First Time Air Travel w/ Gun

This is a discussion on First Time Air Travel w/ Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travelled with my gun on a commercial air carrier for the first time last weekend. I knew it was legal and all, but was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Air Travel w/ Gun

I travelled with my gun on a commercial air carrier for the first time last weekend. I knew it was legal and all, but was still a little nervous, what with today's security climate. I told my wife on the drive to the airport that we might have a little delay at the ticket counter since I was intending to declare a handgun in my checked bag; she about hit the roof! But I assured her that I was in compliance with all the rules and there should be no problem, and that's exactly what it was.

The unloaded KelTec P11 was secured in a locked LifeJacket and the ammunition was packed separately in a factory ammo box. I declared it to the ticket agent, he had me sign a bright red string tag and told me to open the bag and lay the tag on the very top, then take the bag to the TSA security screener. The screener didn't even open the bag after I told him that a gun was inside. The bag went through and we headed for the gate. Same deal for the return flight.

Senior Moderator
    We've checked guns before..

You think you have delays carrying guns? Try getting on a plane with C-4 residue on your luggage. Now THAT'S a feat.

Yes, as long as you do everything legally there should be no problems or real delays. On the airline we flew on five handguns was the max that we could bring and we took four, so all was well. We breezed through security like nothing was wrong.

Now, to clarify about the C-4 residue... I lived with my brother for a couple of months while he was going to EOD school in the Navy. C-4 residue was EVERYWHERE and when going through security to go home they found traces on my luggage. It took quite a bit of explaining from my brother and a couple of phone calls before they let me go.

He had to go through the whole process again a couple weeks later when coming home for Christmas. Those stinking sensors are SO sensitive.

Assistant Administrator
    True enough - for most part airline travel with gun is OK. Certainly wise to allow extra time just in case but overall I think it is something we worry about more than necessary.

There are one or two airports where I could see more problems - O'Hare perhaps is one I would not wish to go thru!!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Oh, and if possible, when traveling with guns it's best to get non-stop flights.. JUST IN CASE. There are cases of things getting stolen out of luggage, your gun isn't something you want to find is missing when you land 6 states away.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by limatunes; March 1st, 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    There are one or two airports where I could see more problems - O'Hare perhaps is one I would not wish to go thru!!!!
    Like anywhere in NJ or NY.

I'm going to Miami soon and plan to take a couple of my guns in my luggage, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the lack of strip searching/cavity searching/free holiday in Guantanamo.
    Anyone have any experience of flying with guns in and out of Miami?
    I assume it's no trouble.

I travel down to Texas Yearly for competitions and I live in Mn . I usually have my pelican case with my Remington 700 in .308 and my carry gun with me . Haven't had to many problems except for the airlines losing my suitcase for 6 hours. At the end of September I will be going to Virginia for the 1st time so we'll see how that goes.merlin45k out

Check out here http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
    I usually have a copy of this laminated along with a copy of the regulations of the airline I am flying on IN my gun case. I also have a copy I will hand to the TSA agent as they inspect it. (NOT all are familar with this procedure, so it makes the process a little less painfull) I stand by and watch them inspect and put back together along with re-locking my case.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Oh, and if possible, when traveling with guns it's best to get non-stop flights.. JUST IN CASE. There are cases of things getting stolen out of luggage, your gun isn't something you want to find is missing when you land 6 states away.

Just a thought.
    I would hope that you can hold someone (airline, TSA?) SERIOUSLY responsible if your gun is not still in your bag when you arrive where you are going.

I would go so far as to posit that maybe all bags marked to contain a firearm should be held at the receiving airport, so that the owner can pick up the bag and verify in the presence of a TSA supervisor that the gun is still where it should be.

Comments?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I would hope that you can hold someone (airline, TSA?) SERIOUSLY responsible if your gun is not still in your bag when you arrive where you are going.

I would go so far as to posit that maybe all bags marked to contain a firearm should be held at the receiving airport, so that the owner can pick up the bag and verify in the presence of a TSA supervisor that the gun is still where it should be.

Comments?
    I agree. I was kinda surprised when I flew with my edc gun and after landing, my bag just popped out on the baggage claim like anyone else's. I think the idea is that TSA doesn't flag the baggage because any of the hands that touch it when it comes off the plane could easily recognize the tag and mark it for snatching, and maybe they don't have enough personnel to station a TSA agent at every incoming flight to look for flagged luggage.

I've had no trouble flying with my guns. Flew out to Cody WY for a CAS match. Leaving Orlando, the TSA folks acted like I had plutonium, Had me open the case and toss in the their little card, as they stayed well back, closed it, locked it and they quickly sent the case on its way. It arrived in the secured section of the airport, showed ID, signed for it and left the airport. Coming back through Cody , the TSA folks were VERY interested in my guns, WOW, that's cool, what do you shoot with it, etc etc etc. Thought they were going to ask me to strap them on put on a demonstration. But the other security folks there are hard core, saw a lot of folks getting near strip searched, bags searched, even 90 yr old ladies in wheelchairs, being told to get up and have that little wand waved all around them.

Senior Moderator
    Even if you could hold them extremely responsible, it doesn't help the fact that your gun is gone. I think they feel that if they tagged your luggage with a "Gun's Aboard" sticker that it might be a liability as others could see it as well.
    Say you don't get down to the baggage claim in time and someone sees that sticker, grabs your suitcase and is gone. In our case they would have been equipped with four top of the line hand guns. Or even a baggage thrower could see the sticker and stash the bag. He may be risking his job, but the money he could get with those four "clean" guns, could probably sustain him for awhile.

I think it would be a great thing if the TSA thought up some system to protect the transportation of such things, but it's "check at own risk" just like everything else that goes under a plane.

My parents travel so much and have had so many things stolen out of their luggage. Even when you file complaints and threaten to sue, and what not.. first, it doesn't return your stolen merchandise, and second, they almost never catch the guy who did it. ESPECIALLY if you bounced to two or three or even four airports. How can they track down every person who laid hands on your stuff over 12 different states?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I never take anything on an airplane trip that I can't afford to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I never take anything on an airplane trip that I can't afford to lose.
    Agreed, but I want to carry in Miami and see no other way of doing that. I'm only going for a long weekend so I can't drive there. I have to take a gun and I don't have one that I am willing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I agree. I was kinda surprised when I flew with my edc gun and after landing, my bag just popped out on the baggage claim like anyone else's.
    Ha! My bag hardly ever pops out like everyone else's! I would be so paranoid the entire flight, wondering if my gun would appear.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links