Believer CC reservations?

This is a discussion on Believer CC reservations? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize this thread has the potential to trail off into an off-limits religious debate, but that is not my intention. To respect the Forum ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Believer CC reservations?

Believer CC reservations?

I realize this thread has the potential to trail off into an off-limits religious debate, but that is not my intention. To respect the Forum rules, please limit responses to personal Spiritual CC considerations.

Being a Born Again Believer, there were many aspects of weapons/concealed carry that I had to pray and consider carefully. I guess its obvious which side of the fence I came down on since Im in here, but I just wondered if any other Believers out there had the same struggle? Thank you all in advance and God bless, Mike.

2. Remove Ads

Here are some good things to think about:

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC/TOC.htm#EthicalReligious

Being a Born Again Believer
    Why is everything treated as a proper noun?

oh boy here we go...

i have am a Christian as well, but that has never caused me to even think twice about carrying, God helps them that help themselfs, the way i see it God gave man dominion over the earth, if you look up the word "dominion " it does not mean standby helplessly and defenseless and hope for the best because you believe God will protect you.
    without our guns or weapons in general, man would not remain on the top of the food chain so to speak. furtherer more i feel it is a way to take a stand against criminals and people with evil intentions. i am not going to stand my and watch my family get robbed, stabbed, raped or assaulted, i am not going to stand helplessly by and get killed if God forbid some guy storms our church to kill as many as possible. i like to sleep well at night knowing me and my family are safe from intruders. even after i know that i am doing my best to protect myself and loved ones, i still trust in God no matter what. i don't stop wearing my seatbelt because just because i believe god will protect me, i don't cancel my insurance, stop wearing my helmet when i ride, that would be foolish. i feel the same way about carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    First off when Nehemiah told the Israelites that they were responsible for the wall in front of them.

Christ Himself used a weapon in defense of the Temple from Theives.

Then before the crusifixion Christ told the disciples to sell a cloak and buy a sword.

Then I guess you can't discount Boaz being responsible for the well-being of Ruth.

Looking out for the welfare of the family is a duty, not a governmental responsibility.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Defending one's self and loved ones from human predators is no different than defending them from wolves. Given God's standards, there is no struggle to be had...go forth and carry!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    HOLYROLLER,

I'm also a Christian and I understand your question very well. I personally have no biblical or spiritual issues with being prepared to defend myself and my family against the threat of immanent severe bodily injury or death any more than I have issues with having automobile insurance or using seatbelts when driving my car! I don't see self defense as an issue of faith or lack of faith.

I also don’t carry a gun so I can shoot someone, I carry a gun because there are certain well armed individuals who are very determined, for whatever reason, to hurt and kill innocent people who are unprepared to defend themselves. If a BG ends up dead and in Hell because he tried to kill me, well, that was the BG’s personal choice!

Hope that helps!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks Mike for your post and sharing your thoughts and concerns. I've been a pastor for 35 years and started carrying 3 years ago. What percipitated my decision was taking the grandkids around town, i.e. the mall, Mickey D's, the park, etc. Everytime I read or heard another story about kids being snatched, abused, killed and traffiked, or some nutcase walking in a mall, restaurant, etc. and blowing people away... I began to ponder my personal responsibility. Remember Cain, the murderer of Able and his statement to God... "Am I my brother's keeper?" The obvious implied answer is yes, absolutely.

Another passage that speaks to my responsibility in this area is... "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." Pretty strong words. Among other provisions I make for my family, I provide safety and protection for them.

Beyond my immediate family, consider the story of the Good Samaritan. "Who is my neighbor?" the man asked. Its obvious from that story that I bear some resonsibility for others as well. Just some thoughts for you today.

I'll be performing a wedding this afternoon. In addition to wearing a nice suit, I will be carrying my little P3AT in my left front pocket. You never know what might happen when and if I ask the quesiton, "Is there anybody here who knows of reason why these two should not be married? Let him now speak or forever hold his peace." Just kidding... but thought I'd throw that in. (Not kidding about carrying at the wedding though.)

great thread....

As For Me And Mine...

We choose to protect ourselves...

If you choose to 'harm' me or mine...I will destroy you...but I will say a prayer for your soul...you're going to need it for the meeting you will soon ...be going to...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LOL Pastor! Thanks for all the replies...good stuff.

Holy, River, I agree with you guys. I am also a Believer. I spend quite a bit of time at Church and on trips with our Youth Group. Almost every trip out of town and around town, I spend with our youth. I have had a conversation with our Pastor discussing hypothetical situations in Church and during Youth trips. He is not a "gun person", has never hunted, has led a very sheltered life. I gave him a bit of suggested reading and left it at that.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Churc...ient=firefox-a
    Unbeknownst to any of our youth, any of the members of our Church, anyone but myself and my wife know that I carry. I carry on ALL trips, youth or otherwise. While it would trouble me greatly to take a human life, it would be done to protect the youth I am charged with protecting and chaperoning. I do not take any of these responsibilities lightly, protecting the Youth and my family are priorities, if it requires shedding blood, so be it. I do understand your dilemma, and I agree with most of the answers .
    D

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Why is everything treated as a proper noun?
    Because it's Fun...

Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    Because it's Fun...
    I wasn't trying to stir the pot, it's just something I have never fully understood, writing 'Him' rather than the correct 'him'.

Ignore this though, I don't want to threadjack.

Gabe Suarez has written extensively about self-defense from a Christian perspective. Here is a sample.

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links