Will my Height and Weight be a factor in concealing?

This is a discussion on Will my Height and Weight be a factor in concealing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to concealed carry and I have not yet picked up a holster for my 1911 5'' so my question is will my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will my Height and Weight be a factor in concealing?

Will my Height and Weight be a factor in concealing?

I am new to concealed carry and I have not yet picked up a holster for my 1911 5'' so my question is will my 5'5 140lbs midget body be a factor in concealing my Springfield? I want a IWB holster but am not sure if I will print a lot and also if my hip might get thrown out of whack.

2. Remove Ads

Nah, everybodies carry method is a highly individual thing. Much will depend on how you dress. If you can dress casual while carrying it will be a much easier job with your 1911. Wish I could give you an easy answer on holster choice but different holsters work better for different folks. The right holster shouldn't bother your hip barring physical problems.

A good approach is to call and talk with some of the better holster makers, many are on this forum. They've seen alot and are suprisingly honest about who their products work best for.

Good luck!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

you shouldn't have a problem...the only issues I had when I carried a 5" 1911 IWB was occassionally getting pinched when I sat down (due to the length of the slide).

a 1911 is a great gun for a smaller-frame person due to the thin profile.

Just make sure you get a quality holster and belt.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

If Anyone Comments On Your Stature...

Hey, you DO HAVE A GUN...

Just kidding of course. Big guys may like full size 1911's or Ultra models...and the smaller guys may like either...also...

It's just an individual preference...what is comfortable TO YOU?

I think that IWB will help a great deal regardless of what you carry. If anything proves to be a hindrance, it will be the length of the grip and not the barrel.

I have two Kimbers...an Ultra, and a Pro. The longer grip of the Pro is a little bit harger to cope with (not much), but here in FL with just a light shirt...it is a minor factor. I believe that if I had the Compact model (4" bbl and shorter grip) the barrel length would not be a factor in CCW.

Others may or may not agree...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    If you are broader of shoulder than wide at hip - and can have a good choice of adequate length cover garments then OWB IMO will give greater comfort and still hold in tight.

The only part exposed extra compared with IWB is what is below belt line - and if your hips are a bit ''boney'' then comfort will be better.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey, you DO HAVE A GUN...

Just kidding of course. Big guys may like full size 1911's or Ultra models...and the smaller guys may like either...also...

It's just an individual preference...what is comfortable TO YOU?

I think that IWB will help a great deal regardless of what you carry. If anything proves to be a hindrance, it will be the length of the grip and not the barrel.

I have two Kimbers...an Ultra, and a Pro. The longer grip of the Pro is a little bit harger to cope with (not much), but here in FL with just a light shirt...it is a minor factor. I believe that if I had the Compact model (4" bbl and shorter grip) the barrel length would not be a factor in CCW.

Others may or may not agree...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret

Yes, I will be mainly carrying in FL especially this summer so thats also what I was wondering since I have a smaller frame with skinny hips will I print much with a the fullsize? I dont want to be printing...concealed means concealed! But I guess I am also debating on which mag carrier to get and I am thinking about one that will probably also print http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=1328523

I doubt you will have a problem. You may have to experiment with holster positioning and find the most comfortanle spot for you, but I don't think they'll be an issue with carrying that 5". I carry my XD at 2:00 during the summer months with only my shorts and t-shirt without any printing or problems. While not quite as big as your 1911, it still is a full-size service handgun that doesn't give me any issues as far as IWB carry.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Florida...The Gunshine State...

I dress in shorts and T's most of the year. During the colder months I wear the 'longer' shorts and a light jacket.

In the summer, I wear a summer T-shirt (a wife beater?) under my normal T-shirt and as long as the shirt is a little loose, I have no problem.

I usually have my Kimber Ultra or a Glock-36...usually in a Fist #1A (strong side) IWB worn at 3:30...very comfortable! Sometimes I may wear a Fist #41 SOB at about 5:30...also very comfortable...

When I wear my Glock-36 in the SOB postion (some don't like this...I know, oh well...) I hardly know it's there...standing, sitting, or whatever...

Enjoy Florida...where are you going?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Springhill and Tampa mainly along with a little traveling here and there. Need to find a place to shoot will im up there. What was with the comment about me having a gun?

I'm 5'4" and 140lbs. I carried a Beretta 92F for a couple of years and then switched to a Glock 17 for 11 years and have recently started to carry a Glock 30. I always carry IWB. Your size isn't a factor anymore than anyone elses, you just have to find a holster that fits and pay attention to your clothing. Printing IWB isn't that big of a deal and as long as you are in decent shape, it shouldn't bother your hip. Good Luck.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by gunsblazin View Post
    Spring hill and Tampa mainly along with a little traveling here and there. Need to find a place to shoot will im up there. What was with the comment about me having a gun?
    Just North Of Spring Hill about 10 miles fro Weeki Watchie on route 19 Is the Hernando Sportsman's Club.
    http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/
    And just south I think off New York Ave is "Spec Ops" That has an indoor range.
    A little farther South of that In Port Richey on Ridge Rd is an Indoor range at "The Firing line"
    http://www.firinglinerange.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    Just North Of Spring Hill about 10 miles fro Weeki Watchie on route 19 Is the Hernando Sportsman's Club.
    http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/
    And just south I think off New York Ave is "Spec Ops" That has an indoor range.
    A little farther South of that In Port Richey on Ridge Rd is an Indoor range at "The Firing line"
    http://www.firinglinerange.com/
    Thanks, I looked the Hernando Sportsmans Club awhile back. I love to shoot outside so I will forsure go there. I dont get to do that in this state. I had another question for the people who live in FL. Is there many places that you cannot carry? Like malls, beaches and tourist establishments? I was going to pick up this book
    Florida Firearms:
    Law, Use & Ownership
    Sixth Edition
    But I have not yet. Has anyone read it? If so, is it useful?

It will take you time and a number of holsters to finalize on a system that will work for you.

I use 4 different guns (all DAO) that meet my carry needs (two at a time). Let us know what you end up with.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

gunsblazin When I call you shorty I'll say Mr. my friend.

Hey, I'm only 5'06" and hide an N-Frame S&W, so I know of what you're wondering about. Get a high quality holster AND belt from a custom maker. It will make a big difference.

As far as dress, I wear either jeans and Lrg T-Shirt, untucked or a suit complete with a jacket. In the heat it gets a little warm, but my dress code is such that a suit is not out of place.

Get your suits fitted with the guns you wear on. It too will make a big difference. I also have a "patch" sewn in to my jackets to protect the lining. The hardest part of concealing the 5" 1911 will be the "butt" since the slide will be hidden by your pants if you use an IWB.

I wear my handgun at 8:30, I'm a lefty. I hope this helps Mr Shorty. (I'm a Mr Shorty too and it was a great song by Marty Robbins)

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    gunsblazin When I call you shorty I'll say Mr. my friend.

Hey, I'm only 5'06" and hide an N-Frame S&W, so I know of what you're wondering about. Get a high quality holster AND belt from a custom maker. It will make a big difference.

As far as dress, I wear either jeans and Lrg T-Shirt, untucked or a suit complete with a jacket. In the heat it gets a little warm, but my dress code is such that a suit is not out of place.

Get your suits fitted with the guns you wear on. It too will make a big difference. I also have a "patch" sewn in to my jackets to protect the lining. The hardest part of concealing the 5" 1911 will be the "butt" since the slide will be hidden by your pants if you use an IWB.

I wear my handgun at 8:30, I'm a lefty. I hope this helps Mr Shorty. (I'm a Mr Shorty too and it was a great song by Marty Robbins)

Biker
    LOL! Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will actually be wearing a suit when I go down to FL this summer but only for a day since I have a wedding to go to. I think I might bring a BUG to stick in my suit pocket for the day/evening. I am/was worried about the Butt of the gun printing since I am skinny in the hips. I was pondering about buying a shorter 1911 such as a Kimber CDP II Compact or a Colt Gunsite but I do not really have the cash for them. It gets really hot in FL during the summer time I just dont want to be dripping wet carrying the extra weight around of my gun and two spare mags. I can hardly even carry my cell phone(LOL!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links