Question about carrying on motorcycle trip.

Question about carrying on motorcycle trip.

This is a discussion on Question about carrying on motorcycle trip. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle Some friends and myself are planning on a 14 day motorcycle tour from Oregon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Question about carrying on motorcycle trip.

Hi all,

this is my first post so please be gentle

Some friends and myself are planning on a 14 day motorcycle tour from Oregon to ID, MT, WY,UT, NV. We will me visiting a couple of National Parks along the way.

My question is: I'm planning on taking a firearm with me; am I better off bringing my tactical shotgun with a collapsible stock and short (legal) barrel, or a pistol?

Both would probably end up packed in my gear rather than on me, One of us that is going is a LEO so he should have his .40 with him @ all times. I'm just looking for something while were in the bush.

This is a dual-sport trip so some of the time will be off-road away from civilization. I don't like to be out without something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Well, you asked for opinions - not saying any answer you get will be the right one - just what others would do. In saying that - I'd take the handgun.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I would have to vote for the handgun. With the handgun you can keep it on your person were it is available quickly if needed. Chances are if you need a weapon it is needed now. I don't think you will be able to deploy the shotgun as quickly. Not to mention the problems securing the weapon when not on the bike. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy and stay safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    Good you have an LE buddy and the .40 will provide good security.

I think for me and the ''boonies'' aspect, I would choose a substantial wheel gun to pack in the gear - at least a .357, or better still a .44 mag. Won't take up too much space but, darned nice to have when you can legally have it loaded up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quick run out and buy the Taurus 45/410, LOL. I will have one before deer season for the critters.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I vote for a wheelgun as well, a snubby of some sort. I don't know what kind of bike you ride, but I barely have enough room on my bike for a 7 day trip(bare minimums),let alone a shottie. Then again crotch rockets aren't known for their space.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Handgun, but make sure you are legal in the National Parks, and check each state you will travel through.

Best,
    Jerry

I would bring both. But if I had to choose, I would go with the handgun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

For a brush/hiking type gun I prefer a handgun (revolver especially). You can load 2 of the chambers with shotshells for snakes and the other chambers with HP's for animals/people/whatever.

Shotshells tend to not cycle autos correctly, so that's why I use the revolver for woods carry.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Take a handgun. Consider a Center of Mass gun safe to stow in your bike (saddlebags?) as well for those times you need to keep it out of sight.

Some places (National Parks like Yellowstone) it will be illegal to have a gun with you. Most riders will carry through anyway. Dont open carry.

VIP Member
    Do not go to a National Park with a firearm, bb gun, paintball gun or any gun.

Take the hand gun. It will be easier to keep out of sight hope you have a good trip.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I would take both pack the shotgun and carry when legal the handgun and pack it when you have to.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Also: Concider this:

I teach CC Courses here, and I always share this anecdote with students who ride motorcycles.

About a year ago, i was driving nortch on US 1. It was a pretty nice day, and a Motorcycle passed by me in the left lane. As he passed, my radar immediatly pinged on the Browning Hi-Power in a IWB we has wearing @ approx. 4-5 O'Clock position. His jacket and shirt was flapping around, showing the entire world he was armed.

I tried to catch up with him, and was hoping to give him a subtle "hey buddy your gun is showing gesture", but it wasn't safe to do so.

I guess the point of my diatribe here would be to carefully consider how you carry, and try iy out beforehand to see how said method works after a highway run.

Hope this helps,

RW

I usually take at least one, (what I consider) long motorcycle trip a year (over 500 miles one way). I always carry a handgun, so I'm biased, but that would be my suggestion.

I also check each state for local laws regarding concealed carry and print out a copy to bring on the trip.

Where I can't carry, I pack it away in this:

Note that although the laws regarding National Parks and Forests are Federal, they make references to state laws regarding National Forests.

As an example, here's what I have printed, and carry, on the subject:

USE AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS IN NATIONAL PARKS AND FORESTS

Code of Federal Regulations Title 36 "Parks, Forests, Public Property"

NOTE: The National Parks are administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Forests are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Generally, firearms are prohibited in National Parks but permitted in National Forests.

Firearms being transported through a Park must be rendered "inoperable": unloaded, cased, broken down (if possible) and out of sight. The ranger or gate attendant must be notified of the presence of firearms upon entering the Park.

Firearms and hunting are permitted in National Forests in accordance with state law. Firearms are prohibited in any National Forest designated a game refuge or wildlife preserve except where authorized by the Forest Service.Violation of state firearms laws is prohibited in all National Forests.

Regulations concerning firearms in National parks and Forests may be found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

BTW, sounds like a great place to ride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links