Question about visiting the following States: GA, Al, MS

This is a discussion on Question about visiting the following States: GA, Al, MS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a rising High School Senior who is planning to do some college campus visits over the next few weeks, and I am hoping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question about visiting the following States: GA, Al, MS

I have a rising High School Senior who is planning to do some college campus visits over the next few weeks, and I am hoping to get some local prospective on some of the locations. He is planning on visiting the University of Georgia (Athens), University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), University of Mississippi (Oxford), and Auburn University.

I have read thru the information on Handgunlaw, and most campus seem to be “off limits” for actual carry.
    Most other “off limit places” are the same as North Carolina (home state) so not much concern there.

Would be grateful for any help/information about the ability to lawfully store the sidearm in the vehicle while the vehicle is parked on campus at any of these schools.
    Also any information on local laws or other places to remain clear of would be appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    There are more car safes and lock boxes than I care to type. I have a push button safe in my car and a secure it with combo lock in the Wife's. If you don't want a safe use the cable lock that comes with the gun. Befor I had a safe I used a large dog choker chain with a padlock and locked my gun to the seat frame behind a towel.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Lawfully? Parking off campus property is probably your best bet.

Athens is pretty safe, been there multiple times. Meter parking on street might be an option( high traffic, people, cops) followed by parking garages. You can walk on campus from street in various places though not sure exactly how long a walk to where you need to go on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JayHawk12 likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    GA has an exception about locking a gun up in the car in a school zone. I routinely lock my gun(s) in the car every time I go to my son's school. I have spoken to local police and they agreed with my interpretation.

Section 16-11-127.1 of the state code covers the topic.
    JayHawk12 likes this.
    Member Georgia Carry

Have and have been using a car safe for many years. So covered on storage.

To clarify, not so much trying to find out about carrying on these college campuses, most would tend to be pretty safe, at least during the day and going about on guided tours and visiting with staff. This is going to be about a week and half road trip covering about 1200 miles. Some/most of the driving is going to be late evening/ Early morning, staying in motels and going out to eat in places where I really have no knowledge of the area. So would really prefer to have sidearm with me "just in case" end up wrong area or broke down in the middle of nowhere.

Parking off campus has been a thought, was not sure of locking my sidearm up in a school zone was covered for college campuses though.

Thanks RickyD and old grunt for the info. on UGA

Well, for a North Carolinian to be touring colleges in the SEC means you're obviously SMART. Securing your EDC in your car is likely as (generally) benign as your tour allows. Just don't get your student kicked-OUT before...starting.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Georgia statutes have a lot of grey areas, and local law enforcement interpret it in different ways. There has been an effort the past few years to clarify some of the more ambigous laws , and make enforcement uniform. With that said , you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't in 10 years of carrying in GA.

BTW, friends don't let friend's kids go to Auburn.
    Last edited by Bamaga; June 26th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
    TIDEHSV and oldskeetshooter like this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    GA has an exception about locking a gun up in the car in a school zone. I routinely lock my gun(s) in the car every time I go to my son's school. I have spoken to local police and they agreed with my interpretation.

Section 16-11-127.1 of the state code covers the topic.
    Unless you are a teacher, or are picking up/dropping off the student, this is a grey area of the law. It says that you can travel through the school property, but leaving the gun in your car while parking on campus isn't necessarily traveling through. If caught, you may be charged. I don't know how anyone would know, but for the sake of legalities, this is definitely a grey area. Campus police would most definitely consider this a no-go. Yes, the campus police are real police, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk12 View Post
    I have a rising High School Senior who is planning to do some college campus visits over the next few weeks, and I am hoping to get some local prospective on some of the locations. He is planning on visiting the University of Georgia (Athens), University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), University of Mississippi (Oxford), and Auburn University.

I have read thru the information on Handgunlaw, and most campus seem to be “off limits” for actual carry.
    Most other “off limit places” are the same as North Carolina (home state) so not much concern there.

Would be grateful for any help/information about the ability to lawfully store the sidearm in the vehicle while the vehicle is parked on campus at any of these schools.
    Also any information on local laws or other places to remain clear of would be appreciated.
    The 2013 AL law really only disallows CCW on school campuses under certain conditions, the principle one being an athletic event being hosted. However, UA continues to insist the law doesn't cover them and, until the AG renders an opinion, the situation is unclear. However, the law seems to be clear that even someone who doesn't a CWL can carry a gun in an auto, so long as it and the ammunition are store locked in different containers, neither of which is within reach of the driver or a passenger. So, as long as you comply with that, theoretically, you should be able to visit Tuscaloosa. I can't speak however, for the University. Their position may be that their regulations overrule all state laws. It's not sound, because the 2013 law preempted all regulation other than discharging a firearm in city limits to the legislature. In the end, however it's not resolved. Here is the applicable part of their policy:
    POLICY STATEMENT, APPLICATION, & ENFORCEMENT:
    Except as otherwise stated in this policy or as otherwise allowed by law, the University prohibits the possession, transportation, and use of firearms and other dangerous weapons on campus. This policy applies to all persons on campus, including faculty, staff, students, contractors, patients, and visitors. University students may not possess firearms at any time on campus (except as expressly authorized by the University of Alabama Police Department ("UAPD")). UAPD provides temporary storage for firearms lawfully possessed by students at its headquarters.
    Maybe a call to them could clarify if the bolded language permits the "locked and separated" status allowed by state law...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If you had mentioned any Georgia city, other than Athens, I would just say "Use common sense". There is a reason that Athens is called "Little San Francisco". If you choose to carry a firearm in your vehicle, do not park on campus. The UGA Parking Nazis can create all kind of problems for you.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    If you had mentioned any Georgia city, other than Athens, I would just say "Use common sense". There is a reason that Athens is called "Little San Francisco". If you choose to carry a firearm in your vehicle, do not park on campus. The UGA Parking Nazis can create all kind of problems for you.
    You can always park off-campus at UA also. The walks aren't that bad, but the temps are brutal at this time of year...

Do you have a concealed carry Permit? Are you old enough? In these states are there different rules for those having a concealed permit and those folks who don't?

Can comment on your MS travel plans. Jackson has gone to the dogs so be careful and keep your situational awareness on yellow alert. Same can be said for Memphis. Enjoy your travels and STAY SAFE!

Quote Originally Posted by jbat View Post
    Can comment on your MS travel plans. Jackson has gone to the dogs so be careful and keep your situational awareness on yellow alert. Same can be said for Memphis. Enjoy your travels and STAY SAFE!

Traveling from NC to Oxford you should have no reason to be anywhere near Jackson, Ms. If you take 40 to Memphis & get on 55 South you'll be fine if you stay on the interstates. Gas up before you get there. Oxford is quickly becoming the Florida of Ms with all the wealthier retirees moving there. There's a great little gun shop just off the square. It's a nice little city & growing.
    "...a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links