Smith and Wesson model 69 key lock.

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson model 69 key lock. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. So I bought a model 69 S&W .44 magnum on an impulse. My question is if ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By WildBill335
  • 2 Post By PEF

Thread: Smith and Wesson model 69 key lock.

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. So I bought a model 69 S&W .44 magnum on an impulse. My question is if I remove the flag that activated the key lock will the actual key lock mechanism fall out under recoil? Looking at it, I don't thing it should but I wanted some first hand advice. If I remove the whole thing there will be a big hole in the side. If I can leave the lock in but remove the flag, and it be reliable, then I'm good with having the "lock look" and honestly this gun is meant to go into the woods with me so looks just don't concern me as much as I guess they should. I just want the gun to work. Thanks guys and sorry if I posted in the wrong spot. Still kinda a newb.
    Struckat likes this.

North of the big green bridge in East Tn Mtns
    Youtube can tell you what you want to know. Or the manufacturer forum.

VIP Member
    At Smith-Wessonforum.com there are many threads about "The Lock," and I believe you can buy "The Plug" to completely remove "The Lock."

That being said, I have many SW revolvers with the locks, with multiple thousands of rounds though them, and I've never had a problem with the lock.
    jem102 and ginzo like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

My question is if I remove the flag that activated the key lock will the actual key lock mechanism fall out under recoil?
    The answer is no. Simply removing the flag will not cause anything to fall out under recoil.

Congrats on the 69, I have had one since December. You will like it.. I put the X frame grip on it ....nice.
    I added the 66-8 a few months ago. The DA on the 69 just "Rolls" so smooth. The 66 needs some love to get it to that level. These new Smiths are excellent revolvers.

I haven't tampered with my locks yet, and not sure if I will. There are many YouTubes on the removal and there are plugs available for the hole.

Thanks! I'm really excited to get out and shoot it. I let a Taurus .44 mag go to help fund this revolver and I'm sure I won't regret that. Got some 300 grainers I'm excited to put through it in a couple weeks!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links