Any recourse on slow permits?

This is a discussion on Any recourse on slow permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Coloradan, I submitted my Utah permit application and it was received by them on December 17th, (my Certified Mail receipt says that they ...

Thread: Any recourse on slow permits?

Any recourse on slow permits?

As a Coloradan, I submitted my Utah permit application and it was received by them on December 17th, (my Certified Mail receipt says that they received it on Dec. 7th, but whatever...). I even gave them my credit card number in order to expedite the process. Since 12/17, it has now been 75 days and no permit. Their turnaround is supposed to be 60 days, but others here have reported turnaround of 78-80 days. Do states have to answer to anyone about their slow handling time?

I know, I know... I should be thankful that I can qualify for a UT permit and save $100 compared to the CO permit, but still... it's taking a lot of patience to continue to walk around Denver unarmed. I guess I need to suck it up and thank goodness for states with strong leadership unlike that of my own state...

2. Remove Ads

It could be worse.
    I was born in England but am now a US citizen, during the application process (about 4 years and maybe $6000) my paperwork found itself in the New Orleans immigration offices for some reason. It was there when Katrina hit.
    My application was lost.
    Fortunately I had copies of everything I had submitted, receipts for the numerous payments and CIS/INS had an electronic file of the whole thing.

But yes, waiting is a killer. But if you complain it will arrive the next day.

VIP Member
    Do states have to answer to anyone about their slow handling time?
    In theory, the State serves the people...of course, as you know, it's the other way around now...
    Have you tried to contact anybody in the Utah office about the delay? Probably, continued patience is going to be your only real option.

Are you aware of the Colorado State legislature's attempt to pass a law making only permits issued by the state of residence valid? I'm not sure of the current status of this legislation, but it would render your Utah permit invalid if passed and signed...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Maklioso View Post
    Their turnaround is supposed to be 60 days, but others here have reported turnaround of 78-80 days. Do states have to answer to anyone about their slow handling time?
    As discussed in this thread, it costs the Bureau of Criminal Identification about ten times more to process CCW applications than the legislature has allocated for this purpose in the budget (the permit fees go into the state's general fund, rather than directly to BCI).

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    Are you aware of the Colorado State legislature's attempt to pass a law making only permits issued by the state of residence valid? I'm not sure of the current status of this legislation, but it would render your Utah permit invalid if passed and signed...
    Yeah, I am. I understand that it has already cleared the Senate and is making its way to the House. That doesn't surprise me at all; that's one of the main reasons that I got my CCW--because I knew that with Owens gone, our 2A rights may be threatened in the near future. I plan on ponying up for a CO permit as soon as I can get a copy of my birth certificate. At this rate, all Utah will have to do to entice me to move is to learn how to fix their roads!

Maklioso, I too had sent in for Utah about the same time as you Dec 17 or 18. I called because I felt maybe my photo wasn't correct so I called Utah BCI. I talked with a very nice lady who told me if the photo wasn't good they wouldn't notify me until the final phase before issuance. She also told me that permits were taking about 90 days and not 60. Good luck to you and hope it comes sooner.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Thats cruddy news. As far as I know you don't need a birth certificate for your CO CCW. Pony up for the CO permit fast, it looks like the legislation will pass.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

COLORADO LEGISLATIVE ALERT!

Republican Senators Help Pass Anti-CCW Bill!

SB34, which prohibits use of non-resident out-of-state concealed carry permits by Colorado residents, was resurrected and passed by the State Senate thanks to the fact that two Republican Senators from rural districts, Jack Taylor (R-8) and Ken Kester (R-2), switched their votes in favor of the anti-CCW measure. Had these two senators, who had been steadfastly supported by shooters and gun owners in their recent re-elections, not switched their votes, this anti-gun bill would have been defeated. Please call Senators Taylor (303-866-5292) and Kester (303-866-4877) and POLITELY tell them how disappointed you are that they let down the very Colorado gun owners that helped elect them and that you expect better from them in the future. The bill now goes to the House, where it will be even tougher to defeat due to the larger Democrat majority. Please call/write/email your State Representative and tell them to oppose this unnecessary bill that will invalidate CCW permits that law-abiding Colorado citizens use to protect themselves and their families.

Senate State Affairs Kills Pro-Self Defense Bill!

HB1011 (sponsored by Rep. C. Gardner, R-63), which would have permitted occupants of a business to use deadly force against violent intruders, was defeated in the Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs committee on a strict party-line vote. Voting against the bill were notorious anti-gun Senators Peter Groff (D-33), Sue Windels (D-19) and Chris Romer (D-32). Of particular note on this bill is that anti-gun Senate leaders Joan FitzGerald and Ken Gordon sent it to a committee that has little or nothing to due with the drafting of criminal law statutes (the subject matter of this bill) and is dominated by anti-gun urban Democrats.

House Judiciary Buries Automobile CCW Ban Bill

HB1278 (sponsored by Rep. Joel Judd, D-Denver), which would have overturned a decades-old law permitting Colorado citizens to carry concealed handguns for protection in their automobiles without a permit, was postponed to a date after the end of the regular legislative session, effectively killing the bill. This prevented an embarrassing defeat for the bill’s sponsor at the hands of his own party’s majority and illustrates how important your contact of legislators can be.

CCW Database Bill To Be Heard in Senate

HB1174 (sponsored by Rep. Al White, R-Winter Park), which will create a permanent statewide database personal information on CCW permit holders, will soon be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Please call the following senators and urge them to oppose this unnecessary bill:

Brandon Shaffer 303-866-5291
    Bob Bacon 303-866-4841
    John Morse 303-866-6364
    Betty Boyd 303-866-4857
    Shawn Mitchell 303-866-4876
    Scott Renfroe 303-866-4451
    Steve Ward 303-866-4846

Gun Tax Bill Going to Senate Floor

SB109, (sponsored by Sen. Ron Tupa (D-18), which would impose a $15 tax on all firearm purchases in Colorado, will soon be voted on by the entire State Senate. Please call your State Senator and urge him/her to oppose this unfair and unconstitutional tax on your right to bear arms.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

jmc
    I'll take 60 days any day....I still have at least 100 days left...
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Links