To Sell Or Not To Sell ?

To Sell Or Not To Sell ?

This is a discussion on To Sell Or Not To Sell ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well that is the question. I am new to handgun ownership and now I am requesting the advice of the more seasoned. About 7 months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Sell Or Not To Sell ?

To Sell Or Not To Sell ?

Well that is the question.
    I am new to handgun ownership and now I am requesting the advice of the more seasoned.
    About 7 months ago I bought an XD 40 Service, The 1st gun I ever owned. I am not selling it..”Ever”. But a short time later I was looking for something a little different and spotted a used Beretta 9000s f 9mm for about $300.00 it’s an ok gun and does what it needs to. But I am now about to buy a Taurus pt145.
    Now the question is, should I sell the Beretta for the extra cash now or just let my collection grow? What are the criteria for getting rid of a gun? Please help as I would like to avoid any misgivings.
    Thank you.

Generally speaking, don't get rid of anything :-)

That being said, I traded a SS .44 mag Redhawk for my XD, because I rarely shot the Ruger, and need a defensive handgun. I have sold several firearms in the past, do to those pesky kids getting hungry, and several of them I won't be able to replace easily, if at all.

Just think long and hard before getting rid of one. my 2 cents.
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

I agree 100%!!! Don't sell anything. Don't be like me and trade off your Anaconda, Mustang and a Colt Detective Special because you wanted something else. Those guns are worth a "mint" now!!!!! Steve48

I agree with Pete, having regretted most (but not all) of the trade-ins I have made over the years. In my opinion, even if the gun no longer suits your needs, you are better off keeping it (unless it has significant performance problems, or funds are strictly limited).

I vote no. I can remember the three handguns I sold. Really needed money for the first two and just wanted something else in trade for the third. I'd like to have 'em back now. Guess its called regret.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I think we are all in agreement here.

Do not sell any firearm unless it has a reliability issue that can't be fixed. I cry over some that I have foolishly traded away.

Now, when I buy something it goes in the safe. When I die my estate will have a "decent" little collection. I want to add more to what I have, and I'm lucky, I don't have to sell/trade something to get it.

I bought five last year.

Biker

I am with the rest of these guys. Over the years I have parted with several firearms for various reasons. Mostly money issues but in the end I have regretted most of them being gone.

If it doesn't eat don't sell it
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: Luke 11:21

VIP Member
    Just say No

I have sold several firearms over the years ... some because I wanted to upgrade ... one because well I got it real damn cheap and sold it for a significant profit ;).

I have regretted every sale.

VIP Member
    What are the criteria for getting rid of a gun?
    For me, it boils down to one issue: reliability. I've sold handguns that gave me problems without ever looking back, but I've also sold or traded handguns that worked well and, as Zundfolge says, regretted it to this day.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I've only ever let one gun go, it was a jam-o-matic that the store bought back for what I paid for.
    But if I were you with limited funds and wanted to trade a Beretta 9000 for a PT145 I would likely do it.
    You gain a reliable large caliber gun that you can carry in various configurations.
    You lose a gun that is easily replaceable if you find out later that you regret selling it.

So, normally I'd say no, but on this one I say go for it.

Well, I've sold and traded some with no regrets. If it no longer serves any purpose to me and I really don't care for it anymore/ and want something else to replace it, in some instances I've got rid of it. But with more than I count crowding the the safe, obviously I've not done it on a regular basis. TO heck with leaving an estate, I'm going to enjoy all that I've worked hard for NOW.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    If you don't trust the gun, deep six it. If it is a very good gun you haven't had any problems with, keep it in the collection. You can always find enough cash to get another one. Three words for getting a gun when ya don't have quite enough cash. LAY-A-WAY
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

My First Response...

would be to say no...

But there are other times...and I would say, NO! again...

I have the 9000S in 9mm and it's a great little gun. Definitely something to get 'used' to...but very dependable...DON'T SELL IT!

This is the right time to start your gun collection!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links