Everyone loves a good "anti" story.

This is a discussion on Everyone loves a good "anti" story. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I began thinking of carrying for a couple of years before I got my permit. ( got it 5 months ago) I hesitated telling one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone loves a good "anti" story.

VIP Member

I began thinking of carrying for a couple of years before I got my permit. ( got it 5 months ago) I hesitated telling one of my good friends because he's real "lefty". I made my appointment for my ccw class and got me a S&W 642. I took pictures of it and twice I inserted one of the pictures into an email to send to him, then changed my mind, knowing what I'd probably hear from him once he saw the gun. Its obvious its for carrying. Like an idiot , I sent him a picture anyway. Then here comes the phone call.
    First it was "why do you need to carry a gun? Where are you going to carry?" At this time I wasnt sure how often or where I would carry, (I carry everywhere by the way ) so I had no good answer, I'd just say "I dont know, but if I dont get a permit, I have no option of carrying at all". This answer was not good enough. He expected me to know exactly where, how and when I was going to carry before I got a permit. By this time he was yelling literally demanding answers. It got real nasty. He even said" Yeah I see that gun has no hammer so it doesnt get snagged on your pants on the way out".. Like I'm some kind of thug now..
    Now the kicker to this story. This guy has 4 guns, from pistols to shotguns strategically placed around his house all loaded and ready to go. He told his live in girlfriend "if they come in this door, get in the corner with this shotgun, aim in the general direction and shoot". Then "if they come in this way , do this "etc..So..Here he has 4 loaded guns around his house , he's been around guns all his life, but gives me hell for wanting to protect myself outside my house..We havent talked since that day..........

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm sorry. It sounds like your friend is a moron.

Been there. Real friends would not be like that, which is why I have few real friends. Take care.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Assistant Administrator
    Reminds me of an old buddy I have known for years who - during a phone chat decided that me carrying was ''asking for trouble''! He is a leather worker, a good one - and he even made me some holsters many many years ago - but that was UK - no carry.

I challenged him on it for an explanation as to why? - zilch!! He was sadly, like so many who seem up tight about the whole deal - simply gonna insist it would get me into trouble - no debate just - broken record

Pity - no amount of logic would get thru and - so I guess we probably will never resume contact - just because he is too narrow minded to think out of the box.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    He has loaded guns around his house and plans for repelling invaders, but can't abide by a friend who carries? Something is not right upstairs. I don't know your relationship, but you may be better off without him if he is as hard headed as you say. Maybe if you let some time pass, then contact him again he will have cooled off.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    He has loaded guns around his house and plans for repelling invaders, but can't abide by a friend who carries? Something is not right upstairs. I don't know your relationship, but you may be better off without him if he is as hard headed as you say. Maybe if you let some time pass, then contact him again he will have cooled off.
    I have to say, this isnt the only reason we're not talking , it was just the straw that broke the camels back. I've always had to "justify" everything Ive ever done. He loves to argue, I dont.. So when he began yelling and demanding answers I hung up on him and thats that.. Just because a friend doesnt agree with me carrying , I'm fine with that, its their opinion, but dont yell and attack me over it..Especially being hypocritical with an arsenol of guns loaded in his house...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Robere, ask your friend why, if he so dislikes people carrying guns, and is so well-defended should one of them try to get into his house, he leaves so many loaded guns around that would, essentially, arm a burglar if he is ripped off while no one's home.

From the description of him, I wouldn't even do the "call later to see if he's cooled off" thing. I'd just forget him. Why cause yourself hassle?

Holy hell....sounds like an ex-girlfriend I had years back. (thanks for the pain....)
    He's one of those guys who knows everything about nothing and talks about everything he knows!
    You will find more like minded people at the range or in any training classes you take too.
    Your buddy also reminds me of the people who carry around with an empty chamber because it's safer that way (they truely believe they will have enough time to rack the slide to load their weapon when they need it) I ask them if they drive their car around without the seatbelt on and only buckle it before they get into a car accident.
    It usually leaves them dumb founded.

robere,

Your ex-friend is a classic example of an ignorant anti-gunner. Send him these links and ask him if these people were just asking for trouble.

http://claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

http://www.healylaw.com/self-def.htm#School
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Sounds like one of my former friends who has a dirt cheap 9mm handgun from Intratec, but yet at the same time, thinks guns go off by themselves, and is totally against the carrying of firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'm sorry. It sounds like your friend is a moron.

Sounds like you are not loosing much of a friend. Maybe he does just like to push peoples buttons. Maybe he will cool off.

VIP Member
    We havent talked since that day.........
    I wouldn't worry about it...sounds like you are doing just fine. Let him make the apology if he ever wises up...if not...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I've never thought of this as something I would tell friends about. My wife knows, in a kind of an abstract way, and someone I shoot with. Doubtless among my acquaintances, there would be all manner of reaction...their prerogative I suppose. But that isn't the reason for my near obsessive discretion.

The guy sounds more like an anti-friend, based on your description. Little loss, if so little causes a split. It apparently wasn't based on very solid footing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry the S&W 637 SPL +P AIRWEIGHT for pockit & backup

I carry the S&W 637 SPL +P AIRWEIGHT for pockit & backup
    great carry gun has a hammer but have two good holsters and bellyband for summertime carry also if he is a true pal he will call
    and say he is sorry for his rotten phone call rant...if not better to move on!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links