Question for Tennesse folks

This is a discussion on Question for Tennesse folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone not quite sure if this is the right place or not for this question. I'm a Mississippi resident with concealed carry permit ( ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By cleveland48
  • 2 Post By cjohnson44546
  • 1 Post By Northface
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: Question for Tennesse folks

Hello everyone not quite sure if this is the right place or not for this question. I'm a Mississippi resident with concealed carry permit ( not the enhanced) my wife and I will be heading to Nashville for a few days next week and I got some questions for you good Tn folks. Been looking at handgun laws.com and I know Tn honors Ms permits. Does the sign carry force of law? It appears is does but wanna make sure. Apparently you don't have to inform officer either. Any advice would be appreciated my first time carrying out of state. Thanks for any help.

your one stop shop Handgunlaw.us
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I looked there but couldn't tell if the rules were any different for Tn permit holders compared to out of state holders. I have a hard time understanding the lawyer wording lol

Ok I read it slower this time and apparently the sign does carry the force of law.

Senior Member Array cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
    Ok I read it slower this time and apparently the sign does carry the force of law.
    Yes, they rather idiotically do carry weight of law.
    StormRhydr and gunpoor like this.

I'm used to that unfortunately Ms is the same way.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, in the legislature, having those signs start to carry the force of law (and they definitely do) was the price of the zero-cost fiscal note which made passage of several favorable refinements to our existing laws possible. They were made to carry the force of law so that no funds were necessary to upgrade several local government buildings. I don't agree with it, but there it is.

"Those who like sausage and respect the law shouldn't watch either one being made."
    Last edited by falcon1; July 6th, 2015 at 09:48 PM.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

As noted they do carry force of law. Also any no gun sign works; official signage, no guns in crayon or the red circle and slash over a firearm. Be careful as they are often stuck in a corner of the door or window. You are not required to notify law enforcement, but not a bad idea to do it anyway.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
    I looked there but couldn't tell if the rules were any different for Tn permit holders compared to out of state holders. I have a hard time understanding the lawyer wording lol
    When you're in TN (or any other state that honors your permit) you are bound by the laws of that state, not the laws of MS. When I travel, I print out the info for each state I'll be traveling through and put it in a 3 ring binder for quick reference.
    StormRhydr and falcon1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    When you're in TN (or any other state that honors your permit) you are bound by the laws of that state, not the laws of MS. When I travel, I print out the info for each state I'll be traveling through and put it in a 3 ring binder for quick reference.
    That's a very good idea I may do that myself

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links