What happens to my piece?

This is a discussion on What happens to my piece? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A thought crossed my mind that worries me a little, what happens if I wreck my bike, my truck, or get hit crossing the street? ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: What happens to my piece?

A thought crossed my mind that worries me a little, what happens if I wreck my bike, my truck, or get hit crossing the street? I know the ambulance comes, scoops me up, cuts off my clothes, but what happens to my EDC gear?
    I have thought my way through many scenarios but this has never crossed my mind. I think Sixto is an EMT, maybe he can help--SIXTO~

I know, I generally don't call it a piece but I needed an okay title.

Administrator
    I'm not a EMT. I think those guys just toss that stuff in the nearest storm drain or something.

Really though, it depends on the policy of the FD or whoever scoops you up. Most of the time that stuff gets turned over to the hospital like any other personal effects. Firearms will be secured by PD, or if it makes it to the hospital, it's turned over to hospital security to secure.

Side note, why is this posted here in the defensive senarios?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

VIP Member
    Since most your favs are edged, I don't think you have as much to worry about On a more serious note When I had a heart attack I entered the emergency room armed.; No biggie;. I informed them and they put it in a locker for my wife to pick up. Anything in your vehicle should be locked up tight in the impound lot. I'd just have an informed family member go down before it gets rifled. Probably be ok but just in case.... Stuff disappears now and then from evidence lockers so your car is not assured safe passage.
    NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Lol- of course you would see the Bat Signal right away. Storm drain?! Ha ha

That was what I was hoping would happen. What do you mean "if" it makes it to the H? I guess there is an actual scenario where I loose it in the accident. Did you have something else in mind? :)

My mom always asks when she sees my CCW while I'm getting ready to ride. She asks, "what happens when you are sliding across the pavement on that thing (my gun)"? I say, "I'm sure it will hurt, but its pretty likely something else will hurt more so I'm not really worried about it." My mom is not shy if you can't tell! She also used to say, "Don't wreck!", which I assume is her version of, break a leg and a show for concern. Lol

Administrator
    I meant "if" like the pistol wasn't discovered (you're unconscious or otherwise not capable) until you arrive or are enroute.
    Wasp, tptp and Aceoky like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

VIP Member
    The emergency staff in any moderate sized hospital has seen a lot and a trauma center has seen it all. Yours will not be the first gun they have ever discovered. There are procedures in place to secure a firearm.
    Georgia Carry
    NRA
    SAF

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    If we find a weapon on them we turn it over to pd. They respond to all wrecks anyways.

If it was a really nice 1911 or something it may "get lost". I'm totally kidding. I've never been on a call when a guy had a conceal carry firearm. If we somehow missed it, I have no doubts the hospitals have policies in place.
    PEF and USM1976 like this.

Last year in Ft. Collins CO, a woman was in an accident and the EMT's transferred her carry pistol to a sheriff's deputy while she went to the hospital. This became national news when they couldn't transfer it back to her because of CO's idiotic transfer laws since the department didn't have a FFL on staff.

They resolved the issue by using a private FFL (gun-shop) to transfer it back to her (I don't know who paid for that). Of particular note was the sheriff stating that the transfer to the deputy without a background check on the deputy was likely a violation of the background check law.
    NONAME762, DingBat, gen3 and 2 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    If Bark'n is around, he can provide a professional answer.

Paging Bark'n!
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array LeftofMars's Avatar
    "What weapon..."
    "It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

personal defense forum dot com

I was hit head on a few years back I gave the deputy my 950 Beretta and told him my wife was on the way. I was maybe 3 miles from home . I called her on my on cell . I watch as he removed the mag. And then tried to rack and eject the empty. Wasn't about to happen. As I was being loaded in EC . I saw my wife ,he gave her pistol, Told her was still loaded. She pop the barrel release and out flipped the bullet. He was totally dumb founded . I still see him now and then at gun store. I always ask if he has learned to clear a little Beretta .
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

I can help with that one , been there done that. Took my Harley deer hunting at 60 mph. In a ditch and can not move. My gun was near by but I could do nothing to recover it.
    After a while My one arm worked enough for me to get my phone out a call 911. I was 1 mile from home so I also called my daughter to come get my gun. LE arrived I asked them to give it to my wife or daughter and they did without a word. Days latter I ask the officer what would have happen has they not shown up. He said it would have been held for me or a representative to pick up at the station.
    Side note EMT also had no issue with it. She was more concerned with me.
    NONAME762, gen3 and jrclen like this.

My best friend and his wife were heading south to see his daughter about 15 years ago and was hit head on by a woman who crossed the median on I75 near Dayton, Ohio. She was being chased by the police and lost control of her car. He had an unregistered handgun in the car when it happened. The Ohio Highway Patrol came to the hospital to lecture him on the illegality of carrying a concealed weapon while he lay near death in ICU. Needless to say, he was in no condition to give a rat's rear about handgun laws. The patrolman ended up giving it to his daughter for safe keeping.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Possessions are possessions. Just like an expensive watch, a diamond ring or a bourbon flask (you know, VALUABLES!). If you're not legally-prohibited from possessing it, and the "chain of possession" isn't interrupted by a felonious act, then your piece (pistol?) should be with the ...REST of your gear. If it's separated because of policy/safety concerns, then there will be a receipt explaining who has it, why they have it & how to get it back.
    AzQkr likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links