I'm really proud of my church's decision regarding concealed carry

This is a discussion on I'm really proud of my church's decision regarding concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I spoke at a meeting of my church's staff. I spoke about some security measures that we could take to be more safe. For ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I'm really proud of my church's decision regarding concealed carry

Tonight I spoke at a meeting of my church's staff. I spoke about some security measures that we could take to be more safe. For my presentation, I purposely left out any discussion on guns and the local laws, but I came prepared to talk about it If anyone brought it up.
    Someone did! I was a little leary that it would not be received well, but to the contrary, we spent a significant time on the process that would be involved. Many of the staff seemed not only intrigued, but willing.

Once it is said and done, I'll be offering some add-on training so that people are ready to respond to the unique threats that may be faced while conducting church business. I think that times have changed, and a lot of people are ready to face these new challenges.
    Pinot, Old Sarge, darbo and 20 others like this.

VIP Member
    Good for your church.

Now wander over to the new members section and introduce yourself. Welcome to DC from Cuba on the Chesapeake!

Great start for your church and welcome to DC.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum - and congratulations for encouraging your church to do the safe and right thing.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Welcome!

Shortly after the state law in Georgia changed, allowing the governing bodies of the individual churches to decide whether or not to allow guns on their premises, our board voted to establish a security team made up of discreetly selected members with concealed carry permits. Two people served every Sunday, one in each building, but there were always several others that were armed while in the service.

We met last Sunday to sign up for the rest of the year, and talked about changes we needed to make in light of the recent Charleston church shooting. I don't claim to know what's in their hearts, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the attitude of a few of the men was "Yeah, I've got a gun and a carry permit, I'll help out once a month." I'm not the team leader, but I tried to make the point very clear that by volunteering we were saying that in the worst-case scenario, we would put ourselves between the congregation and the shooters. And, not just as potential bullet-catchers, but meeting force with force.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; Rock River Arms LAR-15 Elite CAR A4
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    My pastor welcomes an armed congregation. It is one of the reasons I am a member of my particular church.
    I would not attend services in a GFZ... that is just stupid.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Only an ostrich could not recognize what is happening to our world. Welcome to the forum and, kudos to your church.
    USM1976 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I became an elder at our church this past January and have tossed around the idea of broaching the subject of a security team. But I'm not 100% sure where our pastor stands on the issue of firearms and am afraid of disrupting the unspoken "don't ask don't tell" policy that has been in place since CC was legalized in IL. As of now I know there are at least 4 individuals armed on any given Sunday so we at least have that going for now. Kudos to you and your church!
    USM1976 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    It is remarkably sad that places of worship are targets, but that is now clearly the case. Good for you and your church being willing to exercise the rights that God gave you to protect your families.

And, welcome to DC!
    Member Georgia Carry

Distinguished Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    if you knew ahead of time that somebody was coming to your church to hurt people, would you rather have a gun or not have a gun?

I'll take gun for $1000 Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Good for your church.

Now wander over to the new members section and introduce yourself. Welcome to DC from Cuba on the Chesapeake!
    Thanks, and done (Thought I did that a long time ago).

Churches are prime targets now for these tragic acts of violence. I recently attended a seminar for Church security put on by two retired Secret Service agents. Our Church has plan in place to deal with such incidents. Our clergy is very supportive of it and proactive towards prevention as well. I always carry and strongly believe in "protecting the flock"!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NC CWP, LEOSA Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

mkh
    Great news.

Carl Chinn has a book entitle Evil invades the Sanctuary that I used as a guide when I formed our security team 4.5 years ago. I drew on my background and the experiences of Carl for how the team is organized, trained and equipped. The Church Security Alliance also has some good materials on forming and recruiting a team as well as how to see the governing body on the concept and how to develop polices and procedures.

Ping me if I can be of any help.

Ron
    We now have an armed security guard at the entrance during Friday night services, and I, and some other members of the congregation carry, but not with the knowledge or consent of the Rabbi. i have decided not to raise the issue because if he says no to our carry to services, I would feel personally obligated to comply.

But, my fear is that if there was a shooter who entered the sanctuary and started shooting, there would be such panic with people running all over, I don't see how I could safely try to take out the shooter without risking hitting a member of the congregation.

I hate to say this, but in all likelihood it would probably be the armed guard who might be shot first, and that would alert us and, perhaps, let us get into a position near the entrance to take out the shooter.

It is not a very comforting scenario to think about.
    Old Sarge likes this.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    We now have an armed security guard at the entrance during Friday night services, and I, and some other members of the congregation carry, but not with the knowledge or consent of the Rabbi. i have decided not to raise the issue because if he says no to our carry to services, I would feel personally obligated to comply.

But, my fear is that if there was a shooter who entered the sanctuary and started shooting, there would be such panic with people running all over, I don't see how I could safely try to take out the shooter without risking hitting a member of the congregation.

I hate to say this, but in all likelihood it would probably be the armed guard who might be shot first, and that would alert us and, perhaps, let us get into a position near the entrance to take out the shooter.

It is not a very comforting scenario to think about.
    Ron , The more possible defenders the less likely a shooter could harm those inside.

I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone at least by sight. I spend a lot of time at the various LGS's and Ranges, and know lots of people from there also. I see lots of those same people in church. I can only assume that more than a few have CCW's and carry. Here in CA churches would have to post there property to ban guns and I have never seen one posted. If the church I go to most often has a security team I have never heard of it. But the church near my last home had one going years back before CCW was common.

DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links