Touchy Subject

Touchy Subject

This is a discussion on Touchy Subject within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I ask this question I want to make it perfectly clear that in no way am I making fun of, or belittling people with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchy Subject

Touchy Subject

Before I ask this question I want to make it perfectly clear that in no way am I making fun of, or belittling people with any psychiatric condition. I care for them as if they were anyone else. So, please don't waste your time name calling and accusing me of attacking someone personally. That is not the case or point of my question.

With that said I will try and phrase the question as tactfully as I can. Here it goes....................... 1. If a person is under psychiatric care (meaning, medications are being prescribed to the patient) are they allowed to own a gun?

The Rationale: If people with psychiatric conditions, who are currently on medications and under doctors care, are not allowed to own guns, then why is Rosie O'donnell even entering into this debate. I caught a article today that highlighted her psychiatric problems and use of antideppressant medications. I truely am concerned for her well being and do wish her well in getting better, however, I do not believe she or anyone else under psychiatric care should be the front person pushing gun control. By law she is not even allowed to own a gun. Why is she even in this debate?

Again, Rosie.........I truely do hope you get well and I honestly do wish you the best, but this is one debate you should not be involved in.

I think in most states you only aren't allowed to get a carry license if you've been commited.
    But yeah, Rosie is such a crock. She got depression triggered by columbine because she felt like it was her own kids(She doesn't even have any does she?). So to cure that she pops pills and hangs upside down every day. A little batty if I do say so.

yes, otherwise someone has to decide that this person doesn't get to own a firearm.

the next year someone gets to decide wether this person can own a firearm.
    the next year a different person has the job, and they start deciding to keep their patients under longer and longer term care, not changing the psych. work but politically extending their technical "gun law" definition of "under care"

later that year we're disarming people by choice of some private caregivers who may have some crazy agenda.

don't give up your guns, don't take other people's guns away.

if a person is so bad they need to be institutionalized (even for a while) don't let them take their CCW with them to the looney bin, but for crap sakes when they get out they have access to ropes and cars and shovels and axes and chainsaws and every other killing machine they could ever want.

Rosie and her "partner" have adopted kids.

Mississippi's CCW regs prohibit a permit if the applicant has been in a mental health facility for treatment with in the past 3 years.

....im confused as to why we're sensitive to Rosie O'Donnel's feelings.

she sure as heck doesnt mind opening her mouth and insulting anyone she feels like.

she's an idiot, and i'll shed no tears when that whale is harvested.
    Last edited by rocky; March 8th, 2007 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Lead Moderator
    States vary as to what point a person isn't allowed to own firearms. Or can again own em.
    I think most folks who have mental problems will grab a weapon of opportuntity if they are going to kill or injure someone. Otherwise we would hear about many more shootings.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

She's a pill poping attention hog. She says whatever she can to get noticed. I mean after the Stakeout movie she dissapeared off the face of the earth for a decade, now she is in the news all the time b/c of what she says. I guess any press is good press for her. Let's see, she is profiting from the first amendment, but all we ask is for the second amendment to be protected. I wonder how she would feel if the first amendment was changed and she couldn't profit from her big mouth, she'd go hungry.

Well I will tell you I have 2 friends that are Bi-Polar and there is no freakin way they should ever have a gun. They have never been admitted to a health facility for mental instability but they are taking meds to control the problem. One of them actually does have guns in his house. I see a problem here...

Rosie is claiming that she has suffered from depression since Columbine, she states that the school shooting was the catalyst for her illness.
    LINK
    So, in my 'view' she is blaming guns for her problems.

She's a waste of my time , I prefer to pay attention to rational, balanced women.

Just want to point something out here. Anti depressants are prescribed for more than just depression, it's pretty common for doctors to use them in the treatment of chronic nerve pain. Case in point, all those Cymbalta commercials currently running on TV make no mention of the fact that the FDA also approved it for use in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Pain (DPNP) and doctors have the descretion to prescribe medications as they see fit (at least to some extent). Automatically restricting someone from owning guns because they're being prescribed anti depressants would be a dangerous road to travel.

In any case, the TN application for an HCP makes no mention of treatment for mental health. They do, however, ask:

Question 12:
    (A) Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective or have you been commited to or hospitalized in a mental institution?
    (B) Have you had a court appoint a conservator for you by reason of mental defect?
    (C) Have you been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness or other mental incapacity? (T.C.A. 39-17-1351)
    (D) Have you been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in T.C.A. 33-6-104 because of mental illness within seven (7) years from the date of application? (T.C.A. 39-17-1351)

The application for an FFL-03 (C&R license) likewise makes no mention of mere treatment, they ask if you have ever:

Been adjudicated as a mental defective, which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs, or ever been committed to a mental institution? (page 2, question 13)

I know form 4473 has similar language but without the form handy I can't directly quote the exact wording.
    Jack

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    There is a man very close to me who suffers from PTSD from a private citizen side shooting and numerous car wrecks. It is controlled through medication and he used to attend counselling before they told him he didn't have to any longer.

He came up to me and asked how to go about getting his firearms permit in Indiana. I told him he'd have to be endorsed by a psychiatric doctor (psychiatrist or psychologist). His former psychologist was very ant-gun, but his pschyiatrist not only wrote the letter but actually whole-heartedly endorsed him for a firearm. That says a lot as a shooting would come back on the psychiatrist.

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    What I think is absolutely crazy about her is the fact that she's SOO anti-gun, but was enraged when the press released that her bodyguard was applying for a Concealed Weapons Permit. She said that now she needs armed body guards because the world knows she's unarmed.

What a hypocrite! I can't stand her.

Why can't we get any really popular and outspoken people on OUR side?

Innocent until proven guilty in America. People should be allowed to do what they want until they infringe upon another individual. This pre-emptive crap has to stop before no one can do anything!

Rosie is an idiot.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; March 8th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Fat Rosie should drink a quart of battery acid.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Depends on what state and what type of diagnosis you or the person may have. All records are sealed under the HIPA laws so it would be difficult for the feds to find out anyway. Steve48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links