need suggestions

This is a discussion on need suggestions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any suggestions on how to get my wife intrested in shooting and carrying. I will be attending my CPL class on saturday and could not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need suggestions

need suggestions

Any suggestions on how to get my wife intrested in shooting and carrying.
    I will be attending my CPL class on saturday and could not convince her that it would be good for her also.
    she loves to shoot skeet with me and she has shot pistols before so I don't understand what the issue is.
    She has no problem with me carrying but I can't be with her and my kids all the time.
    Im not sure how to go about peaking her intrest without it seeming like im pressuring her.
    Or should I just let it be?

2. Remove Ads

If you have any LEO friends have them over for dinner. I've almost gotten my wife to get her permit and a lot of what convinced her was when I had a LEO buddy over for dinner. I didn't prompt him or guide the conversation it just happened.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

VIP Member

Just let it be

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to get my wife intrested in shooting and carrying.
    I will be attending my CPL class on saturday and could not convince her that it would be good for her also.
    she loves to shoot skeet with me and she has shot pistols before so I don't understand what the issue is.
    She has no problem with me carrying but I can't be with her and my kids all the time.
    Im not sure how to go about peaking her intrest without it seeming like im pressuring her.
    Or should I just let it be?
    Some people need to make up their own minds. My wife insisted early on in our marriage that I keep a gun in the house. Yet, she is not happy with CC (especially in our own home) and does not want to carry herself. This, notwithstanding the fact that her sister was beaten, robbed, and raped by a home intruder.

The old saying about not walking in someone else's mochasins applies. You can not possibly know the ten billion thoughts your wife's brain has processed in reaching her decision. Let it be.

Suggestions

I'm currently starting a womens shoot at my club in NJ in order to gain women's interest in the shooting sports. Perhaps shooting and talking to women with similar interests would help your wife's situation.
    I'm hoping the same thing happens here and we gain more women's support on the gun issue in this state.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    Have her check out Pax's web site

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC/TOC.htm

It helped with my wife
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

See if she's willing to just go to the class with you. The information they share in the class might be enough to motivate her. If she goes to the class and still decides that she doesn't want to carry, then at least she'll have made an informed decision.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

My wife has her CCW, but pretty much refused to carry, just did not feel comfortable. We had a bit of a surprise this weekend as we were leaving an eating establishment, and she now has a change of mind. She walked out the door yesterday to church with her 642, and left the house today with it as well. I guess getting spooked helped her decide. Your mileage may vary..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Gun & Self Defense For Women

more or less 50% of the population is what - Female

They want to protect themselves - Males are not around 24 / 7

They VOTE !

++++++

http://www.2asisters.org/AARP_Letter.html

http://www.2asisters.org/

Fellars as well as Gals may join the SAS.

+++++

Armed Females

http://www.armedfemalesofamerica.com/

Fellars as well as Gals may join Armed Females

++++++

American Women's Self Defense Association (AWSDA)

http://www.awsda.org/

Fellars as well as Gals may join AWSDA

+++++++

Women and Guns (very good reading magazine on guns and gear for women / even men - including Firearm Instructors)

http://www.womenandguns.com/

When you figure that one out, let me know.

As I have said before, my wife more or less tolerates my habit. She has no interest in firearms what so ever. I have asked her to go to the range with me in the past, but have only succeded in getting her to go once.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Thanks

These are all great suggestions.
    I asked her to go to the class with me anyhow and she said she has no interest in carrying a gun.
    she dont have a problem with ccw in general she said she just wouldnt feel comfortable with one.
    so maybe the best thing to do would be to just let it be for now.

what do you think??

Senior Moderator
    My husband had it pretty darned easy. He brought me home my Bersa as an engagement gift and said something to the effect of, "You can't carry this now, but eventually I would like you to get your CCW, especially for when I'm going to be out of town and you'll be on your own."
    I said, "Okay."
    To be honest I hadn't even thought of concealed carry because I'm from Wisconsin. It was never legal growing up, so I didn't even think about it.
    After getting my permit I carried on and off for awhile, more when I was going to certain places or when my husband was gone.
    My husband had an "incident" where he needed to draw his gun. I realized that if he had not had a gun I may have been visited by a chaplain that night instead of welcoming my husband home.

There have been days since where I haven't carried, but 99 times out of 100 that I leave my home my gun is going with me.

It's become a part of me. I feel as naked without my gun as I do without my wedding ring.

Pick up a few issues of a magazine that has real stories where concealed carry saved lives (I think the NRA magazine has such articles). Let her read the success stories herself.

However, make sure she's ready for the responsibility of carrying a weapon for defense. I always say, "A gun in the hands of someone who's unwilling to use it is worse than no gun at all."

When I put my gun on my hip for my very first night of concealed carry, my husband said, "You realize you are carrying a loaded gun, right?"
    "Of course."
    "And you are ready and willing to KILL another human being in order to defend yourself?"
    "Yes, I am."

That was that. If she's not ready for that responsibility then let it go. No one should be placed in that kind of a situation who is not entirely prepared for it.

Women do have a tendency to be more gentle and non-violent, it's no surprise then that even women who are comfortable with guns don't want to carry them. They don't consider themselves equipped for that kind of responsibility, or simply, they just don't want it. That is completely okay.

If that's the case, look into self-defense classes and pepper spray, stun guns, or mace or something less lethal with which she can defend herself.
    Last edited by limatunes; March 5th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Take her to see "Zodiac".

i think ladies night at the range would be a great idea i think some women feel intimidated if they where going to a range filled with that much testosterone and weapons if there were alot of other women there new to this or experianced they would feel much more comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Take her to see "Zodiac".
    Yep, followed by a tour of the nearest maximum security prison....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links