Helping Loved Ones Getting Started

This is a discussion on Helping Loved Ones Getting Started within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son and daughter-in-law are great, hard-working people that have some need of self-protection the same as all people but more so since they both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Helping Loved Ones Getting Started

My son and daughter-in-law are great, hard-working people that have some need of self-protection the same as all people but more so since they both work odd hours and are home alone frequently. I am one of the Boomers working past retirement so I can afford things I could not afford at their age - Rugers, Springfields, SIGs, etc. So I can help them get started without undue effort on my part. I want to help them but I also do not want to overwhelm and discourage them with too much data about the legal, equipment, and training complexities of firearms ownership right at the start. So I want to start them in a step by step approach. They currently have pepper spray, very bright flashlights with strobe functions, and an alert yappy dog. They are interested but constrained by the cost and the perceived unknowns of firearms ownership (thanks media).

Starting the steps in this order -
    • an S&W 642 CT Airweight with built-in laser and a small holster
    • a handgun familiarity course taught at the LGS, eye and ear protection
    • a link to handgunlaw.us and a copy of either Ayoob's or Branca's books on the legalities,
    • some training ammo, some range time with me using silhouette targets at close ranges,
    • some self defense rounds.

Our state does not require carry permits if you are in your home or automobile, but the next step is the handgun carry course and permits for both of them.

I have greatly benefitted from the knowledge shared in this forum and wonder if I the above steps seem like a sound approach.

P.S. My long term (selfish) plan is to have them as shooting companions!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I think your plan is a sound one, and should work well. Good luck, and safe shooting!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Endowment Member
    USCG Veteran

VIP Member
    Go for it!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I guess my only comment would be on the gun. IMHO new shooters need to learn to use the sights and not depend on lasers.
    michael t likes this.
    "Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    To live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.
    "
    (The Grey, 2011)
    At the end of the day I'm going home to my family. No matter what.

I have one small concern about gun choice to learn on. Do either of them have any handgun experience? If not I wonder if making that first range trip might be easier for them if you had a .22 pistol to start with. The light weight .38 might be a bit much for the first time shooting.

Other than that I think you have a great plan!
    michael t likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenncvol View Post
    My son and daughter-in-law are great, hard-working people that have some need of self-protection the same as all people but more so since they both work odd hours and are home alone frequently. I am one of the Boomers working past retirement so I can afford things I could not afford at their age - Rugers, Springfields, SIGs, etc. So I can help them get started without undue effort on my part. I want to help them but I also do not want to overwhelm and discourage them with too much data about the legal, equipment, and training complexities of firearms ownership right at the start. So I want to start them in a step by step approach. They currently have pepper spray, very bright flashlights with strobe functions, and an alert yappy dog. They are interested but constrained by the cost and the perceived unknowns of firearms ownership (thanks media).

Starting the steps in this order -
    • an S&W 642 CT Airweight with built-in laser and a small holster
    • a handgun familiarity course taught at the LGS, eye and ear protection
    • a link to handgunlaw.us and a copy of either Ayoob's or Branca's books on the legalities,
    • some training ammo, some range time with me using silhouette targets at close ranges,
    • some self defense rounds.

Our state does not require carry permits if you are in your home or automobile, but the next step is the handgun carry course and permits for both of them.

I have greatly benefitted from the knowledge shared in this forum and wonder if I the above steps seem like a sound approach.

P.S. My long term (selfish) plan is to have them as shooting companions!
    I like when people share things like this. Plant the seed and see what grows.
    Looks like a good plan and I hope you end up with them as shooting companions.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Looks like a good thorough approach.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    Looks like a good way to go about it without overwhelming either one of them. As darbo said above though, if neither one has ever shot before, maybe taking a 22 out for their first range day would be a good idea.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Not sure what their experience has been, with sidearms, but you might consider the suitability of a lightweight snub-nosed revolver for a first-timer. Might well not be suitable. While some folks certainly can pick it up quickly, for a true newbie it might be the worst of initial choices.

If truly new to it all, and if really first looking at basic home/car defense with the intention of picking up concealed carry at some future point, I would strongly consider first going with a larger, heavier unit. For the average noob, it'll tend to be easier to handle, easier to operate, allow for greater accuracy. Of course, revolvers all tend to be pretty simple to operate, but all the other advantages might be lost if going ultralight and short the first time out. Might be worth heading to a couple of good rental ranges, first, to try out a dozen or more various pistols and revolvers. Get a feel for the balance, handling and operation of them all. Then, whatever they get should do well for the first year of learning, after which they can then reevaluate and determine if a small revolver would be perfect. (It's not as though the original sidearm couldn't be sold at that point.)

If I were a noob (but knew what I know now) and wanted a revolver, I'd look at the Ruger SP-101 in 3", perhaps the S&W Model 60 in 3". They're still built on smaller frames, but they're heavier, with a 3" barrel that'll aid in controlling recoil. Both are built as .357mag platforms, but you can use either .357mag or .38sp cartridges in them. Can look at pre-owned revolvers, too, which can help keep the price down if you know what you're looking for.

If I wanted a good, reliable, easy to use pistol instead, I'd look at the Ruger SR9 or SR9c, the Bersa Thunder UC Pro 9/40/45, the CZ 75/PCR/P-01, or perhaps the S&W M&P 9. All are easy to use, reliable, durable, larger and heftier to better support a noob during the learning phase, etc. The Bersa is fairly cost-effective as well. If willing to consider some of the discontinued units from prior years, take a long look at the third-generation S&W pistols, notably the 3900, 5900 and 6900 series. Various calibers, single- and double-stack, full-size and compact, DA/SA and DAO, with and without safeties. Excellent guns, even if no longer made.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would suggest an NRA basic pistol class, but looking at your state law, (I wanted to make sure I was right) the NRA basic course does not qualify the training requirements for a CCW permit. It's almost as confusing as Kentucky's system. Find an instructor you trust get the straight answers and suggestions from him. However, you'll never go wrong by continuing your training and theirs with additional NRA courses. I'm getting ready to get certified as an instructor for the NRA Personal Protection in the Home and Outside the home.

These courses are good instruction that you can do as a group or as I prefer as a family.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    KY CCDW Instructor

All but the 38 sound good ..way too much kick and small sight radius get a nice basic 22 or ruger single six etc to start

Me if my first gun handed to me was a j frame with full house loads then ..

Do you have a full size k or such frame a model 10 a 686 etc?
    gasmitty likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    As mentioned by others, my only concern is the snubby revolver for a new shooter. Something in a 4" barrel with some weight to it would be more suitable for a new shooter. Other than that, it sounds like you're on the right track.
    gasmitty and ccw9mm like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As mentioned by others, my only concern is the snubby revolver for a new shooter. Something in a 4" barrel with some weight to it would be more suitable for a new shooter. Other than that, it sounds like you're on the right track.
    Yup.

A 3-4" barrel in all-steel can make a world of difference, as compared to an Airweight S&W snubbie. Particularly for a newbie.

(Of course, some of us [er, that would include me] have troubles with the Airweights even now, after decades of shooting experience. Go figure.)

If I were to blindly select a revolver for a noob, I wouldn't have a problem starting with a Ruger Redhawk in 5" bbl, for .44mag but running .44sp. (Ruger KRH-444 Redhawk would be my own choice.) That or a comparable S&W would be a fine place to start, to learn all the basics. After a year, a person would be ready to reevaluate, but will likely have learned many of the skills sufficient to make an informed judgment at that time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glock 19.
    rdunawaytx likes this.
    "If you don't want to get eaten, don't be food."

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    My daughter and son-in-law have both expressed an interest in firearms recently. This is a big step for my daughter who has always been personally anti gun. She realizes the world is not getting better. They have attended an NRA safety class, concealed carry class, and have applied for their CHL's. They have been out with my other son-in-law enough to become familiar with several firearms including .22's. Several of those tested were mine. Both are torn between semi's and revolvers. They have all the safety equipment and are going to join an indoor range. I have offered them their choices between the following:
    Smith Performance Center 1911 round butt Commander
    Smith Performance Center Model 66 3" .357
    Smith Model 640 No dash
    Smith Shield

All will come with holsters and other accessories including ammo. I told them I could not in good conscience give them the guns so they have been offered any two for $20.00 each. I think that's fair.

P.S. My Colt's, STI's, and P938's are not up for possible adoption..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links