great.

I carry aiwb or pocket because of a bad shoulder. My solution to this 'accidental discharge' issue is to carry double action revolvers and autos with an external hammer. Putting your thumb on the hammer as you holster is a good solution for me. It's not that I don't trust my finger discipline, but I am a human being and therefor will make mistakes. This adds another layer of safety while reholstering. IMHO.
    forester58 likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I AIWB carried my G26 for three years. I had a NY1 trigger spring on it, and always slowly re-holstered while looking down, but the whole striker fired gun carried that way always kind of spooked me. My solution was a hammer fired CZ. I can ride the hammer with my thumb while both drawing and holstering. Makes me feel better about the whole deal, plus I shoot my CZ's better than my Glock to boot.
    GentlemanJim and SWIll like this.
    Need a cartoon, sketch or tattoo design? I'm your man! Check out my website and Facebook art page:

http://nealg13.wix.com/art
    https://www.facebook.com/nealgarvinillustration

The 4 rules of handgun safety apply to handling a gun. If it's in a good holster it won't go off. I carry both an xds and a g19 aiwb. I was pretty leery about carrying appendix so I set out to see if I could cause a misfire when reholstering. I put in some snap caps and tried to get it caught every which way on my clothing, holster etc. I was unable to get it to go off. Realistically there just wasn't a way my normal attire could get caught in the handguards and cause an ad. Even still I never get in a hurry to reholster and ensure there's nothing in the way. Start carrying around the house unloaded, then with a mag and progress until you're carrying one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGlocker View Post
    This is a perfect viable solution for EDC. However, it is not practical when live fire or dry practice.
    Reholstering shouldn't ever be an issue. When you've reached the point of holstering your weapon, it's all over, so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Sara Lou
    troedw, Gviz, denclaste and 1 others like this.
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links